The origin and significance of blood. Where? When? Why?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I have been thinking for several days now about blood.

I have been trying to figure out... Where it came from?

I have been trying to figure out... What was the first life form to carry it?

I have been trying to figure out... Why does it exist in the first place?

I have been trying to figure out... Why is it so important?

I have been trying to figure out... Why is it usually red?

I have been trying to figure out... Why can it supposedly have other colors as well?

I have been trying to figure out... Why is it not exclusive only to humans?

I have been trying to figure out... Why are there so many blood types?

I have been trying to figure out... How much can it be altered and manipulated?

I have been trying to figure out... What is the connection with ET?

I have been trying to figure out... Why is it after all these years so little that we know?

Let's discuss together and try to find out.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Cybernet

None whatsoever .
As for the other questions ...I don't know I'm not a Hematologist

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Evolution

until we know the entire tree of life no one can be sure

To carry oxygen (energy) to parts of the body and distribute many other chemicals we need to function , grow and heal.

Same as above

Because its got iron in it.

Because the color indicates the chemical its based on.

because all life on earth shares a common ancestor

The diversity of blood groups, and their geographical distribution, reflect the different diseases that different groups of humans have struggled with in the past.

not to much or we wouldn't function right

Nobody knows if there is an ET so this question cant be answered

We have learned a very great deal in a short time due to accumulated knowledge has been easier to store and research. Also since the farming revolution we have finally been able to produce food on a scale that allows some people not to have to spend all day trying to find enough to eat. Before then our entire day was consumed with just trying to stay alive.

edit on 26-8-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

I would suggest you go here:
700+ Free Online Courses From Top Universities

From there, I would then suggest investing some time in the Biology and Organic Chemistry courses.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

When you see it spouting from your body you'll know, I promise.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

If you really want to set your head spinning, look into the differences in rhesus factor THEN try to trace it's origins.

Loads of fun and questions will arise out of this search which I consider the only true conspiracy on mankind.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

I would suggest you go here:
700+ Free Online Courses From Top Universities

From there, I would then suggest investing some time in the Biology and Organic Chemistry courses.

Also, there are 9,785 Varieties of beer ... The exact number is not known, because there are a lot of breweries.

But, If I was going to study this I'd take a "Life Science" class. They start off with the little one cell animals (some half animal/half plant) and work up the chain of life.

The answer is in there somewhere! And its not that hard.. hell have a beer while your reading about it

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cybernet

I have been trying to figure out... Why can it supposedly have other colors as well?

I have been trying to figure out... Why is it after all these years so little that we know?

Where do feet come from?

What was the first lifeform to have feet?

Why do feet exist in the first place?

Why are feet important?

Why are feet usually (insert random color)

Why do feet come in other colors too?

Why are feet not exclusive to humans?

Why are there so many different foot shapes?

How much can feet be manipulated?

What is the connection between feet and aliens?

Why do we know so little about feet?

Did all that just sound ridiculous, OP? Now you know how the readers of this thread feel.
edit on 26-8-2013 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Since I kind of feel like a jerk for my previous snarky comment I'll try to post a real response, although I have a feeling these aren't the answers you were looking for.

1. Blood didn't just "come from" anywhere. It naturally came about during the evolution of life on this planet.

2. There is no way to tell the first life form that had blood, since life has existed for millions and millions of years on this planet, unless we have an accurate account of every single life form to ever exist on this planet the question is impossible to answer.

3.Blood exists as a medium to carry things throughout the body. The highways and waterways of biological beings if you will.

4.It is important, because without it you DIE. And the health and condition of your blood effects the health and condition of your whole body. It's also able to carry toxins throughout the body.

5.It's usually red due to iron content.

6. Blood could be a different color if it had a different makeup. Things tend to be different depending on what they are made of. Lead is far softer than steel, because of it's makeup.

