First 3D-printed rifle successfully fires 14 shots

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Thought this was kind of neat and didn't find it posted yet. Forgive me if I'm a Johnny-come-lately again.

Matthew managed to fire 14 shots before the plastic around the barrel cracked. When first testing the rifle, Matthew used a string to pull the trigger from a distance. Now, he seems confident enough to pull the trigger by hand.

www.smh.com.au...

Looks like homemade firearms are right around the corner.. and only a few leaps away from full-on Star Trek like replicators, it seems.

3D-printed guns have inspired increased debate on the availability of blueprints for such weapons. Cody Wilson, creator of the Liberator, posted the gun's blueprints online for anyone to access. Although the plans were taken down at the request of the US government, they remain widely available on file-sharing networks. Since then, improvements and tweaks have been made to those blueprints.

www.smh.com.au...

I wonder what sort of hackneyed legislation is being drawn up to restrict the use of 3D printing technology. The video was removed from youtube, but you can watch it here mashable.com...

edit on 27-8-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Imagine if someone came up with the idea of making some sort of drug in their own home.

It would be really popular.

Hmm?

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
The big industrialists have to get rid of 3D printers.

It gives us the ability to repair many things rather than buying a new one. Car manufacturers will hate it. They go to a lot of trouble to make sure no-one can make spare parts apart from the ones they make and sell with insane profits. They currently copyright all of their spare parts.

Let alone what happens all over the world as people start obtaining plans for everything they need. It will seriously effect their bottom line.

Weapons is the least of it!

It is all about profits.

P

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Its not so much the firearm printed out, but the ammunition that is the real worry, no ammo, no bang!

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
The big industrialists have to get rid of 3D printers.

It gives us the ability to repair many things rather than buying a new one.

Exactly what I was thinking! It would be a major shift for many industries if people could start making and repairing their appliances instead of buying new ones. The "planned obsolete-ness" business model will have to change! What's best for the consumer is bad for business

Is this the crushing blow to the manufacturing industry?

edit on 27-8-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I thought they were already onto that:
www.rsc.org...

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
3d printing still has some way to go, vibrations can affect the printing process causing it to be a waste of time and the time taken for some of these projects means its a day a try if you are not there to supervise the process so stopping any failed ones

It won't kill manufacturing as if you need a part for a car and you want to use the car that day it will be quicker to walk to the store and purchase the part rather than sit around for 8 hours hoping it works and you still will need to tidy up the printed item

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
This is an interesting technology. I think using it first to make things to kill with is about typical of man and I so don't want to hear people keep blaming ONLY Government for being blood lusting killers, eager to make more thngs to do it with. These are average, normal and private citizens...and do they make medical devices to save what some cost for a month's salary? Hell no... how boring. Do they make a new Carburetor and revolutionize the secondary car parts market forever? Hell no... That isn't sexy.

Do they perhaps, make spare appliance, bicycle or heavy equipment parts to demonstrate the day of the assembly line is moving toward a close? Nawwww.....

They make things to kill other people with, pushing to the absolute ragged edge of every law imaginable and quite literally looking at the ATF at saying Nyah Nyah! Come get me!
I DARE ya!

Nice.... The most promising tech to come along in a lifetime at least...and it's wasted down the crapper of new regulation and over-burden because we HAD to use it to find better ways to turn living bodies into dead ones.

Do we EVER get off our sick fascination with new ways to make dead bodies out of live ones?? This could well shoot the new tech in the knees before most have even had a chance to see one function in person.
edit on 27-8-2013 by wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

I think I'll stick to guns with metal barrels. They can fire thousands of shots without cracking, instead of just 14.

But plastic handguns would be an airport security concern and 14 shots would be enough to cause problems on an aircraft.

Plastic rifles are not as much of a concern with airport security, since they are harder to conceal.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Wrab, if you think the 3d gun is about killing people you are "dead" wrong.
Its about a certain phrase in the US constitution.
"shall NOT be infringed."
I am sure you know it well................
peace out .........s

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

It gives us the ability to repair many things rather than buying a new one. Car manufacturers will hate it. They go to a lot of trouble to make sure no-one can make spare parts apart from the ones they make and sell with insane profits. They currently copyright all of their spare parts.

The company will sell you the 'design' file so you can make your own. They still get their cut.
Since the 'design' is copyrighted you cannot leagally post it on line. And they will get file sharing sites in line in the not too distant future.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Wow by this discovery, guns will be less costly and more available.It means more murders and more live loss.Man is discovering many things to kill there own people.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

I think I'll stick to guns with metal barrels. They can fire thousands of shots without cracking, instead of just 14.

But plastic handguns would be an airport security concern and 14 shots would be enough to cause problems on an aircraft.

Plastic rifles are not as much of a concern with airport security, since they are harder to conceal.

Well...if you read the article, it only takes one shot at a time and must be taken apart to be reloaded then put together again. Not exactly the type of weapon you could really get more than one shot off with before everyone around took you down.

top topics

join