It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not Guilty – Christians Acquitted After Bible Reading at DMV

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by overratedpatriotism

Are you in an elevator talking about something I do not agree with? That is an arresting.

We are talking about religion here and that a person was preaching at them. Way different from talking in a elevator or in line talking about politics.

I am a christian and I understand what you are saying. While the guy was being a douche and I do not agree with his methods of proselytism if you give an inch of your rights the gov takes a mile.

These laws have been here since the founding of this country and it is only lately that they are finally being enforced.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I think it would have been more fun to heckle the preacher with paradoxes and religious inconsistencies rather than involve our nation's prison guards. I mean if the preacher insists on reading their propaganda out loud then they should be ready when I make fun of them.

I mean listening to someone quote the bible is rather annoying (especially since most are selective about what they quote and always skip over the inconsistencies), but it's not so annoying that I'd want these people handled by a bunch of state funded thugs.

I mean wouldn't have made the whole thing more lively if instead of pulling out a phone and dialing 911, someone just yelled out, "How does a soul that has left the body and therefore doesn't have pain receptors feel the pain of burning in fire?""

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
British Women Sue After Crucifix Necklaces Cost Them Their Jobs

So, it's ok to be fired for wearing a cross then right? That's not harassment or persecution, right?

English coffee shop told to stop displaying bibles

As part of the decor in his cafe, Murray displayed a DVD of Bible verses being read. The text of the verses appeared on the screen but the sound was turned down. For this, Murray received a visit from the local constabulary. [Murray] says the officers told him that displaying offensive or insulting words is a breach of Section 5 of the Public Order Act, and told him to stop displaying the Bible.

Teacher Fired For Wearing Christian Cross

Teacher's Aide Contesting One-Year Suspension for Wearing Cross to SchoolWednesday, April 23, 2003GLEN CAMPBELL, Pa. "” A teacher's aide is challenging her one-year suspension without pay for wearing a cross necklace, which officials say violates a Pennsylvania Public School Code prohibition against teachers wearing religious garb."I got suspended April 8, 2003, for wearing a cross to work and not being willing to either remove it or tuck it in," said Brenda Nichol, 43, of Indiana County.

Christian sacked for wearing cross loses appeal

I could go on and on pulling up things being done against Christians in majority Christian nations. It's no longer a right if we don't exercise it and start getting arrested for doing so. This is a very real fight. The fact the judge threw the case out against these men "preaching" in front of the DMV shows the cop was wrong.

They might irritate the crap out of you, but they were not breaking the law, and quite frankly, if they were breaking the law, it's a law worth breaking. Our nation is being ruined by Godless people who care more about themselves, their lusts and greed than in loving one another and living as Yeshua showed the way.
edit on 26-8-2013 by UnifiedSerenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

They disturbed the public order with the spreading their BS.
Don't get me wrong, i'm not against christians, but they should not be harassing people with their religion, muslims should do neither.

If one is interested, there are more than enough places to go to like churches and mosks

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnifiedSerenity
could you supply some proof that these people are getting in other people's faces or blocking their way? I can understand why people would find them annoying, but as I said, I find a lot of things annoying in public, but I don't expect people to be harassed for it or arrested.

No proof is necessary and if you have an understanding of basic principles of law in this nation, what they violated was the Captive Audience theory of presenting/preaching/speaking to people who are not there of their own free will for the purpose of hearing it, but must abandon the business they are conducting to escape it.

For whatever reason and logic, the Judge here didn't see it that way for proper charge and application of it. What can I say? This is the state where the cops got off beating Rodney King the first time and OJ got an acquittal on multiple homicide. There is no accounting for a court ruling and it's always a crap shoot.

The Captive Audience theory of law though is well established with precedent and history. We can debate the technical sides of it, as obviously the court and cop didn't 100% agree on this. The theory itself exists and is used in practice on cases similar to this, on a regular basis.
edit on 26-8-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

could you supply some proof that these people are getting in other people's faces or blocking their way? I can understand why people would find them annoying, but as I said, I find a lot of things annoying in public, but I don't expect people to be harassed for it or arrested.

Eye witness proof, me on three different occasions when i was involved in a lawsuit that required trips to the courthouse.

But like i also said, i didn't agree with them being arrested. While i don't agree with them, they are pretty innocuous just a vocal pain in the butt.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by eManym

Actually it is against the Christian religion to preach to someone if they haven't been asked to be preached to.

"First, nothing means anything if you don't have a DESIRE to see people saved. Jesus commanded His disciples in Matthew 28:19 to “GO” into all the world preaching the Gospel. Every Christian is commissioned by the Lord to “GO.” Most churches never get beyond the word “GO.” All the Bible knowledge and eloquent speaking ability in the world means nothing if a person does not “GO.” This means taking the Gospel, using our feet as Romans 10:15 says, to preach the Gospel.

The church in Acts didn't send out invitations to the heathens to come; rather, they went out publicly, door-to-door (Acts 20:20). In Luke 14:16-24, Jesus tells the parable of a wedding feast. The lord invited many friends and noble guests to the wedding; but none of them came. So the lord told his servants... "Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. For I say unto you, That none of those men which were bidden shall taste of my supper" (Luke 14:23-24).