7. Why WOULD blood be exclusive to humans? That's like asking why eyes or feet (hence my previous post) are exclusive to humans. We evolved on this planet along with all the other species, it would only make sense there are quite a few similarities between us. Compare a human skeleton to most any animal and the parts are basically the same. A skull with two eyes, a nose hole, a mouth with a teeth, a spine with a ribcage, legs and hands, and feet and fingers and toes. Minor chances to size shape and use but it's all basically the same stuff reorganized. Not sure why blood would be any different. Do you ascribe special powers to humans that we should posses body parts no other species on this planet does?

8. Why are there so many blood types? Once again, species change and adapt over time. Humans have differences in their risk for illness, color of skin, hair, other genetic differences. Why would you assume our blood would be exactly the same?

9. Blood can probably be manipulated as much as any other biological material on the planet.

10. Well we first have to prove that ET exists, that ET are visiting Earth, and that they give a hoot about our blood before we speculate on what connection to et there might be.

11. Why do you think we know so little? Modern technology which allows us to study these things is pretty new. But we know quite a bit, I'm not sure what makes you think we don't know anything about blood. If doctors didn't understand blood there are few illnesses they would be able to treat.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

What do you mean where did it come from? Blood, is found in almost all living things. Of course what is referred to as blood is both complex in some organisms and simple in others. Plants have their own versions of blood, as do insects but for the sake of your thread, we will assume the blood you're questioning is that of mammals.

Blood, is a product of respiration, our bodies cellular processes rely on oxygen to provide energy, by breaking down carbohydrates and starch. Single celled organisms do not require "blood" because all of the exchange of oxygen is done straight through the cell membrane. How ever, we are a complex organism comprised of multiple cells, which can not get their oxygen from the environment around them with out it being supplied to them. So Blood, was a necessary step of evolution.

The first complex vertebrates, and invertebrates.

To transport Oxygen, nutrients, hormones, and enzymes through out the body. With out it, you would not breath, eat, think, do anything.... in other words, you would be dead.

See above..

It's only red, while it's oxygenated. Blood is blue, when it has released all it's oxygen.

Blood is red when it's rich in oxygen, and blue when it is not.

Because we are animals. We have gotten to where we are today, because our intelligence and a large portion of luck. If a lion had the mental capacity we do, perhaps they would be writing about the great antelope conspiracies, and stories of strange hairless apes abducting them.

Nature, variety in genetics ensures the survival and endurance of a species.

Seeing as blood is composed of Red Cells, White Cells, Antibodies, Enzymes, Platelets, protein, water, hormones I would say it could be manipulated just as much as any other heterogeneous mixture of cells in the body.

Absolutely none.

What do you mean? We know a lot about blood, there is an entire medical science dedicated to it. See Hematology

How about you do some research, and then we can discuss all you like about blood.
edit on 26-8-2013 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Okay I am going to group together your questions based on which ones I think can be answered within the same paragraph.

There unfortunately doesn’t seem to be a direct answer I could find at least using google (most of what I found pertained to the origins of blood type but not the origins of blood itself). I’d imagine that blood started to show up when the first invertebrates and vertebrates started to walk, crawl, wiggle (lol) or even swim) on this planet. As to which species this would be, I wish I could tell you (would love to know myself).

It is usually red, due to iron content. Because many animal species heavily rely on oxygen for respiration, iron is a main component found in hemoglobin which is an oxygen transporter found within the blood of most animals. Since many species need a good deal of oxygen to function optimally, they have more iron-based blood. Ever wonder why when iron rusts, it turns a reddish-orange color? This reaction is actually because of the iron oxidizing (reacting with the oxygen in the air). There are however some species with different colored blood, such as starfish (yellow). Note that many of the animals that do not have red blood either tend to live in the ground or in the water (and don’t tend to go to the surface for water like dolphins, whales, turtles, sharks, etc. do). This is due to having different pigments within their blood.

Well one of the main functions of blood is to carry nutrients, hormones, etc. throughout the body. Since liquid is most "flexible" of the 3 main forms of matter (somewhat flexible like gas yet has some density like that of solids), wouldn't it make sense for living organisms to have blood and/or be heavily water-based since it's the easiest way to move molecules, chemicals, etc. around a moving system? Of course, not all living organisms actually have blood although do have some form of plasma or liquid running throughout the body.

