It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Breaking: HUGE Explosion in Center of Damascus

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
OK AT LAST!

Syrian report: 2 mortar shells fired at hotel with UN inspectors

Published: 08.26.13, 10:09 / Israel News

According to Sky News, two mortar shells landed in Damascus, in the vicinity of a hotel where UN inspectors are staying.

On Monday, the inspectors are expected to begin examining allegations regarding the use of chemical weapons in the Syrian capital. (Roi Kais)

www.ynetnews.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Originally posted by intrptr

he wrote it / started this thread to garner attention by implying a US missile strike?

Me first, me first!

why are you making accusations, and trying to put words in the OPs mouth?

_____

- yeah,
you first...

I see you didn't waste anytime before jumping in to provide us with your insightful commentary.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Britain says response to Syria chemical attack possible without unanimous UN backing
rt.com...

“I would argue yes it is, otherwise it might be impossible to respond to such outrages, such crimes, and I don't think that's an acceptable situation," Hague said on BBC radio, when asked whether it would be possible to respond to the use of chemical weapons without the backing of the UN Security Council.

Meanwhile, Britain’s Royal Navy is reportedly moving ships into place for a possib

Well there goes what's left of a once nice democratic Idea; The implications of bypassing the UN Security council is huge.

Its like Saying Gentleman, at this point our partnership has ended and we will act on what we deem necessary.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jroduk
OK AT LAST!

According to Sky News, two mortar shells landed in Damascus, in the vicinity of a hotel where UN inspectors are staying.

On Monday, the inspectors are expected to begin examining allegations regarding the use of chemical weapons in the Syrian capital. (Roi Kais)

www.ynetnews.com...

You did not read the report very carefully. It stated that 2 mortar shells landed in the VICINITY of a hotel where UN inspectors were staying. NOT fired at the hotel. Big difference.

At any rate, this video might be of interest...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   

How is a mortar round a "Massive explosion"?

It's bloody massive if it lands within 10 feet of you I can tell you!
edit on 26/8/2013 by nake13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
OK, so who didn't see this coming? The last thing Assad wants is a team of inspectors poking around in his business. Whether it was his snipers or the rebel snipers shooting at the UN vehicles, the act is doing them both a favor.

I'm not surprise by this action at all and now there are explosions. One, it's a war so there are going to be explosions whether UN personnel are there or not. Second, I can see an increase in violent activity while the UN inspectors are there from both sides.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by hurdygurdy

OK AT LAST!

www.ynetnews.com...

You did not read the report very carefully. It stated that 2 mortar shells landed in the VICINITY of a hotel where UN inspectors were staying. NOT fired at the hotel. Big difference.

My origional post said nothing about anything being fired AT THE hotel!

The article headline stated that it was being fired at the hotel. I only copy and pasted the reported headline as the TOS of this site outlines. I did not indicate that anything was being fired at the hotel. My origional post title was a huge explosion in Damascus and possibly 'near' the hotel.
edit on 26-8-2013 by jroduk because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-8-2013 by jroduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

In matters of this caliber I would have expected that the UN would be heavily involved as in my opinion that is what it was setup for in the first place after WW2. I would have expected the UN to atleast form a coalition and use Chapter 7 as stated bellow:-

Article 51 – Right of individual or collective self-defence

Article 51 of the Charter provides an exception to the prohibition of the use of force as stipulated in Article 2 (4) of the Charter. The right of individual or collective self-defence can be exercised in the event of an “armed attack” against a Member of the United Nations. States have to immediately report to the Council the measures taken and discontinue them as soon as the latter itself has taken the measures necessary for the maintenance of international peace.

The Repertoire covers any invocation of the right of self-defence in the Council’s decisions, in its deliberations and in official correspondences from Member States.

If Russia veto the move then a coalition can be formed without the involvment of Russia but that would be highly risky also because we would effectivly be declaring war with Russia so I supposed you are screwed whichever avenue you take

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

If Russia veto the move then a coalition can be formed without the involvment of Russia but that would be highly risky also because we would effectivly be declaring war with Russia so I supposed you are screwed whichever avenue you take

Not necessarily. Only if Russia chooses to intervene on the other side of the coalition. And even then things can be kept fairly limited. Any member that chooses to stay out of the coalition isn't an automatic declaration of war against them.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Maybe so. Yes.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
In my opinion, any breakdown of the Security Council structure or authority is a big sign something serious is going on. UN SC was set up so the big boys (that control the world) dont fight among themselves. Until that happens its more of the same.

