It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If women thought and acted like men, would men like it and respect women?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Try to imagine the thoughts going through this woman’s mind, which to me is a good representation of what men are thinking as they go through their normal day to day interactions with women.

25.media.tumblr.com...

I could not find any clips of women speaking as these men do, but if you can imagine a woman saying the same type of things about men, what would you think of those women?

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Imagine if the following were women speaking of men instead of men speaking of women.

The second century St. Clement of Alexandria wrote: "Every woman should be filled with shame by the thought that she is a woman."

The Church father Tertullian explained why women deserve their status as despised and inferior human beings:

"And do you not know that you are an Eve? The sentence of God on this sex of yours lives in this age: the guilt must of necessity live too. You are the devil's gateway: you are the unsealer of that tree: you are the first deserter of the divine law: you are she who persuaded him whom the devil was not valiant enough to attack. You destroyed so easily God's image, man. On account of your desert that is, death even the Son of God had to die."

The sixth century Christian philosopher, Boethius, wrote in The Consolation of Philosophy, "Woman is a temple built upon a sewer."

In the tenth century Odo of Cluny declared, "To embrace a woman is to embrace a sack of manure..."

St. Thomas Aquinas suggested that God had made a mistake in creating woman: "nothing [deficient] or defective should have been produced in the first establishment of things; so woman ought not to have been produced then."

And my favorite.
“If a woman grows weary and, at last, dies from childbearing, it matters not. Let her die from bearing - she is there to do it.”
- Martin Luther

My fellow men.
What would you tell any woman who talked and acted the way the men shown above talked and acted?

If you would not respect such women, what makes you think that men deserve women’s respect for the way we think?

Let me broaden your thinking before your reply.

www.ted.com...

Do men deserve the respect of women?

Regards
DL

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am

You are theTemple of God

Sorry bout that
edit on 093131p://111 by backcase because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Picasso Said it best.
"There are only two types of women, Goddesses and Doormats."

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Respect is earnt not deserved, there are bad males and there are bad females.

Those with bad attitudes don't deserve respect just because they are a woman and vice versa.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

First and foremost I state that I am a woman- so definitely not a male opinion.

The first animated gif was funny. I think if more women acted like that (some already do) men would get a kick out of it for a while but eventually the amusement would wear off and they would begin to see what women have been going through for a looong time- and it would get really old, really fast.

The two Youtube videos: Those two preachers were espousing their personal interpretations of the Bible, I get it. Not exactly the way i interpret it but that is the women in their lives' problem- not mine. I personally wouldn't put up with being treated as anything less than an equal but if their families put up with it that's their own faults.

Now knowing that I wouldn't want to be treated as less than equal in either fashion demonstrated in your examples I would say it''s only fair to guess that men wouldn't appreciate being treated in a similar fashion on any kind of widespread basis. The only way to avert rebellion to the "role switch" would be to immasculate a large portion of the male population, say with a media blitz orchestrated over several years in addition to chemically altering the male population by genetically altering and adding hormones to their food supplies......oh wait- they're already doing that!

I honestly didn't watch the TED video- they always make me sleepy. Maybe a conspiracy.....
Men are worthy of women's respect. Most men are. Then there are a few complete jackwipes running around out there still acting like jerks instead of evolving into modern thought that do their best to try to make all men look bad. Women are smarter than that and certainly more forgiving than that.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greatest I am

More men would go gay....

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Hmmm, I think that when they do, they tend to earn a name from both men and other women.

The name is 'bitch'.

I am not saying that I think it is right, just that is the way I see it happen.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Only if men enjoy being lied to. Men would either respect the caricature of man, or respect the actor doing the parody. But in the end, men would be respecting only their delusions.
edit on 26-8-2013 by TheSubversiveOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I think I may count as a "woman who thinks and acts like men". I'm studying engineering, work at a football club, I'm treasurer of the karting society, I love motorsport, airsoft, going shooting, martial arts etc

I think I'm respected more by guys than my friends who are the typical girly girls but you always get guys (usually older ones) who can't get over that no matter how tomboyish I may be, I am female so I should be at home cleaning and cooking, not working my way up the career ladder in a male-dominated world. However, I have no issue in telling them to shove their criticism up their arse

Also, I'm reeeeaaallly not trying to sound big-headed here but I get quite a lot more male attention than my girly friends, becuase I'm interested in what guys are interested in. I won't drag then to the cinema to see rom-coms, I'd quite happily go to a football match with them, I won't drag them shoe shopping or whatever

So yes, I think that to an extent, guys do like it & give lasses more respect for it

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
That first link was funny. If women acted like this " All Men" would look just like he did in that gif. WTF

There's some truth to the second video. The world has turned upside down.
edit on 26-8-2013 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

I noticed that you used quite outdated quotes from Christian whom most Christians do not think that way today. Why don't you do some quotes from other religions that do think that way today?

