It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Save Post Temporarily" button : is there a need for it? Yes! What say you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
"Save Post Temporarily" button : is there a need for it?

I say yes, it will be an excellent addition to ATS.

A "Save Post Temporarily" button next to the Preview button,

Reason:

It gives members the ability to review, edit, add or change a post/thread before posting it.

It also eliminates the need for a third party programs such as notepad/word pad/ word editor.

Also, there will be no chance of losing your well constructed post since it's save inside ATS.

Is this hard to do? A "Save Post Temporarily" button next to the Preview button?

Members / Mods - any input would be a big help.

Just askin.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I personally don't see a need for it, there's nothing complicated or time consuming about using text document editing software to construct a post before copy and pasting it here.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
i find sometimes with a so so internet connection i will "loose" a post as it is being submitted. but a "temp save" button would not help. on the other hand a quick "copy", will do the trick as can just "paste" if it gets lost. if i am wanting to say work on something over time a quick "copy paste" to "sticky notes" works well.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCrimsonGhost
I personally don't see a need for it, there's nothing complicated or time consuming about using text document editing software to construct a post before copy and pasting it here.

yeah but sometimes I have to search where the heck I saved my file or which computer i used or which program i used to type in my post. Like I said - would be good to have it in one place.

Thanks for the input TheCrimsonGhost.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by generik
i find sometimes with a so so internet connection i will "loose" a post as it is being submitted. but a "temp save" button would not help. on the other hand a quick "copy", will do the trick as can just "paste" if it gets lost. if i am wanting to say work on something over time a quick "copy paste" to "sticky notes" works well.

Yeah - this is ok if you don't have any picture or video linked to your post.

Thanks for the input generik

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

ABSOLUTELY INDEED.

BETTER YET, AN AUTOSAVE FUNCTION--EVEN TO OUR OWN HD'S OR WHEREVER . . . I'm still not in the habit of copying to my own buffer before I hit reply. Sigh.

I hate losing long posts. Slow learner on that score.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN
reply to post by edmc^2

ABSOLUTELY INDEED.

BETTER YET, AN AUTOSAVE FUNCTION--EVEN TO OUR OWN HD'S OR WHEREVER . . . I'm still not in the habit of copying to my own buffer before I hit reply. Sigh.

I hate losing long posts. Slow learner on that score.

Hi Bo - I think we need to start a movement to get this rolling

Thanks!

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
will it really work any better than someone typing text in like they normally would for a post?
Seems to me that it is really creating an "unpublished" post and then when you are ready to post it publicly, it is then a "published" work. That concept I do not have a problem with as I have many corporations doing the same via SharePoint for their portals and it works well.

What I do not know is how significantly different this procedure will be from what is there now. If the intent is to allow someone to write and then save temporarily, does this use the same mechanism as posting? If so, won't it be plagued by the same issues with browser connections and so on or simply taking too long to save their post that the session times out or the post gets lost somehow?
Or, will this be a posting page with a timer that auto-saves if the post textbox is dirty?

Aside from the ability to delay the posting, how do you envision it being better in terms of entering the post content?

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by evc1shop
will it really work any better than someone typing text in like they normally would for a post?
Seems to me that it is really creating an "unpublished" post and then when you are ready to post it publicly, it is then a "published" work. That concept I do not have a problem with as I have many corporations doing the same via SharePoint for their portals and it works well.

What I do not know is how significantly different this procedure will be from what is there now. If the intent is to allow someone to write and then save temporarily, does this use the same mechanism as posting? If so, won't it be plagued by the same issues with browser connections and so on or simply taking too long to save their post that the session times out or the post gets lost somehow?
Or, will this be a posting page with a timer that auto-saves if the post textbox is dirty?

Aside from the ability to delay the posting, how do you envision it being better in terms of entering the post content?

It's going to be better in my humble opinion because I can come back later with better idea than what I had before. It stinks to make an edit after someone has replied to it already.

But I see your point -

the intent is to allow someone to write and then save temporarily, does this use the same mechanism as posting? IIf so, won't it be plagued by the same issues with browser connections and so on or simply taking too long to save their post that the session times out or the post gets lost somehow? Or, will this be a posting page with a timer that auto-saves if the post textbox is dirty?

Not sure how this is done. Those who write codes probably can answer your excellent Qs.

