It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
School districts have been complaining about financial losses.

Students have been complaining about crappy food.

So now, a few are starting to 'drop out' !!

I guess Pro Tempore 'President' Michelle's program is not good enough to eat or make money off of !!

I bet the contractors make out good however !!

After just one year, some schools around the country are dropping out of the healthier new federal lunch program, complaining that so many students turned up their noses at meals packed with whole grains, fruits and vegetables that the cafeterias were losing money.

Federal officials say they don't have exact numbers but have seen isolated reports of schools cutting ties with the $11 billion National School Lunch Program, which reimburses schools for meals served and gives them access to lower-priced food.

Districts that rejected the program say the reimbursement was not enough to offset losses from students who began avoiding the lunch line and bringing food from home or, in some cases, going hungry.

Some school districts quit healthier lunch program

Related
Kentucky students to first lady Michelle Obama: Your food ‘tastes like vomit’

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

School districts have been complaining about financial losses.

Teachers needs to take a pay cut then.

There pay is more important than the food their student's eat.

Oh and why is it that schools,hospitals, and prisions all serve the lousiest food ?

They all shop at the same grocery store?

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
In my opinion learning to eat healthier food comes from home. If kids have been fed with crappy food at home that is what they prefer out too and that crappy food is what they are going to fed to their offspring too..
Its known that what pregnant woman choses as her diet, her child also have a "taste" to similar food.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

You can't just plonk something "new" down in front of kids and expect them to instantly love it - as any parent will tell you!!

It takes persuasion - call it propaganda if you want, but it is true - if amerce wants to stop the current generation from being the lardiest ever then you have to actually change your society's attitude to food - start worshiping fruit and veges instead of fries and burgers, parents and teachers and politicians and all need to lead by example, and so forth.

social engineering?? you bet.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by dollukka

You can't just plonk something "new" down in front of kids and expect them to instantly love it - as any parent will tell you!!

It takes persuasion - call it propaganda if you want, but it is true - if amerce wants to stop the current generation from being the lardiest ever then you have to actually change your society's attitude to food - start worshiping fruit and veges instead of fries and burgers, parents and teachers and politicians and all need to lead by example, and so forth.

social engineering?? you bet.

But if the food is garbage, they still won't like it !!

We are not at the '100th monkey' stage yet !!

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

the food isn't "garbage" - it is stuff they are not used to and do not understand.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by xuenchen

the food isn't "garbage" - it is stuff they are not used to and do not understand.

well um but...

what is it then ?

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Our school won't even provide salt, pepper, ketchup etc. I collect the little packets from the people at work who eat fast food, for the days she needs to eat school lunch (she takes her lunch most of the time).

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
The school here serves canned fruit packed in syrup. NOT fresh fruit. Veggies, canned flavorless, nothing fresh.
Meat can be compared to cardboard. No salt, pepper or ketchup to help choke it down.

Why pay for this when we can provide from home fresh fruit and veggies, home cooked meals from leftovers. Much more healthier foods from home (and no, no potato chips and rice krispie bars come from home at my house for lunch).

And yes, I have eaten with my children at the school many times in the past years just to see what they are eating and complaining about.
edit on 27-8-2013 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
My son's school is still using this plan for this year. He isn't a picky eater and does like good food. For instance, today him and 1 other kid in his class were the only ones to pick and eat broccoli & chicken bake from the school menu. He said it was pretty good.

Yes, the portions are smaller with this program, but my son just buys double lunches and they allow it....Any leftovers at the end of the last lunch group (6th grade is last to eat) get to have extras to eat whatever is left over.

I really don't see how this program helps since the kids can still get more than the "allotted amounts".

A_L

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

I agree. I saw a documentary (will try to find it again) which showed quite clearly that certain food additives and flavorants are quite addictive in a way.

They tried an experiment on babies who apparently know naturally when they're full, but just adding these agents to their food overrides any natural feelings of satiation on the brain, and they will keep eating.
It's almost a way of beating evolutionary instincts by heightening the flavors and fats of foods our ancestors craved for survival.

There's salt and sugar, and MSG, but even artificial fruit tastes are far more concentrated than natural fruits and vegetables.

If the kids are still getting the artificial sweets and drinks at home, then its not surprising that the healthier food tastes like nothing comparatively.

I do get tempted standing in line at the supermarket (or even pharmacy), and all these packets of so-called Vitamin C sweets are seducing me.
That orange on the packet is dripping with juice, and the strawberry is so deliciously red, and smiling at me invitingly.
The taste doesn't disappoint.
In fact, it's many times better than a real strawberry.
I've had a real strawberry afterwards and it's all sour and yuck...but normally they're quite delicious.

Well, some say at the beginning one actually has to go cold turkey on all that artificial stuff, just for the natural sensation of taste to return.

edit on 27-8-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Bring back the tots - big fan!

new topics

top topics

join