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
The USMC just opened the doors of it's combat infantry schools to females. For that job, I don't want Miss Manners, I want Vasquez.

Gender doesn't play quite the role it once did.

The only time I've ever seen male or female act that way was at a bar, a party, or a strip club, and they were both doing it. So... go figure. When in Rome, right? Down at the shake joint the gals do that to guys all the time and get money thrown at them for doing it.

As stated above, by Mister_Bit, respect is earned on merit. It is earned on a case by case basis. Just because someone might deserve respect doesn't mean they are going to get it. The only guarantee in life is it's end.

Being a p.o.s. is not gender exclusive.

The statement in the OP and supposition in the thread title suggest that all men think and act alike, and that all women perceive said behavior in the same manner. That is like saying all females are submissive and all males are dominant. Which is simply untrue.

Not only that, but gender identity knows no bounds, and isn't necessarily governed by genitalia. Just because someone is female doesn't mean they identify themselves as feminine. Not all males see themselves as a dude. Whatever people perceive as "right" or "wrong" doesn't matter, because that's just how it is.

An attempt has been made to simplify a very complex social arrangement. It's just not that simple. Nothing can change that, not even Hollywood.

In relationships sometimes the female assumes the breadwinner/provider/protector role while the male assumes the nurturing/nesting/caretaker role. We see this in other aspects of nature. This alone shatters the stereotypes. Not all families are a patriarchy.

It is up to the individual to determine their own tastes, their own preferences. Some guys like chicks that can belch out the alphabet or shotgun a tallboy. There is something to be said of the girls your mother warned you about... they are just like the guys your mother warned you about.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I really enjoyed the TED video, highlighted how poor alot of movies are!

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
People act like people. Acting like a man doesn't mean anything. Three hundred years ago acting like a man meant standing in a line of people politely trading musket volleys, visiting the brothel on a regular basis, and raping your underage wife to get her pregnant.

Everyone is different.

Throwing sex into it changes a few things, mainly cutural factors.

Until we get past this whole "this person isn't like me because she has a vagina" thing, we're not going to get far as a species.

- A "Man"

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
What with the broad generalization ??? , you can't blame the entire males society for the crime of the few
edit on 27-8-2013 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

if women registered for the selective service id have more respect for them....

ive worked in several fields...once with all men and once with all women...women sexually harassed me in a joking manner far more than i had ever seen men do it....still in this society we don't think a thing of it until a man does it.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mister_Bit
Respect is earnt not deserved, there are bad males and there are bad females.

Those with bad attitudes don't deserve respect just because they are a woman and vice versa.

Cha-Ching and Op with your male-bashing thread leave it alone why do you think we disrespect you?

The world works ONLY in womens favor men get the ass end of the stick always

I read a news story this morning that a husband of an abusive female got sentenced because SHE KILLED her own daughter::

Couple jailed over Qld child's death

By Cleo Fraser, AAP

Updated August 27, 2013, 7:41 pm

A Queensland mom who bashed her eight-year-old daughter to death with a vacuum cleaner pipe had accused the girl of exaggerating her symptoms in the days before she died.

The 28-year-old woman, a New Zealand citizen, was sentenced in the Supreme Court in Cairns on Tuesday after earlier pleading guilty to manslaughter. (excuse me but THAT IS MURDER ONE!)

The woman's 24-year-old Australian husband, who has also pleaded guilty to manslaughter, was sentenced to three years behind bars for turning a blind eye to the abuse. (he supposedly turned a blind eye HE WAS SCARED of what the woman would do to him like KILL HIM or tell the police HE WAS THE ONE WHO DID IT!)

It was revealed in court that the woman repeatedly beat her daughter over a two-week period in November 2011.

The girl was found DEAD in a unit in Cairns on November 28, 2011.

Her body was almost entirely covered in bruises, and doctors concluded she died from blood loss caused by blunt force trauma.

When questioned by ambulance staff about the bruises, the woman said: "I won't lie to you, they are from me".

The court heard the woman beat the girl with the end of the vacuum pipe after she refused to wash the dishes.

On another occasion, she bashed the child after the girl asked if she could return to New Zealand to live with her father.

