It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gender Brainwashing - Why do men in general have short hair and women have long hair?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krazysh0t
Probably just gender roles really. I'm actually more interested in why women across many different cultures tend to wear dresses or forms of dresses and men usually wear pants.

More so when you consider that biologically it makes more sense for men to have more ventilation in their groins to cool and help sperm production.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Actually, I've always been attracted to men with long hair. I actually cried when hubby shaved his head!

But have you also noticed (hubby's theory), that the older a woman gets, the shorter her hair is?
I never really noticed until he said something.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Christain influence on Western Culture is my guess...

1 Corinthians 11

"Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him, 15 but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering. "

New Testament church in Corinth had a debate in the first century about this very topic, God's apostle Paul addresses the reasoning.

God Bless,

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Lol good point.

reply to post by brandiwine14

The 1920's. www.hairarchives.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

I stand corrected, I had completely blanked out the bob.

That was an attractive look for quite a few women. I personally and suprisingly really like the first one.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The "short" answer:

Human beings are crazy, schizophrenic ape-creatures who always think we can improve on what nature already perfected. Now we have a population of gender-confused ADHD/Autistic people, WMDs, radiation everywhere and have effectively enslaved ourselves with an imaginary system of currency.

Ain't it great to be us?

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Another point is that most men don't shave their chest, legs, arms and underarms unlike most women who do. Whats up with that besides hygienic reasons?

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
it probably dates back to the caveman days,it`s easier to drag a cavewoman back to your cave ,by her hair,if she has long hair.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Because men are more practical and don't choose to deal with all that crap every morning?

Because men are more attracted to women with hair as they perceive them as more feminine?

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Short hair and males, at least in the western world, is historically linked to the warrior class, be they professional soldiers or otherwise.

Basically, long hair is easy to grab. If you can get a fist full of your opponents hair, you've literally got them and can do them in quite easily. Closely cropped or even shaven heads are almost impossible to get a firm grip on. Its my understanding that warriors who maintained long hair did so in a very arrogant and cocky way. It suggested to others that they were skillful enough to not have to worry about the length of their hair. Helmets are also considerably more comfortable with short hair.

The warrior soldier thing is, I know, at least one reason why boys tended to have short hair, at least originally, and may well do so today if its a remnant of tradition.

When it comes to little children, they are difficult to differentiate gender-wise. Many many cultures and languages around the world, even Germany IIRC, call small children "it" regardless of gender until an age at which it is distinguishable.

On a personal note, I have very shortly cropped hair, and find short hair attractive on only very few women. It takes a distinct head shape, neck, and face, to maintain its femininity, at least in my eyes.

Long hair takes a lot of work to maintain and keep healthy. Perhaps that's another reason why it tends to be associated with the feminine. A woman with long hair has enough wealth and therefore leisure time to maintain it. Similarly a woman with really short hair couldn't be bothered about her appearance, meaning she's either off the market (I can't tell you how many new moms have short hair because of how easy it is), or of poor social standing and doesn't have the free time to worry about appearance and is concerned with getting by.

Just musing here. Interesting thread.
edit on 26-8-2013 by Galvatron because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
i really wish the 'office wear' rules would just, die out.

Some days when i have to look extra smart, i end up sweating my conquers off where if i was able to wear shorts and a t shirt (or even *gasp* a skirt and i dont mean a kilt, i mean one of those wafty summer numbers), i may look less "businessy' but at least im not sweating and can concentrate at the JOB at hand!

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DeReK DaRkLy

I laughed out loud to this. It's true we're a lot alike to other animals. But we're also very different. Sometimes I wonder if we'll eventually change into small grey beings with bald heads.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Pants v. Skirts? May I suggest horseback riding?

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
"...we raise children with the idea that boys have short hair and girls have long...."

It isnt like that everywhere, nor has it historically been that worldwide. I think its more accurate to ask why now-a-days, men(boys) need to get "business-short" haricuts to get through a good job interview, when women do not. New color, rinse, perms, yes.

