It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Fukushima: STOP THE STUPID

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I notice a lot of fear mongering by certain people on exactly how bad the situation in Fukishima is. I'll be the first to admit that if you live in Northern Japan, maybe even Japan in general you should be seriously concerned. I feel that the situation is bad, but that certain elements are using the fear and ignorance of the general public on anything nuclear to push an agenda. Anyway, I noticed on a blog I read regularly that comments mostly on economic and political issues posted the following

On Fukushima: STOP THE STUPID
from the Market Ticker blog

The bottom line is that there's zero evidence of contamination in amounts that are biologically relevant thus far, despite the repeated claims of those who would like it to be otherwise and are peddling "we're all gonna die" scaremongering nonsense. If you claim that there is such evidence then let's see you produce it. It should not be difficult because the elements in question (Cesium and Strontium) both decay by beta emission (as does Tritium.)

The opinion rightly admits that there is a great deal of concern if you live in the areas nearest the crippled reactors, but lays some heavy criticism and a challenge to prove it on those exploiting fear and ignorance the most. Also, a coupld of really bad worse case scenarios are aknowledged. All assumptions posted in the article us the high range of estimated measurements of release of radiation (prudent given both TEPCO's ineptitude and attempting to refute those attempting to exploit fear and ignorance).

Personally, I don't trust TEPCO, the Japanese government, or nuclear agencies of my own government for that matter, but I dislike those who seek either to profit (by selling books, speaking engagements, or ad revenue from web visits) or advance an agenda (the anti-nuke crowd) on fear and ignorance.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
While there are areas with Chernobyl like contamination levels around the plant, and while there is still a chance of a re-criticality, the people in Japan are relatively safe. But only because they are pumping never seen before amounts of radioactive waste water into the ocean. So my main concern is not Japan but the global effect of this incident.

The impact of that remains to be seen, this is unprecedented in both scale and implications.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

i dont know how anyone can think that there arent going to be exponential effects down the line from dumping all the waste into the ocean..perhaps the dangers are being overstated but i doubt it..big fish eat little fish and the contamination will spread..imho

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I'm sorry - this is my first post here and I do not mean to offend - but I question the merit of that article linked to in the OP and the spirit of the post itself. There appears to be a serious and concerted effort to downplay the significance of what is happening there in Japan and I think it's disingenuous AT BEST to imply there won't be far reaching consequences. There is, of course, a fine line between sounding the alarm to garner awareness for an issue and preaching doomsday to fill your own pockets.

Arnie Gunderson discussing radiation levels

and with regards to any discussion of actual quantities released:

TEPCO's initial estimate's were way off...

In fact, I have found www.enenews.com to be a great source for information - they cite all of their articles, references, and claims; the community there plainly operates with an anti-nuke agenda - but sifting beyond personal opinion there is real documentation available evidencing a truly serious ongoing event at Fukushima that is... frankly not being discussed the way it should be, I think.

I'm all for no fear mongering, but downplaying its severity is as reckless and dangerous as spreading it's an ELE. People are simply not informed! One thing for certain... The situation is ongoing, and its seriousness is unquestionable.
edit on 27-8-2013 by LVoRCOitW because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by LVoRCOitW

Yes, the seriousness is in question, and it will have serious consequences, but if you listen to some people (both on the news, and on ATS) then the entire northern hemisphere is doomed, or this is going to be an ELE. I agree that while we don't need to downplay it to nothing is going to happen, at the same time, we need to stop the stupid.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by LVoRCOitW

And where did I say to do nothing? We need a realistic solution, not running around like chickens because people are saying it's the end of the world, or doing something just to do something. There is too much potential to make things a thousand times worse than they already are, if we just do something to do it.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

And do you honestly think that ANY gov at this point is gonna tell the truth to our harm level?

Seriously, how many times has gov. agencies RAISED the acceptable level of radiation exposure when scientists have repeatedly stated NO level is safe level?

Who defines safe?

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I'm sorry - You have to understand that I consider this to be front page material, of potential concern AT LEAST to anyone living or with family on the west coast of the US, in or around Hawaii or Japan, as well as the western cost of canada. The amount of radiation leaked TO DATE warrants cautionary action by governments world-wide, including educating its people and testing all imported consumables with a potential to be contaminated. That's not fear-mongering, it's common sense.

You created an entire thread, and pointed to one article that is largely false as your support, centered on the notion that the "stupid" calls to attention and of concern regarding the incident need to stop. I submit, that the more I read about it, the worse I discover it to be. It seems that every day brings more BAD NEWS, with no mention whatsoever of the potentially ongoing criticality from the 3 coriums TEPCO doesn't even know where are...

The only clear fact here, to me at least, is that we've migrated into the land of Neverhappenedbefore - no one really know's exactly what would happen if 3 still fissiling nuclear reactor core's remained critical out in the wild, unimpeded. Chine Syndrome? And if so, what happens when all that nuclear fuel makes it to the super-hot liquid-rock mantle beneath the crust?

