It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists to Announce 'Major Result' from Star Study Wednesday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
So is this the disclosure of our second Sun or the lack of one

Nibiru anybody Ok OK maybe not
what your best overall guess

The finding relates to research on medium-size stars, scientists said. The results will "shed light on a long-standing mystery about stars like our own sun," according to a statement by the European Southern Observatory, which operates the Very Large Telescope. The results come from data collected by the UVES spectrograph on the telescope.

www.space.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

The scientists will share their discovery and discuss its implications

I think they have known about this for many year
just they probably can't hide it much longer
my guess it has to do with ISON

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Trillium
[more

Could the mystery be about the solar dynamo?

The solar dynamo is ...the flowing, electrically charged gas within the sun that generates its magnetic field, and that magnetic fluctuations trigger solar explosions. "But which of the many dynamo models is right is uncertain," said solar physicist Paul Charbonneau of the University of Montreal.

The article continues, going over the super hot corona, the Maunder Minimum, and "erratic sibling stars."

Source: Space.com
www.space.com...

edit on 27-8-2013 by drwill because: More about link

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
There is a huge amount that is not known about starts the size of the sun, it probably will not be anything too radical, and probably would be mundane by ats standards, so those hoping for scientists to say niburu exists or something to that extend, don't get your hopes up just yet.

Nontheless it will probably be scientifically interesting and may help explain more about the sun.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
There are several theoretical problems with our sun that stump solar scientist.

However, since the announcement says it has to do with the UVES on their telescope (used for Ultra Violet) it might be something to do with the Sun's corona:

The optical surface of the Sun (the photosphere) is known to have a temperature of approximately 6,000 K. Above it lies the solar corona, rising to a temperature of 1,000,000–2,000,000 K.[70] The high temperature of the corona shows that it is heated by something other than direct heat conduction from the photosphere.

Most observations of the corona are done in UV ( if you look at the SOHO viewer's AIA pictures the EM spectrum is in the UV range, with 4500 nm being the exception as that is visible light).

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

Erm, how did you manage to associate a study about medium-sized stars with Nibiru, or the comet ISON? Minds of conspiracy believers truly function in mysterious ways.
Nibiru is supposed to be a planet, the last time I checked.

The results will "shed light on a long-standing mystery about stars like our own sun," according to a statement by the European Southern Observatory, which operates the Very Large Telescope.

Too bad Space.com doesn't specify what long-standing mystery they're talking about, and they don't link to their original sources (they never do). So the quest is on to find the source article, which hopefully will provide more information.

P.S. Here's the source: www.eso.org...
No hints about what mystery it is, but I guess that's the point of doing a press conference and having everyone excited and waiting.

An international team led by astronomers from the University of São Paulo in Brazil has used the UVES spectrograph on ESO’s Very Large Telescope to shed light on a long-standing mystery about stars like our own Sun.

The Institute of Astronomy, Geophysics, and Atmospheric Sciences (IAG) at the University of São Paulo (USP) in Brazil, in collaboration with the European Southern Observatory, will hold a press conference to announce the results and assess their implications, offering journalists the opportunity to discuss with and interview the scientists.

The conference will be held on 28 August 2013, at 10:30 local time (BRT) and will take place in Portuguese with a summary in English.

edit on 27-8-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

UVES is a spectrograph, so I assume that the study is more about chemical composition.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Religious organizations still feel however, that we still need to do so many things to go to heaven. They make up traditions and rituals to make them feel like they’re doing good and that they are finding favor in God’s eyes. What they don’t know is that they cannot attain grace on their own. The Master Prophet and his school of prophets declare this message to the world and help those who are in need of prophetic guidance. Prophecy will teach you that God has given you the gift of grace and what you can do in order to make the most out of this gift. Not only will you be able to deepen your relationship with God, but HE will also show you your undiscovered talents and skills that you can utilize in order to have a prosperous life!

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Here is a link to their official web site.
Link

The Very Large Telescope capabilities

The Very Large Telescope array (VLT) is the flagship facility for European ground-based astronomy at the beginning of the third Millennium. It is the world's most advanced optical instrument, consisting of four Unit Telescopes with main mirrors of 8.2m diameter and four movable 1.8m diameter Auxiliary Telescopes. The telescopes can work together, to form a giant ‘interferometer’, the ESO Very Large Telescope Interferometer, allowing astronomers to see details up to 25 times finer than with the individual telescopes. The light beams are combined in the VLTI using a complex system of mirrors in underground tunnels where the light paths must be kept equal to distances less than 1/1000 mm over a hundred metres. With this kind of precision the VLTI can reconstruct images with an angular resolution of milliarcseconds, equivalent to distinguishing the two headlights of a car at the distance of the Moon.