You are referring to todays standards as to what is considered acceptable in the PRESENT. I certainly dont see it as any type of "gender-bias-brainwashing" at all.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Personally speaking, I like short hair, as it is easier to maintain. Don't gotta do nothing with a crew-cut, makes life a bit easier. In my younger days I liked the long spikes look, well I still do, but what a pain in the ass to do everyday. Gel and spike it in the morning, then have to shampoo it out at night, sleeping on gelled hair is not comfortable at all.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I keep my hair short, typically allowing it to grow no longer than above the shoulders before I cut it (and I cut it myself, not that hard to do) I have a head of very thick, coarse hair, and it holds heat like a *bleep*. Keeping it shorter helps retain less heat & therefore keeps me comfortable. From that perspective, I don't see why any woman would want to swelter with long hair. I also find it much easier to care for the shorter it is. I've never liked long hair on myself, but if anyone else wants to sweat with it, whatever.
It is worth noting that my husband kept long hair to mid-shoulder blade for years, until he felt it no longer looked good on him. I had to agree, it did look out of place for his aging face. His short cut seems to knock a decade off his appearance, though. It's amazing how something as simple as a haircut can appear to turn back the clock so much.

Our children (girls) have 2 different hair types, the 5 year old has thin & spaghetti straight, the 4 year old has long, very thick & very curly. The 5 year old just had hers cut up above her shoulders by her demand yesterday to make it easier for her to manage. The other refuses to cut her curls, but that doesn't help with getting her to maintain her hair. Being 4, everything is in defiance, so those curls aren't combed by choice, and it's not easy to keep them from being knotted messes. I'd really prefer to cut it all off until she can take care of them herself without a fuss, but she does not want to cut it.

It may have been a cultural shift to hair lengths and cuts for the sexes, but it really is still just personal choice when you get to the bottom of it.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
When I was 18 I got a job as a waittress in a 24/7 restaurant connected to a hotel. The other waitstaff (all women) were older women, generally early 30s to late 50s. I had hair maybe 4 inches past my shoulders which is not really long for a woman, but they all started bugging me about it. Sitting together on break, my supervisor in particular -- whom I loathed for so many good reasons -- would go ON about how I wasn't a child anymore and WOMEN have short hair and long hair was for "girls" and it was time to grow up. You know, all these women had teased/ratted/styled hair, the sort you get done once a week at the salon and sleep on. I found it horrifying.

They were also going on about how I was too shy. I thought I had kinda knobby knees and my skirt was long. We basically had a french maid look going in reverse, and they gave me regular hassle about my hair and about how long my uniform's skirt was. I wasn't willing to do anything about my hair, but one day I just kind of snapped from the social pressure, went home and hemmed that damn skirt so short the whole restaurant got a free show when I reached up for pie.

My tips went up 40 bucks a night. And this was 1983 and from mostly families dining. Go figure! Well maybe they felt sorry for me.

P.S. I did have a short mullet-like haircut at one time. Combining this with a jeans and army-jacket fashion phase mostly led to women coming on to me like crazy, to my wide-eyed discomfort. Apparently short hair appears to be masculine to more than just men.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElohimJD
Christain influence on Western Culture is my guess...

1 Corinthians 11

"Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him, 15 but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering. "

New Testament church in Corinth had a debate in the first century about this very topic, God's apostle Paul addresses the reasoning.

God Bless,

Never understood this quote, where it nature does it show anything about long hair on men? And the bible also says

All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the LORD, he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow.
— Book of Numbers 6:5, KJV

With regards to long/short hair I think it's a cultural thing that we seem to be growing out of. There's such variation in hair styles these days it's becoming pretty outdated - even among children. Though this change is slow, some kids still get flack for it. God, I remember one girl in first school who had the most horrendous short curly hair... that # bordered on child abuse man.

Also, dreadlocks are usually worn long by men and women from all over, including Rastafari, Hindus and Buddhists

Dreadlocks are associated most closely with the Rastafari movement, but people from many ethnic groups have worn dreadlocks, including many ancient Hamitic people of North Africa and East Africa (notably the Oromo of Ethiopia, and the Maasai of northern Kenya); Semitic people of West Asia; Indo-European people of Europe and South Asia (notably the ancient Spartan warriors of Greece, and the Sadhus of India and Nepal); Turkic people of Anatolia and Central Asia; the Sufi Rafaees; and the Sufi malangs and fakirs of Pakistan.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure
Maybe it's just better that way.

'Just sayin'

Wow, I miss those hairbands! I love long hair on a male or female!!!!!

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Maybe so you could tell the 2 apart?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join