Following yet another beating, the woman made the girl sit in her room with the lights off so her husband couldn't see the bruises she'd inflicted. (SEE THIS!)

"If he found out or seen what I done I'd be out of the house," the mother told police. (SHE KNEW)

In the days leading up to her death, the girl complained of dizziness and needed help getting to the toilet.

The woman said she didn't believe the girl and thought she was "exaggerating her symptoms".

Sentencing Judge James Henry said the girl was subjected to a "prolonged death".

"All the more horrific that it was suffered by someone so young," he said.

"This child was beaten to death."

The woman's lawyer, Joshua Trevino, told the court that his client had a number of mental health issues and had suffered serious sexual and physical assaults throughout her life. (what a Load of #! typical lies that lawyers say it is ALWAYS SAY THIS and there are examples ALL OVER THE NET OF THIS!)

Mr Trevino said his client had sought help from social services and family members after realising she had "angry feelings" toward her daughter. (Angry feelings it was done over angry feelings)

Justice Henry acknowledged the woman's early guilty plea and her extensive mental health issues during sentencing. (again more bull#)

However, he said there was no reason for him to believe social services had failed the woman.

Prosecutor Roger Griffith said the stepfather stopped the mother from abusing the girl on a number of occasions. However, the man admitted he could have done more. (he couldn't have done more)

"I could have done something," he said during an interview with police. (In australian law it is "voilence against women Australia says no" so how could he have done anything)

"The floggings have been going on for weeks. I've been trying to stop her. They mainly happen when I'm at work." (she did it behind his BACK)

Those in the packed public gallery sobbed throughout the court proceedings.

The woman must serve at least half of her sentence, while her partner will be eligible for parole in May next year. (why did he have to go to prison when she did it? Misandry much double standards much?)

The pair can't be named for legal reasons

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I wasn't sure what to think of this. The purpose of this thread.

One question concerning the gif: are you aware that both females and males are about as equal when it comes to sexuality?

Both females and males look for short-term relationships (sex), some people are long-term relationship orientated however. A difference:

When a girl would ask male strangers if they wanted to have sex, most said yes. When a boy would ask female strangers if they wanted to have sex, most said no.

However:

When the boy would not be a stranger to the females when he asked a much higher percentage (can't remember it exactly) would say yes.

I wonder if that's nurture (culture) or nature.

Now something I don't like about some of those who seek equality, and I like to see myself as such a person. I was on a forum, it had a feminist. She showed a article that find that psychological females and males are equal. The study was okay but to me narrow because it didn't go in depth.

I told her about the empathizing–systemizing theory and to me it seemed (my interpretation) as if she was opposing it solely on the reason it showed psychological differences. She seems to narrow her views so she can believe in feminism (assumption on my part).

I believe that psychological differences shouldn't mean we should treat each other differently socially.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

The Ted video was thought-provoking to me, quite shocking actually when you think about it. There is a lack of female protagonists in art. Some female heroes turn into a sexualised and violent character, in the movies and series I've seen, they are rarely deep and complex characters that some male characters are.

But what it comes down to is that male movies are bad. It's true it's mostly about beating the antagonists and getting the girl. But I wonder then what would be a good male movie. Male becoming the antagonist but a girl saves him from doing so? Or male beating antagonist but not getting the girl for a change?

One movie that interests me is Don Jon. It's funny to see the comments on Youtube, because they totally misunderstand the message the movie wants to make, but I guess that's the trick of the director. The movie wants you to question your beliefs about relationships.

You generalize men. There are also women who call themselves feminists, they aren't because feminism is about equality, who are basically man-haters just like the man you showed are women-haters. They may be fewer as women-haters though.

You say act like men. Maybe it's better to say act like the stereotypical men. I have been raised with only females because my dad past away. I have really different views and behavior partly because of that, partly because I was socially isolated in my teens and found male role models in mostly fiction, most of them antagonists.

I have some friends that only have brothers, they do act stereotypical. One friend was okay with hitting on very young girls, younger as both of my sisters, he did that by using a lot of sexual words. I was repulsed by his behavior, not necessary because of their age but the nativity and vulnerability that comes with it.

I laughed inside when he stepped on a sharp stone and sliced his foot open. If that didn't happen I would have sabotaged him, but my mere presence is sabotaging enough. I think if I said something about it he would play the masculinity card. How many times the masculinity card has been pulled on me for not liking beer (I prefer strong liquor), wearing sport jackets and more.