I have been trying to figure out... What is the connection with ETs?

There are literally tens of thousands of proteins within the blood alone; it’s just that the rhesus factor and the ABO blood proteins are of mainstream medical and biological interest, as these are the proteins most involved with violent “reactions” between blood donors and their recipients. While blood has been of great interest and the center of attention (and object of obsession) for some groups for many years now, we really haven't had the tools required to observe, measure, or in other words truly study the many molecules found within the blood (and the genetics involved). There's also evidence that suggests blood type may in fact have a role in immunity against various diseases (please see the link to my thread below for more information on this).

I did make a thread somewhat similar to what you are talking about here regarding blood and its connections to ETs, although I most specifically addressed the rumored RH negative-extraterrestrial connection. I did also touch on the different ABO blood groups as well. I think you may find my thread worthwhile as there's a lot of research and critical thinking involved
edit on 8/26/13 by rainprincess64 because: adding

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Back when life was simple single-celled organisms or very simple multi-celled organisms, nutrients were carried between each organism of each cell by the seawater that the organisms were swimming in. This could happen because being single-celled (or very simple multi-celled) meant that the cell membrane was ALWAYS exposed to the seawater, and nutrients could pass from the seawater to the cell.

HOWEVER, for organisms to develop into complex multi-celled creatures (with cells on the INSIDE of the organism, which would not be directly exposed to the nutrient-carrying seawater), these organisms first needed to have a way of getting nutrients to those "inner" cells....

...That's where blood comes in. Blood took the place of seawater, and became the means by which nutrients were carried to those inner cells.

edit on 8/26/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I think the OP interest in blood, like so many others is due to the fact that it carries our genetic make up/DNA which makes us literally who we are. The idea of the holy blood/holy grail or alien DNA theories come to mind.

Blood...I believe like many, could hold genuine secrets to our place in this universe.

However, I am an idiot.
edit on 27-8-2013 by Nephilimsreturn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nephilimsreturn
I think the OP interest in blood, like so many others is due to the fact that it carries our genetic make up/DNA which makes us literally who we are.

So does your snot, toenail clippings, faeces, dandruff etc etc.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

Yes but blood carries oxygen....life

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephilimsreturn

Life is possible with out oxygen. For example Plants, plants do not require oxygen to survive. They do how ever produce it as a by product of photosynthesis. All hale the holy potato, creator of oxygen, giver of life, tasty when deep fried.

Or Chemotrophs and extremeophiles they throw a complete get stuffed in the natural cycle of life as most people know it. Surviving in environments too hot, too cold, too poisonous, near vaccuums, EXTREME pressures, 0 oxygen or CO2 in some cases. Just really bizarre creatures...

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Oh I know other lifeforms can survive without oxygen, I was simply stating that blood (the topic) carries our life source, and thus, perhaps here interest in it, as many people in the past have been fascinated by blood, bloodline, genetic etc.. All I am simply suggesting is blood has often been regarded (not just in Christianity) as being a life force, spiritual, and sometimes even worshipped.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
Back when life was simple single-celled organisms or very simple multi-celled organisms, nutrients were carried between each organism of each cell by the seawater that the organisms were swimming in. This could happen because being single-celled (or very simple multi-celled) meant that the cell membrane was ALWAYS exposed to the seawater, and nutrients could pass from the seawater to the cell.

HOWEVER, for organisms to develop into complex multi-celled creatures (with cells on the INSIDE of the organism, which would not be directly exposed to the nutrient-carrying seawater), these organisms first needed to have a way of getting nutrients to those "inner" cells....

...That's where blood comes in. Blood took the place of seawater, and became the means by which nutrients were carried to those inner cells.

edit on 8/26/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

Was going to post simply "Seawater", but I was robbed! :-)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
so do you really spend days to think about blood?
i dont think that there is anything we dont know about blood.
why should this have any relation to ets? i dont get it.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by siemis

Uhhhh there's plenty of things mysterious about blood. What on Earth are you smoking to make you suggest something so ignorant? I like to say that the more we know, the less we truly understand.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join