Top Ten Discoveries Link
I haven't a clue what this could divulge but the words 'Major' and 'implications' have grabbed my attention.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
reply to post by eriktheawful

UVES is a spectrograph, so I assume that the study is more about chemical composition.

Right, for the UV wavelength.

The temperature of the corona (millions of degrees) vs the sun's surface (only thousands of degrees) has been a big mystery for scientist for many, many decades. Study of the corona is normally at UV wavelengths as it is best seen using that spectrum. the UVES helps look at the chemical make up of the corona.

So that's about the only thing I can think of that would be "big" news, as it's a issue that has stumped scientist for a long time.

But we'll see. Could be something completely unrelated to the sun's corona.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatnext21
...I haven't a clue what this could divulge but the words 'Major' and 'implications' have grabbed my attention.

It may be "Major" to a scientist interested in the way stars work, but it could be so esoteric that most people may not understand why it is a "major result" (or understand, but just not care).

edit on 8/27/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Dunno if this is related to this news item: Oldest Sun-Like Star Previews Sun's Fate
www.space.com...

or it merits it's own thread. Cue the ATS crowd going "omg, the Sun does have a binary twin!"

Having looked at this link, I think that yes, the anouncement is about this star: www.eso.org...

The mystery in question is that the Sun seems to have very little Lithium. The results show that the star they have examined (which is identical to the Sun, only much older) contains even less of Lithium, leading to the conclusion that sun-like stars expend their Lithium supply in some way. A new puzzle for astrophysicists, methinks

Original anouncement article: www.eso.org...
Scientific paper: iopscience.iop.org...

The star at Sky-Map.com - click on it for more info and previous scientific studies.

Here it is as imaged by WISE infrared space telescope (image created from data at skyview.gsfc.nasa.gov...)

edit on 28-8-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Im gonna guess it will be exciting if your an astronomer, otherwise it will be "huh!!!!! How is that important?"

I hope Im wrong

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
Im gonna guess it will be exciting if your an astronomer, otherwise it will be "huh!!!!! How is that important?"

I hope Im wrong

You don't need to be an astronomer to be curious about the universe and how it works. The birth, life, and death of stars is quite a fascinating topic for me, and the fact that in this way we learn about our own Sun makes it even more special. But yeah, many people will just say "huh?" and accuse scientists of feeding us bull# while hiding something important

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Anyone found any announcement in regards to this??

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaleshwarchand777
Anyone found any announcement in regards to this??

Yes, it's all in my post above with links and a picture.
Here's the official announcement if you just wanna go straight to it: www.eso.org...

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
thanks, don't know how I did not see that.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Yep, just as predicted not at all exciting outside of astronomy circles.

These nerds need to get a grip and stop getting the general public excited about what basically amounts to nothing.
Why they felt this needed any sort of build up or pre announcement is beyond me

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
Yep, just as predicted not at all exciting outside of astronomy circles.

These nerds need to get a grip and stop getting the general public excited about what basically amounts to nothing.
Why they felt this needed any sort of build up or pre announcement is beyond me

If this counts as nothing to you, why are you looking at astronomy news in the first place? Or are you only interested in aliens, Nibiru, doomsday, and other non-scientific stuff?

The anouncement is important to science, it help us understand our own Sun and the Solar System better. But I guess these posts and articles are wasted on you.
I'm sure there are plenty of astronomy enthusiasts who find this sort of news interesting. I know I do, and I don't even own a telescope. But I want to know how the Sun works, what processes go on inside it, and where it will be in the billions of years to come.

P.S. More often than not, it's the fault of media headlines for generating unneeded expectations. They can make it look like it's gonna be world-shattering revelations, whereas it's simply scientific findings significant enough for a press conference.
edit on 2-9-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Dont get me wrong, it is interesting and will tell us alot, but seriously why the need for the big build up?
Why couldnt they just announce it when they announced when they would be announcing it?

I can understand if they needed more time to make sure of the data but that obviously wasnt the case.

As an enthusiast did you feel it was worth the build up?

new topics

top topics

join