Somebody doesnt want the UN around, question is who?
Situation in Syria is seriously fubar, better to leave it alone.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I found a interesting article whilst reaserching something with regards to the situation in syria. I was researching the fact that 'if' there is a WW3 (which I do not think will happen but you never know.) it would be started by the United Nations. There was a theory or prophacy (not sure if it was in one of nostradamuses quatraines also) that stated that the next world war would either be started by the UN or it would be a inter galactic war (a real WORLD war)

Any whilst researching that I came across this and found it rather interesting. I will not post the whole article but I will post a snippet and place a link to the article.

Operation Unthinkable

Operation Unthinkable was a code-name of two related plans of a conflict between the Western Allies and the Soviet Union. Both were ordered by British Prime Minister Winston Churchill in 1945 and developed by the British Armed Forces' Joint Planning Staff at the end of World War II in Europe.

The first of the two assumed a surprise attack on the Soviet forces stationed in Germany in order to "impose the will of the Western Allies" on the Soviets and force Joseph Stalin to honour the agreements in regards to the future of Central Europe. When the odds were judged "fanciful", the original plan was abandoned. The code-name was used instead for a defensive scenario, in which the British were to defend against a Soviet drive towards the North Sea and the Atlantic following the withdrawal of the American forces from the continent.

The study became the first of Cold War-era contingency plans for war with the Soviet Union. Both plans were highly secret at the time of their creation and it was not until 1998 that they were made public.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by nake13

How is a mortar round a "Massive explosion"?

It's bloody massive if it lands within 10 feet of you I can tell you!

I know. To a CNN reporter a car back fire outside his window could be "massive". Of course he better embellish his "story" if he wants to create any "impact".

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

Not necessarily. Only if Russia chooses to intervene on the other side of the coalition. And even then things can be kept fairly limited. Any member that chooses to stay out of the coalition isn't an automatic declaration of war against them.

Also hard to justify sinking US naval vessels in the Mediterranean after 300 Tomahawk cruise missiles came from them.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
There are no fingerprints on an exploded mortar round.
I'd not put it past someone in Assad's group to try and lay the blame on the FSA.
Hell, it could even be Israel's Mossad stirring the pot.
Or some other fringe group like the Hezbollah.
Heh, or even the Russians trying dupe the USA into get rid of Assad for them.

M.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
CNN has a history of faking war events. There are plenty of youtube videos of CNN 'live attacks' from the 90's that by today's standards are laughable in terms of competency of acting.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

If a us vessel fires 300 cruise missiles into Syria, I hope Russia, does sink it.

If Chemical weapons are indefinitely proved to have been used in Syria, and it's PROVED to have been the government then sure they should intervene.

How ever the UN team has yet to determine if this is true, and where they think the weapons came from.

Chemistry is a wonderful thing, and it's very possible to find out where those weapons came from at this point.

Until then, bugger off. It's terrible people are dying, but why go hang the wrong man at this point.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moshpet
There are no fingerprints on an exploded mortar round.
I'd not put it past someone in Assad's group to try and lay the blame on the FSA.
Hell, it could even be Israel's Mossad stirring the pot.
Or some other fringe group like the Hezbollah.
Heh, or even the Russians trying dupe the USA into get rid of Assad for them.

M.

He [Dr. XXXXX] has published details of the technique in the latest issue of the Journal of Forensic Sciences. In his paper he demonstrates that it is possible to recover fingerprints from a bullet casing ejected when a pistol is fired. "As you are pushing the magazine in you are actually putting a thumb print on the bullet," said Bond. "That's the person you want. That's the guy who loaded the gun."

i would not be so sure!,,might be the same for a mortor round!

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

You fail to understand how a mortar round works. The round is dropped in the tube, the entire round is launched from the tube towards the target. It then explodes into bazillions of sharp fragments of death.

The mortar tube is then packed up and taken to the next target.

The mortar tube is the gun, the ammunition is completely destroyed upon use. There is nothing left once it is fired.

Hand guns, and mortars are nothing alike.

Some reading on mortars for you

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

yes i can see from the picture in the video,
there would be not much of a chance,
the way the "round", is being handled,,
of getting a finger print. from fragments.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join