It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women shuck their shirts for Go Topless Day in Vancouver

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Topless women plan to walk through downtown Vancouver Sunday as part of International Go Topless Day.

Event organizers say it’s not fair that it’s socially acceptable for men to walk around without their shirts on, while it’s taboo for women to do the same.

In Vancouver, it’s legal for women to bare their chests, however it’s not a common site at the city’s swimming holes, unless you’re at a nudist area such as Wreck Beach.

Women will shuck off their shirts in 40 cities around the world to take part in the demonstration.

Source

And I took a Sunday afternoon nap.

Seriously though, personally,I think this is ridiculous. Why do women feel the need to go topless on a busy street? Simple, penis envy. Now don't get me wrong, I'm a straight guy and I'm all for a little T&A but isn't this the point these women want to make? Trying to desensitize men regarding their endowed woman-hood so men won't become sexually aroused? What kind of woman doesn't want a man to be sexually aroused when flaunting their boob parts? Think about it...

Pure feminism at its finest. It makes me mad that women (certain women) want to take one of the things men find attractive about women and turn it into a pissing contest because men can bare their chests. To take away the seductiveness and replace it with contempt. Listen, I've got news for you gals. You will never make men in our society look at boobs and think armpits. Ever. There are certain qualities about women that will always be considered art. Hips, legs, neck, breasts, bottom all flowing into a beautiful array of curves and pleasing to the male eye. And you want to take that away from us? Fine, then I've got a solution.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Pics or it didn't happen...

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
And i just told my buddies i didnt want to go to vancouver today damnit. Im not even kidding either.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I don't understand... i'm not complaining
, but I don't get it?

On one hand it feels like there is a sort of discomfort already to begin with regarding females and attracting unwanted attention or sexual degradation i've heard, yet they are pushing to walk around topless?

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Exactly. I guess their reasoning is to make us blush and look away?? Watch the video clip in the link where an interviewer removes her top while speaking to the Mayor of Kelowna. Suddenly the expression in her face turns from warm and friendly to power and disdain. It's a power thing, no if's or and's about it. Pure power.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
It's only about a hundred or so people so don't go thinking that we all subscribe to this kind of exhibitionism.

If I wanted to see it, I'd go to wreck beach where it's kind of expected..

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
ok... the red head leader of the initiative is... wow! Its worth the look btw...

I applaud... as long as women there are like that red head...

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

It happened. I live here. It's more of a protest against certain cultural things. Van is sort of complex in that regard. Lots of cultures here and many cannot really handle it.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I think there's a real issue here concerning gender equality.
In South Africa indigenous cultures don't view bare-breasted women as sexual at all (although they have covered up, except for certain festivals).
For men to go topless in gender mixed spaces was also not an universally accepted practice until the last century, although strangely male nude swimming was the norm in many US schools or the YMCA until the late 1960s, and it was fairly widely shown in magazines, and even adverts.

Despite raising a gender topic, in this case it has little to do with feminist groups.

In fact, the "go topless" campaigns appear to stem from the Raelians, a so-called "UFO cult".

The event is sponsored by GoTopless, a group formed in the American state of Nevada by former French auto-racing journalist Claude Vorilhon, currently known as Rael, spiritual leader of the Raelian Movement, a UFO religion. GoTopless has supported events and chapters in other countries.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 25-8-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
As a woman who doesn't consider herself a feminist....I'd like to offer my following experience:

Underwire bras are an uncomfortable societal mandate and expectation. There is probably nothing more refreshing and relaxing that taking those darn things off at the end of a work day. It's the womens version of a cold beer and peeing off the porch at midnight.

Granted, womens rituals of this nature...(traditionally)....should remain private and away from the eyes of men who are not our husbands so we get to keep the feminine mystique in it's proper place.

But when no one is looking, most of us modest ladies take those hideous torture devices off and it's the female version of...

edit on 8/25/13 by GENERAL EYES because: corrected video embed

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sullier

idk. The whole thing is rather complex. There are certain types of women who would gleefully strip off their tops at these protests and yet none of them are there for the same reason. Here's the break down the way I see it.

1. Attention seekers
2. Man haters
3. Unattractive ladies
4. Attractive ladies
5. Feminists
6. Lesbians

And each group with their own agenda. Largely unattractive women attend these things and you might see a handful of pretty girls who just like the shock value of it. They really couldn't give two schnizzels about equality.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

feminine mystique in it's proper place

That's a much better way of explaining it. What kind of woman would want to give that up? Aren't women taught from a young age with Barbie dolls and advertisements that the feminine mystique is the power to landing a successful man?

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo
reply to post by Sullier

idk. The whole thing is rather complex. There are certain types of women who would gleefully strip off their tops at these protests and yet none of them are there for the same reason. Here's the break down the way I see it.

1. Attention seekers
2. Man haters
3. Unattractive ladies
4. Attractive ladies
5. Feminists
6. Lesbians

And each group with their own agenda. Largely unattractive women attend these things and you might see a handful of pretty girls who just like the shock value of it. They really couldn't give two schnizzels about equality.

Women are pissed that they feel inequality in terms of exposure? And in order to shut them up, call them ugly and lesbians, because it kinda offends you!

Ahha.

"Get back in the kitchen woman, where I can feel safe."

man... why even give a toss? not literally? it's [snip]... enjoy them. but you're gawking and staring and going "OH MY GOD!" which is exactly what it's all about...

ahhhh god.. lol

edit on 25-8-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
I don't understand... i'm not complaining
, but I don't get it?

On one hand it feels like there is a sort of discomfort already to begin with regarding females and attracting unwanted attention or sexual degradation i've heard, yet they are pushing to walk around topless?

Please don't generalize. Just because a few women feel the need to run around Vancouver topless doesn't mean that that is something that all women want to do or would be comfortable with doing. As a woman, I think it's pretty stupid and, frankly, not a fan of guys running around topless either because that can be just as jarring as our society is acclimatized to both men and women normally wearing tops. So, even a guy going topless can have a social stigma to it. I see a topless guy walking around somewhere and I think "ape" along with a whole slew of probably snooty thoughts.
As a woman, I see these women basically fighting for a right that is already dying out for men, too, in terms of what is socially acceptable and at least to me, that's pretty moronic at best.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Me personally, I have nothing against their actions. Would it be something I'd do? Nah not under these circumstances. I like my girls hidden for the most part.

I was thinking whilst reading your post, what a shame these women haven't put the day to good use. Awareness of breast cancer is an obvious one.

Highly speculative on my part, are these the type of women that are first to call foul when receiving unwanted looks or attention?

Trying not to sound as if I'm against my own gender, just against a certain type of attention seeking that has no real meaning.
edit on 25-8-2013 by feelingconnected because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

International Go Topless Day

What a beautiful idea! I think we should do this at least once a month or every other Friday.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Oh absolutely. In the name of ATS's integrity and reputation, we absolutely must demand pics on this story. Nothing less than high definition color will suffice.....in the interests of insuring they are genuine, of course.
(The Pictures...that is..!)

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Women are pissed that they feel inequality in terms of exposure? And in order to shut them up, call them ugly and lesbians, because it kinda offends you!

Dude, lol have you ever been to a nude beach? I'm not blowing smoke when I make a sweeping generalization like that. Sure, there are some attractive people who go there but lets be honest. I'm also not offended, just I think it's moronic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join