It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia: The use of force without the approval of the UN is a very grave violation of int'l law

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
www.theguardian.com...

They cannot produce evidence, but keep on saying that the 'red line' has been crossed and they cannot wait any longer...

The use of force without the approval of the United Nations Security Council is a very grave violation of international law...

If anybody thinks that bombing and destroying the Syrian military infrastructure, and leaving the battlefield for the opponents of the regime to win, would end everything - that is an illusion.

Russia makes a great point many of us here agree with & that's the US/west rushing in to "save" the day in Syria without proper evidence to support their claims. Obama's 40 minute phone with UK's Cameron concluded Assad is guilty
. How about we let the UN inspectors actually inspect something? Who knows, maybe they'll find something?

Speaking of UN inspectors, apparently snipers are shooting at them. So are we to believe Assad is letting the inspectors in & then sniping them? Sounds like the work of terrorist to me.

edit on 26-8-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I am waiting for the Russians to add; "and if they are attacked, Russia will not stand bye and do nothing"
I think that would stop us in our tracks, this whole thing is ridiculous.
I know there are many different theories on who wants to get the US involved and why but the truth is, only select people really know the truth.
It cant be denied though.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

This could turn out even more interesting, if words are turned into action, and Russia mobilized its Black Sea fleet, and pushed a mighty armada through Bosporus with heading to Syria. Just to make a tad more clear statement.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Originally posted by Swills
How about we let the UN inspectors actually inspect something? Who knows, maybe they'll find something?

Way too risky.
What if the inspectors found evidence Al Quaida was responsible for the attacks?

The inspectors don't even have a mandate to investigate how the weapons were deployed or by whom...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Over the past decade Russia has been nothing but a big wind pipe. Now with their military as powerful if not more powerful than it was when they were the Soviet Union, if I was the U.K. or the U.S. I would have all the facts and proof before I took actin against an ally of Russia.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Here is the full text of the Russian Minister's recent address.

blogs.aljazeera.com...

Moscow has paid serious attention to the remarks of US defense minister Chuck Hagel about measures requested by president Barack Obama to secure readiness of the US army to launch a military action against Syria at any moment. We are alarmed by demands from Paris, London and other capitals to respond decisively to alleged chemical attacks by the Syrian armed forces in eastern Ghouta on August, 21 while ignoring many facts showing the attacks were a provocation from the irreconcilable opposition.
All this makes us recall the events from ten years ago, when using false information about Iraq’s possession of WMD as a pretext, the US embarked on shady enterprises the consequences of which are well-known to everyone.

FLASHBACK: www.freespeech.org...

We are again calling for everyone not to repeat mistakes of the past, not to allow actions violating international laws. Any unilateral actions in ignorance of the UN will undermine the international community’s efforts to find a diplomatic solution of the Syrian crisis.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Not only is this statement by Russia true, but it is saying a very clear message without coming out and saying it!!

Russia is saying anyone who attacks Syria without UN approval will be counter attacked by others....Not mentioning any names or anything!!

I hope the USA takes the appropriate measures before lighting up the Syrians!!

This could end very badly for not only Syria and/or the USA, but multiple others if it goes badly.....That could trigger all out war with everyone!!

I hope and pray this not to be the case.....USA needs to just stay away from this mess, UNLESS we are creating this ourselves to get in there...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
UN inspector vehicle took sniper fire in route to one of the possible chemical attack sites. The vehicle had to be replaced as it was no longer useable. The UN has said they are not going to stop the mission.

I bet it was Iranian troops taking orders from the Russians.
This whole mess is going to go sideways and fast.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

And how do you come to that conclusion?

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Russia is correct,of course.Although i do not remember UN approval of usage of force in that war with Georgia....

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I keep trying to understand the thought process of the decision makers in the Obama administration, including Obama himself, pertaining to whether or not to take action.

As per the facts made public, you would think you had woke up in crazy town. How can you even think to flaunt international law and disregard the UN security council based on the extremely limited, unsubstantiated and downright fishy information that is available!!!

Its absolutely absurd!

You should want hard facts before implementing any action plan. But to suggest you would circumvent one of the highest official bodies on this planet, based on anecdotal and probably biased information is a flagrant display of disregard to the entire global population and the rules we have all agreed to abide by.

I will concede there could be information we are unaware of, but in a situation that is already endured years of violence and tens of thousands dead, how can you even risk acting without determining and presenting the facts.

I am all for action against the party responsible for the use of these weapons if they were indeed used. It just seems like common sense, if you're unsure if you want to wear a rain coat, why not verify that it is actually raining. Logic.

edit on 26-8-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Speculation mostly...but look at the parties on each side. Russia is all anti US involvement.

Now Germany says it might back US led intervention.
edit on 8/26/2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
So is arms selling RUSSIA!

You know since you and your other 'allies' are enabling Assad killing his own citizens.

Isn't international arms dealing a 'violation' of international law ?

That comment is rich coming the the Russia mafia state.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
As a US Citizen, I DEMAND that we stay out of it. None of our business. I used to support the "War on terror", but now I see it for what it is... a banskter carnival, I've no interest!

As for Obama flouting International Law... Why wouldn't he? He has flouted every US law he has encountered with no consequence. Being the pathetic narcissist that he is, he believes he can do the same on the world stage.

I am both sad and embarrassed over what this country has become.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Well technically Russia is correct this will not have UN approval because they veto anything to do with Syria. That is why the 114 nations that got tired of international will being ignored because or Russian vetos formed their own group on Syria. So while any military operation may not have UN approval it does have most of nations on the planet supporting it. Not that Russia has ever asked th UN to conduct military operations ever.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The problem is, the UN make the League of Nations look like the greatest thing since sliced bread and have proved themselves as effective at preventing war as a small slice of that bread is in preventing a forest fire. Indeed, their ineptitude, incompetence and corruption may arguable make them the biggest mass murderers (by complicity) of all time,

I think it's time for Britain, and other countries who care about humans in other countries, to leave the UN and make a stand.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Hey all,

Just saw on twitter Kerry will be making a statement on Syria:

LINK

2pm ET. I really hope this isn't a declaration we are fearing.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
As a US Citizen, I DEMAND that we stay out of it. None of our business.

No it's not.

And if you are walking down the street and see an old lady being mugged, it's none of you business either.

Personally, I think it's the business of everyone on the planet and we should be ashamed that we have sat back an watched mass murder of innocents simply because there was no financial benefit in us intervening.

And it's not just Syria.

The fact that we cocked it up in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya is not a reason not to keep trying. Though I accept that there is little confidence in those idiots we have elected to be in charge (whose fault is that though - if you vote, you are to blame. IMO)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
reply to post by Swills

Hey all,

Just saw on twitter Kerry will be making a statement on Syria:

LINK

2pm ET. I really hope this isn't a declaration we are fearing.

That is simply amazing ?

Must been tough tearing himself away from his kite boarding, and his yacht.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I was thinking almost the exact same thing!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join