posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 11:27 PM
(1) More than half of the coastline of the entire United States is in Alaska.
(2) Antarctica is the only land on our planet that is not owned by any country.
Ninety percent of the world's ice covers Antarctica.
This ice also represents seventy percent of all the fresh water in the world. As strange as it sounds, however, Antarctica is essentially a desert.
The average yearly total precipitation is about two inches.
Although covered with ice (all but 0.4% of it is ice), Antarctica is the driest place on the planet,
with an absolute humidity lower than the Gobi desert..
(3) Canada has more lakes than the rest of the world combined.
Canada is an Indian word meaning ' Big Village '.
(4) Next to Warsaw , Chicago has the largest Polish population in the world.
(5)Woodward Avenue in Detroit, Michigan carries the designation M-1.
So named because it was the first paved road anywhere in tne USA.
(6) Istanbul, Turkey is the only city in the world located on two continents.
(7)The full name of Los Angeles is: El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula
It can be abbreviated to 3.6% of its size: L.A.
(8) The term 'The Big Apple' was coined by touring jazz musicians of the 1930s who used the slang expression 'apple' for any town or city.
Therefore, to play New York City is to play the big time - The Big Apple.
There are more Irish in New York City than in Dublin , Ireland ;more Italians in New York City than in Rome , Italy ;
And more Jews in New York City than in Tel Aviv , Israel .
(9) There are no natural lakes in the state of Ohio . . .everyone is man-made.
(10) The first city to reach a population of 1 million people was Rome , Italy (in 133 B.C.)
There is a city called Rome on every continent.
(11) Siberia contains more than 25% of the world's forests.
(12) Chances that a road is unpaved: in the U.S.A = 1%; in Canada = 75%
(13) The deepest hole ever drilled by man is the Kola Super deep Borehole, in Russia .
It reached a depth of 12,261 meters (about 40,226 feet or 7.62 miles.)
It was drilled for scientific research and gave up some unexpected discoveries,
one of which was a huge deposit of hydrogen- so massive that the mud coming from the hole
was boiling with it.
(14) The Eisenhower interstate system requires that one mile in every five must be straight.
These straight sections are usable as airstrips in times of war or other emergencies.
I have always thought, you should learn something new every day.
Unfortunately, many of us are at the age where what we learn today we usually forget tomorrow.