What is the result of that much caesium being introduced into the ocean - quantities of that size will eventually permeate the lower levels of the food chain as dead bodies and waste accumulate in the ocean normally; radiation that's guranteed to work it's way up the food chain if not at least contaminating its environment.

What of the core fuel itself; if it's not carving slowly through the earth's crust like a hot knife through butter it's floating somewhere, poisoning the water table and the ocean at large with each passing day.

Hell, what are the observable effects of still-reacting coriums swisscheesing the bedrock under your island?

We don't know. That's pretty #ing scary, if you ask me. One thing I found interesting: nowhere in that did I read a single soul calling for anything radical except greater awareness coupled with meaningful action from the world's powers...like testing the food sold within it's borders when faced with a potential contimination event of this magnitude. That seems like a pretty good use of all that tax "they" take from you every year, at gunpoint if necessary, to keep the lights on. I'd say "mitigating a radiological disaster" falls squarely on the shoulder's of government in even the sparsest of models.

So I have to ask - In your original post...I'm trying to wrap my head around it and the only thing I find, frankly, to be stupid - is your uninformed and relative dismissal of it's importance, going so far to imbed a patently false quote indicating there is no proof of radiation in biologically relevant doses and calling that reason enough to "STOP THE STUPID".

Could you point out which dog in this fight is your's for me, please?

This is abovetopsecret, with a reputation for exposing the truth via an above-average-informed base.... yet you thought there was so much uninformed fear-mongering and much ado about nothing to dedicate a thread to putting a stop to it?

Sir. I cry foul.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
This is very much going to be a real issue for us, most likely sooner rather than later.

Fish like this are cropping up all over, and this article is over a week old

Things are getting worse, not better. As far as I can tell, there's only one side I see profiting from the dissemination of false information and lies...

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The reason not much is being done is---there is no obvious solution, not to anyone.

There will be some fish stocks that become more radioactive for a decade or so. Have we seen any published info on current radioactive isotope concentrations in fish stocks?

If all the radioactive isotopes in Fukushima were dissolved in the entire oceans of the world, the increase in detected radiation/m^3 would be essentially undetectable.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MuzzleBreak

Again, with all due respect - I really don't understand on what practical science you base that assertion. You are essentially saying "if the explosive power of hiroshima had been evenly distributed all over the world it'd have been the world's biggest sparkler" or, more plainly, "If a theoretically possible but statistically grossly improbable-best-case-scenario of radiation dispersion occurs - one where every single radioactive nucleotide is perfectly dispersed across all the waters of the world's oceans - the spike in caesium levels would hardly be noticeable."

I submit to you, that long before such massive amounts of radioactive isotopes - including the more harmful caesium and strontium that increase in volume with each passing day as the leaks go unplugged and the corium still lost - could possibly achieve the perfect homeostatic distrubution across the world's waters you propose, they will have first, in their earlier greater concentrations, killed millions of lifeforms the world over - humans included.

That's not fear mongering. The effect's of radiation poisioning are well documented and fairly unwavering.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

i just want to say that we know for a fact from chernobyl radiation causes mutations,so are you ready for two headed great whites ,or salt walter crocs on a plus side we might get cod as big as a whale,30ft crabs coming on shore looking for food,my concern is this is being downplayed,yes it could take a while for these effects to be seen ,but mutations from radiation have been documented,so be prepared for there is some already nasty sea life without these mutations go on op search chernobyl mutations.........sorry but some one has to tell the truth,,this will get ugly

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
While there are areas with Chernobyl like contamination levels around the plant, and while there is still a chance of a re-criticality, the people in Japan are relatively safe. But only because they are pumping never seen before amounts of radioactive waste water into the ocean. So my main concern is not Japan but the global effect of this incident.

The impact of that remains to be seen, this is unprecedented in both scale and implications.

Your Posting is wrong,
the Water used for the Cooling get recycled and/. or stored in the Tanks

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

oh my god how misinformed are you ,some of the tanks are leaking into underground water tables that is a fact they have admitted it,some of the tanks they pumped into the sea themselves as all available tanks where full,come on your supposed to deny ignorance not be a part of it

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

With the highest Regards

I never saw so much Lies, on both Sides
and the Discussion is like the Discussion after Chernobyl
where we had only the Hardliner!

I understand everyone who fear Fukushima
but this do not mean that we should accept lies!

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
well how about 300 hundred tons a day being dumped heres some evidence
news.nationalgeographic.com...
and also here

www.theguardian.com...

question is why are you here flatly denying the truth???????????????????????????????????????????
shareholder in tepco maybe???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by stuthealien

There are 300 Tones of Water used (pumping) in the cooling Cycle (this get filtered and stored)
and there are 300 Tones of Groundwater where Tepco have no influence!

For your better understanding:
Water Leaks

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

you have not read the first link at all have you ,here ill copy some for you

"The government now says it is clear that 300 tons (71,895 gallons/272,152 liters) are pouring into the sea each day,"

can you see the word sea there,thats a big clue

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

If you could just do one thing and indicate precisely which dogs in this fight are yours?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join