About respect. I respect those that respect me. Those that I do not find respecting me I will ignore in a certain way, ignoring in a certain way to me is equal to disrespect. I was in a courtroom for my study and there was a criminal who refused to look at the judge, and he also talked to the judge indirect by using a translator, I think that's the biggest disrespect you can show.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Well in that animated gif.. i have yet to find a guy act like that.. i am sure they exist... and if they do they are promptly slapped with sexual harassment.

So I can see a guy say "O rly?? if he did not find her attractive and call the cops" if she was attractive he would be like "hello penthouse forums.. i never thought ti would happen to me..but it did"

If a man did that to a woman.. whether she found the man attractive he would be in jail for sexual assault.. and she would have to have counseling for the rest of her life....

...but don't women already act like guys?? they talk like them, act like them and view sex like them. which was fine with me when i was single. they made for easy targets for flings and a good time. When i decided to get married i went for the opposite of that.

I thank feminsim for making women give it away like candy.... although after a while i concede i had to get selective.
edit on 27-8-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan

I thank feminsim for making women give it away like candy....

Are you Nuts feminism is making them lock it away and never give out that's how it is in Australia it's #ed By your sex starved Aussie bud you have to feel sorry for us Aussie guys you watch in ten years you'll feel sorry you said that when there is None left Nothing like that for you We Aussie guys get the worst end of the stick

Australia is a paradox. On the one hand it has plenty of everything - lots of space, pleasant weather, plenty of precious metals still to be dug up, and no ancient enemies. So the people here should be happy, right? No, not right. Australian men are more likely than just about any group of people on earth to want to KILL themselves. It's not because of the kangaroos, it because of the WOMEN. AUSTRALIAN WOMEN.

What are Australian women doing that drives the men here to such depths of despair? There may be a hundred reasons, but I'll provide you with maybe the top ten.

Each entry suggests a typical attitude of Australian women, and the subsequent text contrasts this attitude with some better behavior.

Note that older Australian women (50+) have told me that the following comments do not pertain to them - just to their daughters - whom they hardly understand.

Aussie women: "I have certain expectations"

Better: "I am happy to lower my expectations as required"

An excellent runner might be disappointed to only come second in a running race. An average runner might be delighted to come third.

An important part of being a good wife is constantly managing your expectations so that they are below what your husband is likely to deliver. Then you can be happy that your husband is always "Above expectations."

Aussie women: "Family and friends are everything to me"
Better: "My husband is number one"

It seems to me that, other than to herself, an Australian woman's loyalty is ordered as follows:
1.) Her children (if she has any)
2.) Her parents
3.) Her friends
4.) Her husband

A good wife would keep her husband to the top of the list, knowing that loyal support of a good man will confirm his loyalty to her (as well as being a reward in itself).

(Of course people down the order shouldn't always have their wishes overridden by those higher up.)

Aussie women: "The relationship between a husband and wife should be equal"
Better: "The relationship between a husband and wife should be balanced"

Equality means "the same", and no two people are the same. No-one would think it was right to treat a dog and a donkey equally.

Balance means ensuring that individuals are given privileges in accordance with their responsibilities, abilities and past contributions.

Aussie women: "It's not polite to make fun"
Better: "Gentle ridicule clears the air"

Once there was an Australian man who brought a Russian woman to Australia to see whether she'd like to be his wife. She had high expectations of Western opulence and was shocked to find that the house in which he lived had bugs crawling around the cupboards. She was also amazed to discover that when she opened a bottle of after-shave from his bathroom that the smell was worse than Russian after-shave.

Afterwards she told him, "You know your after-shave is terrible! It doesn't attract women, only bugs!"

The Russian expressed her disappointment in a way that made her feel better, and made him smile too. Her statement enhanced their relationship.

An Australian woman in the same situation probably wouldn't have said anything (maybe just looked disdainful), and the disappointment would have stayed with her only to fester in her mind.

Aussie women: "There are some things no woman should put up with"
Better: "Take the bad with the good"

No woman likes to be smacked, yelled at, cheated on, or neglected. How many women want to be married to a man who doesn't make much money or drinks too much?

But a marriage of any length is going to involve both parties getting some of what they don't want, so what to do?

Australian women seem to have found two answers:

1.) Marry a man you find yourself attracted to and hope for the best. If at any stage you get something you don't like: Scream the world down, Divorce the man and sue him for child support.

2.) Marry a perfect man and remind him every now and then that he will lose his wife, his house and his kids if he ever makes a mistake.