My point is to eliminate any third party program and saved in just one place - ATS.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by evc1shop

My impression is that the PREVIEW button functions totally on our own computers from whatever is downloaded with the window we type or paste a post into.

Why not have another function with that "package" or module that maybe saves what we type every 30 seconds or whatever to a temporary file on our HD. And then if it didn't go through when we tried to post it, arrowing back could be structured so as to retrieve it from the temp file, it seems to me.

But then, what do I know. I'm just and ignorant layman who's had a computer or terminal in my home since 1976.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

I think saving it to ATS will, as our correspondent has noted, be somewhat as problematic as posting when the connection is tenuous.

Perhaps saving both to ATS and our own temp files would be a good way to go. The save to ATS as well as the save to our temp file could both be deleted automatically when the post successfully posted. It seems to this layman.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
no

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I would say yes, I get to the last line, 150 characters left, or there a bouts and go to put up link and wham lost the post , it would be nice to have a "save temp" button for this reason, or if you have a post not worthy of posting, it will give you time to rethink it before posting it. but then you can use copy button on your mouse pop up list this post was done in this mode

I would say yes, I get to the last line, 150 characters left, or there a bouts and go to put up link and wham lost the post , it would be nice to have a "save temp" button for this reason, or if you have a post not worthy of posting, it will give you time to rethink it before posting it. but then you can use copy button on your mouse pop up list this post was done in this mode

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Saving to your local file system is not as trivial as you may think it is. Browser security will not just give the ATS site the ability to access your file-system as that would leave you open to many potential vulnerabilities including virus and Trojan backdoor access type intrusions. Direct, unsupervised, access to files systems is not a best practice and defeats the safety/security of the browser.

If the new version is using HTML5, (I have not seen the new version yet) there is the possibility of using the new Web Storage feature of the newer browsers that support this. This can be thought of as a small storage area, somewhere between 2-10MB but certainly enough space to park a text file until it is ready for upload to ATS. This could be used in conjunction with browser capabilities detection to let users, who have support for this feature, take advantage of it.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by evc1shop

Understand.

That would work.

Whatever's functional, safe, relatively easy and intuitive.

Thx for your input.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by evc1shop
reply to post by BO XIAN

Saving to your local file system is not as trivial as you may think it is. Browser security will not just give the ATS site the ability to access your file-system as that would leave you open to many potential vulnerabilities including virus and Trojan backdoor access type intrusions. Direct, unsupervised, access to files systems is not a best practice and defeats the safety/security of the browser.

If the new version is using HTML5, (I have not seen the new version yet) there is the possibility of using the new Web Storage feature of the newer browsers that support this. This can be thought of as a small storage area, somewhere between 2-10MB but certainly enough space to park a text file until it is ready for upload to ATS. This could be used in conjunction with browser capabilities detection to let users, who have support for this feature, take advantage of it.

great idea - a place to "park" unpark" IF NEEDED

excellent input - now if we could only get the TPTB to chime in.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
We used to have it, now we don't. It even had version control.

It was potentially convenient. And potentially harmful.

Harmful because we always lean heavily on the side of absolute caution insofar as how much information from members we store. The less we store (which is incredibly minimal) the less we are a target for fishing expeditions in the form of subpoenas or national security letters.

And in any event, we're not trying to be Google Docs. Storing anything in the cloud is a bad idea. Most modern browser retain state in the event of accidents... take advantage of that.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I say yes, my net is too slow.I am unable to post onething in a single load it takes me to reload many times to post onething so I will say yes.It will help me to save my post.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
We used to have it, now we don't. It even had version control.

It was potentially convenient. And potentially harmful.

Harmful because we always lean heavily on the side of absolute caution insofar as how much information from members we store. The less we store (which is incredibly minimal) the less we are a target for fishing expeditions in the form of subpoenas or national security letters.

And in any event, we're not trying to be Google Docs. Storing anything in the cloud is a bad idea. Most modern browser retain state in the event of accidents... take advantage of that.

Thanks SkepticOverlord for the input.

Can this done in the upload section of ATS? After all we're able to store pics n stuff in there. Why not include an option to "park" pending posts in there?

Besides we can remove/delete stuff in there.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
why not someone create a browser plugin?

for ats

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join