France buys Reapers

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
France has concluded a $1.5B deal to buy 16 General Atomics MQ-9 Reapers, along with 8 ground stations. Operators are currently in training, and GA has not denied that two Reapers would be delivered ahead of the rest to support African operations.

The deal was concluded through the Foreign Military Sales office, and Congress was notified in June.

France has concluded a deal with the Pentagon to purchase 16 General Atomics Aeronautical Systems MQ-9 Reaper unmanned aircraft and eight ground control stations, the US Department of Defense (DOD) confirms.

"The Letters of Offer and Acceptance have been signed for the Reapers as well as for the associated training case," says the Pentagon. "French operators are currently in training."

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Apparently they've lost faith in the Euro-Drone thingy. Who can blame them.

On a side note, I heard rumours that the French Reapers will come with the propeller attached to the front, allowing for MRS (Maximum Retreat Speed)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

Germany cancelled the Eurohawk recently over a flap with the coding, and airspace issues.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I'm wondering about the number of hardware backdoors installed in those enabling someone with the right access codes to override the new owners commands.

If I was the US I wouldn't sell a single piece without this kind of "insurance policy"

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

Concerns like that may be one of the reasons people are developing their own. It would surely undermine foreign sales?

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Absolutely agree - that paranoia and ITAR restrictions reduce foreign sales.

But dont think only smerican technology cuts it, its just cheaper, some of the software code in a certain British BAsEd company is much smarter than your Drones, they are designed to fly in high population air space over non combatants.

Any programmer can write a UAV script to fly GPS routes and only midly care about crashing on a civilian housing estate, the UAVs have area recognition capability to pick emergency landing strips autonomously, to recognise terrain, targets and threat autonomously, not just pilot controlled gps drones.

Not saying the US isnt developing that either.

France and UK have been working on a joint development program for a long time, 16 reapers is a great stop gap until they can agree a common production requirement of a 2 Gen UAV (Ie - not a drone).
edit on 28-8-2013 by IamSirDrinksalot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
This is one of the areas where the US has a massive lead over any other country.. Britsh Taranis proved an engineering disaster and now the French had to swallow their pride and concede defeat.
edit on 31-8-2013 by renegate326 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by renegate326

What do you know about Taranis being a disaster? I have seen nothing at all since the roll-out, where are you getting your info from?

AFAIK additional requirements delayed the programme and the first flight is due this month, over to you.
edit on 1-9-2013 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by renegate326
This is one of the areas where the US has a massive lead over any other country.. Britsh Taranis proved an engineering disaster and now the French had to swallow their pride and concede defeat.
edit on 31-8-2013 by renegate326 because: (no reason given)

[img][url=http://postimg.org/image/rn09jlcq9/s8.postimg.org...[/url][/img]

..........If Taranis is a disaster, pray do explain what it is that's been flying over us for the last two years that's of an identical planform, roughly the same size (seen with Typhoons) and errr...well, seems to be a Brit project inside Brit airspace.

The photo is unedited bar simple cut out in paint as its too big to host or email.

s8.postimg.org...

edit on 2-9-2013 by Astr0 because: I suck at posting images, follow the second link to the full cut out

top topics

join