I saw a movie where a boy was growing up in Ireland in the early 1900's had a father who was always drunk and out of work. But the boy found great value in his father's unique and charming insights into how the world worked. The boy felt he owed some of his later creative output to his father.

Any person who believes that their spouse is worthless as a parent is kidding themselves.

A good wife will:

1.) Remember the good times in her marriage before complaining about the bad times

2.) Remember her husband's strengths not just stare at his weaknesses.

3.) Celebrate his masculinity, not criticize his lack of feminine virtues.

4.) Ask herself, "Is this weakness so important? Can I shrug it off?"

5.) Ask herself whether there is anything nice she can do for her husband that could alter his behavior.

6.) Be more concerned with improving herself than with improving him.

A good wife would only threaten to walk out as a last resort - knowing that a man with a lot to give will stop contributing to something that is likely to disintegrate.

Aussie women: "I like to watch"
Better: "I like to think"

When Australian woman are asked about their interests they often respond with, "I like to go out to the movies or I like to stay home in front of the TV." Never do they say, "I like to think."

There are several reasons why "thinkers" make better wives than "watchers":

1.) TV shows and popular movies are very similar to one another, the jokes and situations don't change much, only the actors and settings do. Watchers usually end up being as boring as the shows they watch.

2.) TV tries to keep you engaged and to buy merchandise, it doesn't try to show you how to live a good life. That means that the values TV imparts are useless, or worse.

3.) If you don't spend time thinking, how will understand what life must be like for other people?

4.) If you don't spend time thinking, how will you generate the fresh insights that will make you interesting to listen to?

Aussie women: "Compromise"
Better: "Design"

What if you want to go shopping with your husband and he wants to take you to see a game of football?

A compromise would be to do half the shopping and then see half the game of football.

A designed solution would be one that considered the various factors and came up with a solution that provided the best outcome for both parties. Factors might include:

1.) What did they like and not like about shopping and sport?

2.) How much time did they have? What alternative times were possible?

3.) What other activities could substitute?
4.) Who else might be interested in going shopping or to the football?

Key to getting a designed solution is a willingness to allow some time for discussion before a decision is made.

Aussie women: "Husbands shouldn't tell wives what to do"
Better: "Sometimes we all need guidance"

A group of Australian women were discussing a certain TV show, which happens to be not worth watching. I said to them, "Now ladies, do your husbands really let you watch that show?"

They turned to me in amazement, and one of them said, "Why would we consult our husbands on what we watch -- do you think that we're children who need to be supervised?"

I did not answer that woman, as clearly we were from two different planets.

The proper way to think about it was explained by the famous golfer, Greg Norman, when he was asked why he appreciated his wife. He said, "My wife is the only person on Earth who is on my side, and yet who isn't me. I can ask myself for advice, but I usually get the answers I expect. When my wife gives me advice, it is something new and challenging, but still aimed at my best interest. Everyone else gives me advice that serves their own interests."

People should use those close to them as helpers in guiding them through life, which includes listening to your loved ones when they tell you what's good for you to watch.

I saw an Australian man plead with his wife to arrange things so that he and she and their little girl could all have dinner together as a family in the evenings, rather than separately in front of the TV. Of course she ignored his request.
Australian women listen carefully to TV's advice on how they should deal with their husbands, and yet ignore their husband's advice on what should be done with the TV.

Aussie women: "I KNOW what I like"
Better: "I want to learn to appreciate something new"

A small child looks at a piece of broccoli on his plate at the dinner table and shouts, "I don't like this!" His mother wishes just once he would say, "Last time I had this - I didn't like it. But today I will try harder!"

Probably the reason there are so few children who act in the second way is that they learn how to behave from their parents.

If you say to an Australian woman, "I can help you learn to appreciate things you never knew existed!", she will become resentful and tell you that you are being "patronizing".

A good wife, by contrast, is always looking for new things to admire.

Aussie women: "I don't want to be a good little wife"
Better: "I want to be a good wife"

The main reason Australian women make bad wives is because they're not even trying to be good wives. Instead many see marriage as a prison that stops them from having a successful career and an exciting love life.

What they fail to appreciate is that everyone has to work within limitations. As a man I have limitations, but you don't see me losing sleep over the fact that I will never be able to bear a child, or enliven a room full of men just by wiggling my ass.

A much better attitude was shown by Marie Curie, who had as a young woman decided to marry someone smart.

Her husband then helped her learn what she needed to in order to become one of the world's leading scientists.
edit on 27/8/13 by fr33kSh0w2012 because: I was fixing the post to be more easily understood

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join