It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They didn't die for this, Tony

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I'm going to quote the whole article below, since the page will probably be overwritten in a day or so.

THEY DIDN'T DIE FOR THIS, TONY

Nov 11 2004

OH TO have been a cricket on the lawn when George Bush issued Tony Blair with the invite for today's post-presidential election love-in.

BUSH: "Tony, buddy, ah'd like ya to be the first to come over ta celebrate mah victory."

BLAIR: "Hey, just name the day."

BUSH: "Well, ah've got a rodeo on the 10th and mah Inglish Grammar For Beginners class on the 12th, so how about November 11?"

BLAIR: "Erm, could be a problem, that. It's Armistice Day."

BUSH: "Armageddon Day? Heck that's years, maybe months off."

BLAIR: "No, Armistice Day. When we honour the war dead."

BUSH: "Honour 'em? Hey, we can do that here in style, Tony. I've got a 60ft screen at the Oval Office, with CNN beaming live footage of Fallujah in. Plus there's a big wall-chart to tick 'em all off when those Ay-rabs eat dust. I'll get some pretzels in and we'll honour the latest war dead in style."

BLAIR: "No, Armistice Day is when we remember our troops who fell to rid the world of extreme right-wing aggressors."

BUSH: "You celebrate that? Crazy Brits. Suit yourself. I'll get the top hombre up from Mexico for the photoshoot then."

BLAIR: "No, please, I'll be there. But do you mind if I wear a poppy?"

BUSH: "Wear a flower? Have you turned into a goddamn peacenik, Tony?"

BLAIR: "The hell I have."

This is the first November 11 when I'm beginning to wonder what our glorious dead fell for.

Those men of unquestioning devotion and unspeakable courage laid everything on the line because they were told they were making a better world. Yet a few decades down the line, we get a cowboy running the planet who decides the thing about war is that, like Nike, you just do it.

And a British PM who holds his holster while he saddles up.

For Blair to arrange to meet Bush so soon after he won a bitterly-divisive election victory over Labour's natural ally, the Democrats, is hard to fathom. To do it at a time when the majority of the country believes he lied to us to take us into Bush's private war is incredible.

To do it on Armistice Day, when Bush is in the middle of unleashing Operation Phantom Fury on a people he's supposed to have liberated, while at home the anti-war feeling is so raw it washes up to the door of Downing Street in the shape of a tear-drenched wreath from parents who feel they lost their sons for nothing, just beggars belief.

The sacrifices of our unknown heroes may have created an immensely wealthier world but we're clearly as far as we've ever been from the peace they thought they were dying for.

God bless you, lads. You gave your lives so that we could live on a better, more honest and more peaceful planet.

I'm sorry that my generation insults your memory.

www.mirror.co.uk...

What else can I say ? - Surely no-one in their right mind would back Blair after so many screwups and betrayals ?

[Edited on 11-11-2004 by Pisky]

join