It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
www.facebook.com...

There is his facebook, already sent him a message with the link to this thread and saying how he is a piece of #.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by LogicalRazor

Spoken like a true fobalope

Everyone has a breaking point. Everyone has a stress reservoir inside them bro. Some have a shot glass and some have a 55 gallon drum. Do not belittle your "so called" brothers-in-arms because they deal with what they saw differently than you did. Maybe they saw more, maybe they saw less, maybe they saw different. Doesn't really matter. Doesn't take much to brag about a war record you can't prove does it?

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by shaukuna

Why would you do that?

They seem to have settled it like adults. We are just talking about our own personal takes on it for a personal benefit so as to improve our own state of mind and hopefully understand something we did not before we started, or at least see it in a new light.

At best the guy comes here and we pounce on him with a mob like mentality. So the guy is a jerk. Maybe his wife died, or his mother has cancer, or his dog died, or what ever misfortune he may have had and thats why the guy was being touchy and stand off-ish. Maybe he is just a jerk.

Who knows. The good thing is that he was worthy enough to admit his faults / make amends and the Veteran in question was worthy enough to forgive him and continue on with life.

They will probably laugh about this in a couple years or not even think much of it.

Dont do things like that man. Its not as fulfilling as you think.

edit on 28-8-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

Pretty much giving him a taste of his own medicine.

If he can #ing tell someone off instead of calmly explaining why he didn't want the guy there, then why the # should I show him any kind sympathy or understanding; as he had non himself.

If he didn't want to be understanding of someone who has been to war, needing an Legit service animal so idk, he doesn't have an anxiety attack, randomly remove all of clothes, jumping table to table throwing napkin dispensers everywhere yelling something about bombing the Iraqies.... Not saying he has flashbacks but.... the guy did his duty 20+ years, that at least deserves a little civility.

People wanna make an ass out of themself? Then they should be expected to be called an ass.

And as for it not being fullfilling.... that depends on upon how I would feel, and really I just feel like I told someone off for being a dick, nothing more, nothing less.

If others feel like they want to do the same, more power to em.

He can pop up and say whatever he wants, he was a dick and I hope he never forgets it.
edit on 29-8-2013 by shaukuna because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Somewhat off topic: As a two time Iraqi war vet, I dont have much sympathy for fellow members that were medically retired due to PTSD. Dust yourself off and move on.

He shouldn't have been barred from service though unless him or his dog was disturbing the peace. Two sides to every story.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Some people like dogs and like having them in their homes and sleep on their beds, and have them roaming around the table while they're eating and if that's you then good luck to you.

I don't like any of those things, mainly because I'm highly allergic to animal fur and hairs, and I'm not convinced of their hygiene either.

So if I'm paying to eat in a restaurant then I don't expect to have to sit there coughing and wheezing because someone else wants to bring their dog in with them, for whatever reason.

I'm fed up of hearing about other peoples rights, and how they take precedence over everyone elses.

So what if he was a veteran - how do you know there wasn't another veteran in the restaurant who DID object to a dog coming in - do we then have to go through both of their histories and see which has the saddest story to decide who wins?

You're talking about the health and hygiene effects of everyone in the restaurant against 1 guys "rights" - well tough luck, he loses and the owner was RIGHT!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
When they're going to war, America loves its soldiers. When they're returning, it disowns them:

• Number of veterans as of Sept. 2009: approximately 23 million
• Between 529,000 and 840,000 veterans are homeless at some time during the year
• On any given night, more than 300,000 veterans are living on the streets or in shelters in the U.S.
• Approx. 33% of homeless males in the U.S. are veterans.
• Veterans are twice as likely as other Americans to become chronically homeless
• Veterans represent 11% of the adult civilian population, but 26% of the homeless population
• The number of homeless Vietnam-era veterans, male and female, is greater than the number of soldiers who died during the war.

Sleep tight, America.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Power_Semi

You're talking about the health and hygiene effects of everyone in the restaurant against 1 guys "rights" - well tough luck, he loses and the owner was RIGHT!

You are exactly right, did the guy deserve to be cussed out of the restaurant though?

# did anyone ever consider the possibility of.... having him eat outside?

Im sure moving a table for a vet of 20 years wouldn't be to taxing.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthiestJesus

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Originally posted by TheOutcast
Probably not going to be popular with my opinion, but I agree that dogs shouldn't be allowed into anywhere where food is being prepared or eaten, regardless whether it's a junk yard hound or Lassie.
(Imagine a rat wandering around a restaurant but being told it was okay because it had served in Iraq, it's still a rat)
I'll reluctantly make a concession for guide dogs, but anything beyond that is a no-no for me.
edit on 28-8-2013 by TheOutcast because: to do editing type stuff.

Your shoe is much more likely to be a source of disease than a dog! Domestic dogs live in the same environment as humans, so why should they be considered to be of more risk?
It's a known fact that people who live with dogs tend to be more healthy than those who dont keep dogs!

To be fair dogs lick their ballz , roll around in mud , and generally mess themselves up at every available opportunity ........ that`s why they require a lot of care and attention .... but dogs that have a role such as guide dogs etc. are usually very well trained and cleaned on a regular basis as apposed to your average fun loving ball licking bullet-hole sniffing mutt . As an owner of a restaurant I wouldn`t want any animals at all through my doors to be honest , saying that , I wouldn`t be greasy enough to own a restaurant and charge stupid amounts of money for little portions of crap.

