It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lesbian Jailed for Relationship With Underage Girl

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I dont see it as a separate issue as this thread implies. It is an adult and a minor-child. No labels neccessary.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Absolutely. She probably figured she'd get off easy because she's a woman. When this case first broke I kinda laughed..because really the age difference isn't that big a deal.And i'd feel the same if it was a male too. Then as more came out..I got disgusted.By contacting her girlfriend she pretty much screwed herself. And I hope the judge throws the book at her. And tells her parents off. They all need a lesson.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Agree with the verdict but the sentence is far too extreme. Yes it is Statutory Rape or its equivalent; a minor can not consent to any sexual acts in the eyes of the law, and the behaviour of the accused is certainly predatory in similar respects to male child sex offenders.

In my jurisdiction, if she were 17 and male (or the victim 15) it would ave been no crime, as the law here allows for a 3 year age gap as an excuse for sexual penetration of a child under 16 in heterosexual circumstance but not in same sex relationships (in that instance the age of consent is 21). I'm not sure what the law is there, but if there were any mitigating circumstances then it would have been reflected in the judgement.

Sentence will be reduced on appeal no doubt.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I find it funny how people think there's some sort of magic transformation that occurs when a person turns 18 that instantly makes them become an adult. They may be considered to be an adult by law but 18 is still a child. I don't condone sex between an 18 and 14 yr old and 14 is too young for sex period but what do people expect to happen when these kids share the same environment.

Society puts them under the same authority in the same schools and treat them all like children but the law classifies the older ones as "adults". This makes absolutely no sense to me. Why are children attending school with "adults"? When this kind of thing happens can we really put all of the blame on these kids?

Obviously there needs to be some form of punishment but 30 years in prison is a bit excessive. There's also the possibility of mental issues or abuse. This young girl may have needed some serious help long before anything became a problem that could have made it possible to avoid this situation in the first place. It's apparent that she needs help now but why did she not get that help before a crime was committed. There must have been warning signs even before she was told to stay away from the 14 yr old. Why didn't the parents and school take more action sooner rather than waiting until she was old enough to throw in prison?

I think many of us assume too often that people like this girl are just monsters that need to be caged. The truth is, we just might need to stop and think about the system we are using to guide them into a normal moral adulthood. My point being that these young individuals may not be as screwed up as their environment is.

Oh! one more thing. I really hope that any court decisions made about this case are not influenced by the gay factor. I like to think her being gay won't play any part in the decisions but I've been to Indian River County many times and they don't take kindly to different folk there. They like things the old fashioned American way but the media is watching so they just may keep things unbiased.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Hello! I'm fairly new to ATS so you'll have to forgive me for any formatting errors. Insert dunce hat here.

I'm 19 years old, and I'm a lesbian. I've debated about cases like this before. In my mind, statutory is statutory and it doesn't matter what varieties of orientation and gender were involved.

In this case, an 18 year old and a 14 year old had sex. Take all gender labels off, and remove any orientation labels. Two people (of any variety of gender identity and orientation) had sex, but one was underage. Naturally, that makes the older party guilty of statutory rape.

First off, why was this in the media anyway? A lot of underage sex goes on but it's rarely taken to court. Statutory rarely makes it in to the media like this has.

Having sex with an underager is not okay. I'm only 19, and in the UK it would be legal for me to date and sleep with a 16 year old. I wouldn't personally sleep with a 16 yr old, but as long as you're not breaking any laws, you're fine. Sleeping with a 14 year old... well, I'm relating it to myself like sleeping with a 15 year old. There are seniors from local schools that come to my college to do half-day courses, and although they must be at least 16, at most they'll get the time and directions to whatever class they need to be in. I couldn't even begin to think about sleeping with someone of that age. In the UK, I feel like if I even breathe on an underager I'll be on the sex offenders register.

I would also like to point out that several of you are misusing the word 'paedophile'. The word 'paedophile' typically refers to an adult who is attracted to someone who is pre-pubescent. At 14, you're not pre-pubescent. 'Hebephile' applies to attractions to those aged between 11 and 14, and 'ephebophile' applies to attractions to those aged between 15 and 19.

This is NOT a question of orientation or gender identity. This is a question of legality. It is not legal to have sex with 14 year olds, regardless of what your orientation or gender identity is. It is still illegal.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by hatfulofhollow

First off .......Welcome to ATS!

Your comments and insight are much appreciated.

I personally think this particular case is more about drama and ego's than the law. The reason I say this is because just take a look around at the elite getting away with crimes far worse than this one with almost no repercussions.

You make a good point about the 14 year old is not a child anymore, unfortunately with the laws in the USA, the girl not listening to court orders, and now the media all over this, the judge will have to apply a stiff punishment.

I do think 30 years is not just, but maybe house arrest and community service for 3 years, should do the trick.

4 years is not that much age difference and it seems hypocritical when the law tries 14 thru 17 year olds as adults, but in this case they are going to be considers children.

I think the facts should be explored, "Did the 14 year old know what she was doing?" and " What type of mindset does she have an adult, or a child?"

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
how can this be the same as rape?
it can Not be.
yes they should be punish't.
each one is different.
it could be the 14 year old
who subducted the 18 year old.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join