It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple Married 65 Years Die 11 Hours Apart

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Couple Married 65 Years Die 11 Hours Apart

Relatives of an Ohio couple who died at a nursing home 11 hours apart on the same day say their love story's ending reflects their devotion over 65 years of marriage. The Dayton Daily News reports that Harold and Ruth Knapke died in their shared room on Aug. 11, days before their 66th anniversary.

The article goes on to say:

The couple met in third grade, and began courting when Ruth became Harold's pen pal while he served in Germany during World War II. “I let him chase me until I caught him!” Ruth would later say.

The cemetery procession stopped at the farm house where the couple had raised six children. The current owners surprised the family by flying a flag at half-staff.

I've hosted a couple of threads on this over the years but it never stops bringing a lump to my throat and tear to my eye.

Here's another: Couple Married 6 Decades Die Hours Apart

peace

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The tole losing a spouse takes is intense, I watched what happened to my own father.

He was never sick his whole life, survived crazy things like being burned over 70 percent of his body in his 30's. Even than he returned to the same field and retired from that strong and healthy. The instant My mother died in a span of 6 months he had a stroke, minor heart attack, and has had a host of ailments, chief of which is a crushing depression.

They where married 35 years, I have only been married a third of that time and couldn't imagine dealing with my own wives passing.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
My own grandparents on my mothers side died too close to be pure coincidence, though 3 months apart.

Grandmother had a stroke at the top of the stairs and was brain damaged for 4 years in a pretty bad state. My healthy grandfather saw her every day and moved closer to the hospital. When her light finally faded out, grandfather got sick almost right away and died of natural causes 3 months later.

They were two youngsters from the same very small village and best friends for their entire lives. My Family is sure our grandfather 'let go' to be with her again without her brain damaged related ailments.

Im a firm believer in a strong connection between two close friends or partners over decades. Though i remain agnostic, some things seem too spiritual to rule anything out.

EDIT: they were both in their mid 70s.
edit on 26-8-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Tear jerker thread. I think people can pick when they let go. after a certain point in your life and have achieved a certain state of mind. (physical state not withstanding)

My dad was diagnosed in mid February with terminal liver cancer. Broken arm set at the hospital and the CT scan showed it right away. Came home first week of march. He told my mom he didn't want to die on his birthday. April 7th. Sure enough.

I think my dad did it himself, or play with the idea anyway. He was able to release himself. Makes me wonder why this would be possible.

Sorry, went off my rails a bit.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I like hearing this sort of stuff, To me my Spouse is everything, and i can imagine the time spent together so long must bring ones soul together. I can gladly say i would not want to be here if I did not have my lover, thats just me

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Many couples, who have been together for most of their lives, don't see a reason to go on after one crosses over. They would rather join them. Can't fault them for feeling that way.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Add the story of Gordon and Norma Yeager to your list...

At 4:38 p.m., exactly one hour after Gordon died, Norma passed too.

“Neither one of them would’ve wanted to be without each other. I couldn’t figure out how it was going to work,” said Donna Sheets. “We were very blessed, honestly, that they went this way.”

“They just loved being together,” said Dennis Yeager. www.patheos.com...

YouTube Search: Couple married 72 years dies holding hands

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
As a big man that i am, my soft heart has brought tears to my eyes reading this.

I hope they rest in peace together. True love

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

This couple-72 years marriage, dies ONE HOUR apart...holding hands!

DES MOINES, Iowa —An Iowa couple who was married for 72 years died one hour apart last October in the hospital as they held hands.

Read more: www.kcci.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
It sounds like they lived a full life together, shared everything together and, in the end, chose to pass on together. They say people can choose to die when health is anywhere close to that by just not trying to do otherwise. At least, that's what I hear from medical people.

I think this is a very touching story of love. It makes me feel there is some hope out there.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this happens more often that we realize and that there is some kind of tangible connection. My own personal experience with this scenario came this last Christmas (2012).

My girlfriend's grandmother was quite ill. Despite the multitude of internal medical problems (cancers etc), she was still quite the spry ol' lady right up until the end.

As she deteriorated, the family had no choice but to place her under the 24/7 care of professionals. The entire family visited regularly (someone was ALWAYS there), including her husband (my gfs grandfather). It was obvious from their relationship that he relied on her heavily for day-to-day things. In the meantime, my gfs dad filled the role by taking care of her grandfather during this difficult time.

Then, after one fateful night visiting his dying wife, my gfs grandfather slipped on the floor at the hospice and was rushed to emergency (to a hospital on the opposite side of the city) because he had broken his hip, among other serious injuries.

Sadly, that would be the last I ever really saw either of them. They held on, barely conscious if at all, for quite a while. A week or two? It was a very difficult time for the family. Very difficult.

Then, on Christmas eve around 7pm, I got the phone call: Oma had passed away.

The family decided to inform Opa of his wife's passing, even though he was heavily sedated and probably unconscious. However, somewhere deep inside they knew he would hear and understand this news.

By 11pm the same night (Christmas eve), Opa too decided his time was up and passed on.

The entire family found comfort in the fact that they both left this plane of existance together. Being the stubborn gentleman he is, I believe he waited for his wife to go first.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Sometimes, when the 1 partner dies, the remaining spouse's will to live dies right along with them.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Couple married 72 years dies holding hands

The lovely story above is the one that got me started hosting threads on the subject and to make sure and bring as many of these reports to ATS as I coud find.

It’s also the story that made me a real believer in marriage over divorce and ‘working things out’ no matter what, etc.

It’s the story that started me wanting to believe in ‘forever’, foever.

peace

edit on 27-8-2013 by silo13 because: spacing

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I will be 95 when my wife and I are married for 72 years......that would be cool

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
These are nice stories to hear as usually Death stories are never nice.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I know this is animal based but it may reinforce this human bonding.

Many years ago, my cat had to go to my ex, who had a German Shepard dog at the time. The cat was a bit of a pain, being very independent and of her own mind. The dog was perhaps a bit of a softy.

Anyway the two sort of sorted out an amicable relationship, which lasted maybe 8/9 years, till the cat died. Whereupon, shortly after so did the dog, after what could only be described as a period of loss.

During the last few years together the dog suffered the usual arthritic problems, so his death was no surprise and similarly with the cat who was getting quite old.

But the timing was rather uncanny and certainly seemed to be associated.

If there is a heaven,and animals are allowed in, it would be nice to think the two of them are back together, looking after each other.

new topics

top topics

join