I know women who do the same thing, should they exclude women for the same reasons?

As long as the dogs aren't getting up on the tables licking the plates and silver ware, there shouldn't be an issue.

Jaden

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by MisterMahound
When they're going to war, America loves its soldiers. When they're returning, it disowns them:

• Number of veterans as of Sept. 2009: approximately 23 million
• Between 529,000 and 840,000 veterans are homeless at some time during the year
• On any given night, more than 300,000 veterans are living on the streets or in shelters in the U.S.
• Approx. 33% of homeless males in the U.S. are veterans.
• Veterans are twice as likely as other Americans to become chronically homeless
• Veterans represent 11% of the adult civilian population, but 26% of the homeless population
• The number of homeless Vietnam-era veterans, male and female, is greater than the number of soldiers who died during the war.

Sleep tight, America.

Cry me a river.

What happens is idiots go into service because they aren't educated and they think that when they get back they're owed something or can easily find work...or worse yet, they were sold on the GI Bill. Guess what? If they are drunk free-loaders as vets...they would have been drunk free-loaders without having served. Truth be told, they are no different than any civilian. Believe me, not everyone in uniform is a hero and certainly not all of them are owed respect. There were plenty of douchers I served with. I must have gotten into three fights in Iraq with some of our own. There is this false belief that somehow putting on the uniform automatically makes you captain America. Bull----. Sure, I know guys who I was proud to serve with and had my back & those same guys would be just the same even if they weren't in the service but, you also have the others. Its about character...and not everyone has it. And just like the other guy here who already said so...I have little to no respect for anyone that snapped or went home on account of PTSD. I simply do not buy it. I have my demons and I know I went through mood swings for a long while but, I got over it and I moved on. If I was the owner of that restaurant, I'd have told him to tie his dog to something outside while he eats in the restaurant. Problem solved...no drama. Thus guy wanted attention going to the media. Screw him and the horse he road in on!
edit on 29-8-2013 by LogicalRazor because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaukuna

Originally posted by Power_Semi

You are exactly right, did the guy deserve to be cussed out of the restaurant though?

# did anyone ever consider the possibility of.... having him eat outside?

Im sure moving a table for a vet of 20 years wouldn't be to taxing.

Absolutely, there's no need for being uncivil to the guy and it would have been far better to reach a compromise affably than to create conflict.

A lesson for all Americans perhaps, or at least the politicians.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

I am well aware of that but come on! What if the other patrons in the restaurant didn't want the animal in there? Was the man blind? Why can't he just tie it up out the front like normal people?

What the heck is a service dog anyway? Like a companion for the veteran after the war?

I'm almost certain we don't have that kind of thing happening here in Australia- and for good reason. We don't like animals in our restaurants.

I don't even see why this is news. Sounds like this guy just got upset that his dog couldn't come into the premises. Get over it- I'm sure he's been through worse!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Even if it's a restaurant it's still private property and the owner/manager has the right to kick anybody they want off of the property. The people who might of seen the incident might not come back with their business anymore but other than that it's not going to hurt the restaurant at all.

I would of kicked him out too especially an ex soldier who has PTSD. He's not handicapped he's just crazy. Not everyone see's veterans as hero's who have defended our country...some just see them as souless entities that accepted dirt money to go murder poor people in another country just so some rich guy could make another billion dollars.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
It doesn't matter what you feel about veterans, dogs, restaurants, or their owners.

The simple fact of the matter is that the Big I owner violated the law by denying service due to the presence of a certified service animal. It doesn't matter what type of service animal it is. If it's certified, and not causing disruption, then by law it must be admitted.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
My wife just flew half way across the country to see her mother and she brought our small dog with her. She has done this before and the dog has to be locked in a kennel, but can stay under her seat in the cabin with her.

She was diagnosed with depression and has been taking medication and seeing doctors for years. She asked her doctor for paperwork saying our dog was a "Therapy Dog" so he typed up some one liner stating that it helped her with her anxiety.

This time when she flew, she just walked it or carried it the whole time. It sat on her lap during the flight and we did not have to pay the extra fees.

I'm not trying to say he is taking advantage of his situation by certifying his dog so he can legally take it anywhere, but my recent situation was the first thing I thought of after I watched the video.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by LogicalRazor

Spoken like a true wannabe. I doubt you've EVER been in the service with the attitude you carry for other veterans

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

Different situations entirely, Mr. Glaser has the full backing of the American's with Disabilities Act, and businesses are legally required to honor the fact that he has a service dog and give him the same service as any other customer.

The issues with the same sex marraige lawsuits are being judged on other issues.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

You are right that the restaurant has the right to refuse service and if the owner had not stated that he was refusing service due to the service animal this would be a completely different issue. Since Russell Ireland specifically stated that he was refusing service because he did not believe that the dog was a "real service animal" he, himself, placed this squarely into an ADA issue.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

This is truly horrible to hear. A war veteran has gone through alot of pain and sadness already, and now even a restaurant refuses him?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthiestJesus
Whilst I agree that this is pathetic of the owner , I need to point out that I do not like the way I`m having this man`s service background slammed in my face as if he is more important than anyone else simply because he was in the forces . Obviously written that way to stir up emotions and "rally the troops" , a shame really because the story is big enough without the whole "patriot" string pulling routine .

you were not having the man's military service "SLAMMED INTO YOUR FACE"

Obviously YOUR EMOTIONS got stirred up.

It was written to explain who and why he has the dog.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join