It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Background check needed to pick up kids from school

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I got a call Saturday via a calling system from my children's school in baltimore county Maryland saying I would have to come to the mandatory meeting for my kindergardener early due to a new requirement that licenses now be scanned, which will take some time. So smelling a rat and unable to make the mandatory meeting I called the school this morning to question this. I was told by Jean the office worker there the program was called RAPTOR. All visitors to the school including parents picking up thier children are not required to give an government issued id which will be scanned. The scanned id info is then sent to the baltimore county police who will then immeditially notify the school if the license has been flagged. Ok so then I asked what flagged meant. According to her flagged means anything from you are a known sexual predator to having a warrant or have had an issue at another Baltimore county school. If there is a flag alert then the school is locked down and the baltimore county police arrive and arrest/detain the "offender".

So there are so many problems with this I don't even begin to know where to start.
1. Public education is a right not a privilege. The meeting is mandatory so if I refuse to allow them to scan my ID does my 5 year old not get to go to school?
2. What if the warrant is for a minor traffic violation or cause u owe child support, the school gets locked down, classes are disrupted and the person is arrested?
3. So I come in to pick up my kid and don't have an ID and now what I am not allowed to go home with my child?
4. If this policy was in place at any of the schools that have experienced violent incidents would it have prevented it? (I don't think any gun man has ever put thier gun bag down to submit to a quick background check, real quick before shooting up the place, but hey I could be wrong).

I found this article in which they state it will only be shared within the school system, but that is bogus!

www.bcps.org...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by kupoliveson

Please get together with some of the other parents and protest this crap. Our government is a runaway train now and its going to take a lot more than writing ats threads to stop it! You've already wasted enough time... start DOING something!

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Actually this sort of program has been going on to one degree or another since my kids were still in school- and they graduated 5 and 7 years ago. It was mainly used to prevent non-custodial parents or others from picking a kid up at school and hauling butt with them. The majority of child kidnappings are not committed by strangers but rather by non-custodial parents and other family members.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

My sister went in for the mandatory meeting. The RAPTOR system was down. I have another appointment for my other child at 2:40. I am not bringing my license, it will left in the car. I will then do what ever they ask except the background check. These people know me as my kids have gone to school there for 5 years now. My kids have a right to a public school education. I pay taxes and they have a right to be there. So they can't deny them an education if I deny to submit to a background check. We will see how it goes! I will try to post a video later, of the event.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by kupoliveson
reply to post by Bone75

My sister went in for the mandatory meeting. The RAPTOR system was down. I have another appointment for my other child at 2:40. I am not bringing my license, it will left in the car. I will then do what ever they ask except the background check. These people know me as my kids have gone to school there for 5 years now. My kids have a right to a public school education. I pay taxes and they have a right to be there. So they can't deny them an education if I deny to submit to a background check. We will see how it goes! I will try to post a video later, of the event.

Well good for you. I would even go as far as to call the newspaper or local news and let them know you're gonna be making a fuss.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Oh nice another reason I can hate the state I live in. Maryland is always doing crap to make it harder to live here. Hey at least it isn't a new tax they've imposed on us. Until you posted this I thought that was the only thing Martin O'Malley knew how to do.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I went to the school and told them I did not have my ID. They said it wasn't a problem and handed me visiter id badge. While others were waiting to scan theirs. I guess my plan is I will just lose my license for the remainder of the school year.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Just another reason why the public school system is pure non-sense.

Half the rules these schools attempt to make don't even work anyways. The schools themselves usually don't even implement them. Take my school for example, we have all these apparent "rules and regulations". School staff just announces them in order to scare people and usually don't ever implement the rule for more than a month. In my opinion schools just do this in order to make the place seem more serious and important than it actually is.
edit on 7-10-2013 by LegendaryPotato because: Grammatical errors

edit on 7-10-2013 by LegendaryPotato because: Grammatical errors

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   

It is very likely they already have done a background check on you after you missed the mandatory meeting, all they really require is your name and a quick call to the police department.

If there is a flag alert then the school is locked down and the baltimore county police arrive and arrest/detain the "offender"

This is really outrages though, it is illegal to arrest/detain someone if they haven't committed a crime. Having committed one in the past would still not be reason enough to detain someone for the reasons stated above.

new topics

top topics

join