It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Son is going to Japan, what advice can I give him?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I've done my best to advise him of the dangers and convince him not to go. He is stubborn like I am and is set to go. He loves Japan, speaks the language fluently. He is 22. This is his 2nd trip. He first went as an exchange student when he was in High School 6 years ago.
What can I advise him to do, be aware of, take with him etc to protect himself as best he can against what is going on over there. He is planning to go second week of October.

Thanks in advance

M

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Learn Japanese....learn the culture. They are very traditional so respecting their ways is big.

ETA: What are you afraid of in regards to going to Japan? It is a friendly nation to many Westerns.....
edit on 27-8-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Nailed it...make sure he understands the culture. I haven't been there since the late 90's, but I'm sure that aspect has stayed relevant.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I was going to say, dont drink the water..........

Everyone else nailed it though.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Are you referring to Fukashima?

If so, stay away from that area and use a mask (A good one) when outdoors.
Be aware of prevailing winds.
Understand the problem.

P

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Don't eat the fish. Don't eat the garden veggies. Don't drink the milk. Don't eat the meat. Don't eat the rice.
Don't breathe.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mantic

If i had a kid going over there i would advise him of the dangers of radiation poisoning, Depending on how long he will be there I would say try to eat some meals of imported food that is not directly from the poisoned waters from around Japan, I would suggest iodine supplements.

I would advise against swimming in the ocean. As with any situation traveling or staying home i always suggest a good solid fixed blade knife, because they come in handy in so many situations, its ridiculous.

Otherwise just be a Dad and go with your instinct tell him the dangers of stds, mouthing off to the wrong people, and to always be aware. The buddy system is always good specially if he is drinking in a foreign country.

Anyways thats my two cents i wish the best of luck to your son.

p.s.

If i was his dad I would make sure he brought me back a piece of Authentic Japanese Steel.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mantic
I've done my best to advise him of the dangers...

As long as you avoid radiated food from the Fukushima area, there are no dangers.
Japan is one of the safest places in the world.
(apart from the remote chance of death by earthquake)

I've been twice. Would not hesitate to go again.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

I've done my best to advise him of the dangers...

As long as you avoid radiated food from the Fukushima area, there are no dangers.
Japan is one of the safest places in the world.
(apart from the remote chance of death by earthquake)

I've been twice. Would not hesitate to go again.

I think that is where many of us are confused. It is a wonderful country to visit and they are very welcome to outsiders (so long as you don't disrespect their culture). Aside from the obvious in regards to Fukushima, I am curious as to what the OP is afraid of.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I spent some time on Okinawa from 2000-2002 and had quite the enjoyable time out in that part of the world. If he likes spicy foods, go for an awesome Japanese curry place called CoCo's. Holy crap that place is tasty. To this day I still crave it and have even considered getting a passport just to go back there... Also he should watch out for the banana spiders. I hear they have a nasty bite and they like big webs between trees at face level. :/ Speaking of bananas, say no to any and all "banana shows." For the love of all things holy,

do.
not.
go.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
learn the basics of the language at least, and try to use it as much as possible..

carry around a japanese-your language (i assume english) dictionary.

try out something cultural, have an onsen with friends.
dont be afraid to talk to strangers.

sometimes.. Japan is racist to westerners. they think we are not going to understand their way and don't bother to give us the benefit of the doubt.
but go out of the way to show them they are wrong. speak your bad japanese, join in. they usually see pretty quick you are into it and break down those walls!

eat everything.
go to some temples, go to akihabara.

leave the cities.
go into the villages. get off the train and walk around for a few days.

you picked a good day to ask (:
ganbatte!

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies. I'm sorry I wasn't a bit clearer about my concerns. I am concerned about the Fukushima and radiation.

He loves Japan and the culture. He taught himself the language and speaks it fluently. He went over at 16 for a month as an exchange student.

I've expressed my concerns and have done my best to inform him about the radiation situation as best I can. However, because of the lack of any MSM coverage on it, he thinks I am overstating whats happening. I'm going to support him regardless, just want him to be informed and prepared.

link   
I wouldnt go there! And I wouldnt take my kids there! There will be some contamination.
The problem is worse than reported. Only the smallest amount of exposure could trigger a body cell change.

edit on 27-8-2013 by RP2SticksOfDynamite because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by mantic

LOL ohhh boy.....lots of condoms? Why are you trying to protect him from life anyway, thats' stupid he'll never grow if you're treating him like a baby. He's a fully grown man. Don't worry about him. He's fine, deal with yoru own problems that you have.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by RP2SticksOfDynamite

lol you are funny , you don't know what you are talking about but funny .

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by letseeit7

And you are an expert in radiation contamination? I'll believe Arnie Gunderson any day (and he IS an expert).

edit on 27-8-2013 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
If it is radiation he is worried about, maybe he could read this:

Fukushima Radiation Proves Less Deadly Than Feared

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
its all been stated, but summarising a few points.

stay the hell away from fuk u shima. dont eat fish caught anywhere near there. take potassium iodide for his thryoid(i think thats the one). if he plans to have non-mutated kids one day be extra careful. eat as much imported stuff as possible. maybe go way south. landing in osaka is best or southern place. stay away from tokyo where their ground water will be suss. use common sense. know that if exposed he wont even know it til maybe his kids are born. see a psychiatrist before he goes unless he has a death wish. 300 tons of radioactive water are poured into the pacific every day. thats only what they admit. eventually the whole world will be contaminated.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by letseeit7
reply to post by RP2SticksOfDynamite

lol you are funny , you don't know what you are talking about but funny .

Sorry, but looking at your former posts I found this:

That is a good question , Russians used concrete , bury it if they can . It will be hot for more than our lifetime ! I don't know really what is the safest way . The Japanese are screwed as they eat everything in the ocean so they contaminated their food supply . I travel there for work or I used to . Not sure I will volunteer for the next trip . I had co-workers that were there when it happened and the whole ship got crapped up . They all had to go for internal monitoring when they got back . Lucky for them they came out clean but two carriers had contamination all over the flight decks. Soap and water washed over the deck . We did detect levels here in Washington but it has gone back to normal . I don't mind answering question about this but there are some thing s I can not or will not talk about .

ATS thread

I don't understand your about-face on the subject.

edit on 27-8-2013 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Thanks for the replies. I'm sorry I wasn't a bit clearer about my concerns. I am concerned about the Fukushima and radiation.

He loves Japan and the culture. He taught himself the language and speaks it fluently. He went over at 16 for a month as an exchange student.

I've expressed my concerns and have done my best to inform him about the radiation situation as best I can. However, because of the lack of any MSM coverage on it, he thinks I am overstating whats happening. I'm going to support him regardless, just want him to be informed and prepared.

You could buy him a Radiation meter and teach him to use it. See if he wants to prove you wrong! Always a good tactic to employ against your own kids. Here son, prove me wrong!

P

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join