Thus, God wants us to GO OUT, and to COMPEL lost sinners to come to Christ for salvation. In John 4:7-29 Jesus CONFRONTED the Samaritan woman at the well with the Gospel, and she got saved. In Acts 8:26-37 God told Philip to CONFRONT the Ethiopian eunuch with the Gospel, and the man believed on Jesus Christ and was saved. You see, the Word of God teaches CONFRONTATIONAL soulwinning, not lifestyle evangelism. If Jesus had not confronted the woman at the well in John 4, she never would have been saved. If Philip had not confronted the Ethiopian eunuch, then the man would likely never have been saved.

Jesus said to His disciples in Matthew 9:37, "The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few." Things haven't changed much in 2,000 years."

edit on 26-8-2013 by PrimeLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Court trumps cop 100% of the time. Luckily the cop didn't play judge, jury and executioner as many are in the habit of doing today.

You are simply wrong.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by bg_socalif

Eye witness proof, me on three different occasions when i was involved in a lawsuit that required trips to the courthouse.

But like i also said, i didn't agree with them being arrested. While i don't agree with them, they are pretty innocuous just a vocal pain in the butt.

Thank you for sharing your experience and views. I am sure they are a pita, but that is America. There is a ton of stuff I don't like and so I just ignore it, turn the channel, roll up my window (hate loud bass music thumping) etc.. I would more than likely start a conversation with them and find out just what they were trying to do. I used to regularly invite Mormons and JW's into my home and on a handful of occasions by God's grace led them in sinner's prayers and watched them change before my eyes. Word may have gotten out though because they knocks became less frequent as they sough to evangelize me.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
the dmv is bad enough without a couple douches yelling at you. friggin swindlers need to get a real job.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime
i wish they would stop throwing their religion in our face, i'm fine if you want to practice it in your own home but parading around flamboyantly with your religion, not in my America!

this is what i encounter in countless topic regarding homosexuality, see how absurd it sounds?

everyone has the right to their own freedoms

Lol that made me laugh

You forget what "Your America" was founded upon..... Believe me you're more than welcome to read whatever text you want aloud in front of me... That's your right...

Don't trample people's rights just because people using them causes you some inconvenience.

I apologize for having the right to freely practice my religion however I see fit because it seems to be such an Inconvenience for you.
edit on 26-8-2013 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Being a constitution loving American, I am not your typical bible believing Christian. There was a time in our country that same sex couples could not even hold hands or give a simple peck on the cheek or lips or hug when saying goodbye.

How did that all change? The gay community had some really out there people who were willing to offend so they could simply have the right to do simple things. Now, I don't like the extreme acts done by some publicly whether gay or straight, but now all these years later, gays can for the most part at least admit they are gay, go out to dinner or a movie and not be in fear of getting fired or beaten to death. There are still some terrible crimes done against gays, but for the most part society has moved on.

What two consenting adults do on their own in their own private area has NO affect on me. I see this incredible intolerance on both sides. The fundamentalists want to outlaw gays, keep gays from the same rights, and if they had their way I am sure women would not wear pants, make-up, no one would be able to buy alcohol, coffee or tea and eventually if they were in control you would have a complete lock down on freedom of expression.

Then there are the lunatic liberals who want to stop Christians from praying at their job, school, read the bible or witness, tell people what to eat, drink, no smoking cigarettes but apparently weed is ok, and no limit on nudity and sex during prime time and children's morning shows.

Yes, society does set standards. We elect people we think most closely represent us (well sometimes, as vote fraud seems to be rampant). My problem is this cop was obviously wrong. He appeared to be pretty upset with these guys, and I wonder if they are getting tailed in their cars to get extra tickets and harassment around town. This happens a lot to anyone that some police don't like.

There has been a very overt trend in America that professes to be 80% Christian to allow Christians rights to be limited over the years. It's like Gay is great, but keep your Christianity in private in many sectors. This is crap. Let people express themselves within limits. I don't like bullhorns, but simply reading the bible out loud and getting arrested for it smacks of China and Korea where beating of Christians is quite alright unless they are a State sanctioned and approved church which means the State comes before God.

My one concern in all of this is that some people will add this public reading to their list of why we need to get rid of Christians in the future. I am pretty sure America will look a lot different in five years.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Mar 16:15 And he (Yeshua) said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

pardon me, but can I ask what translation your quoting?
Thanks

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Court trumps cop 100% of the time. Luckily the cop didn't play judge, jury and executioner as many are in the habit of doing today.

You are simply wrong.

Oh really? I'm wrong?

It can't be that this SPECIFIC CASE decided differently than the law this arrest was made under by circumstances the Judge took unto consideration. It has to be that specific members of ATS are individually wrong. I see... Some are flat out wrong while others are right. Funny... I never saw talk here as a 0 sum game.

You're showing this viciousness across multiple threads.. I think we're done on pretty much any topic while fighting, not debating, is your sport and seeming attraction. I'm so sick of the Gotcha crap and fighting vs. civil discussion.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I can't understand why the prosecutor decided to charge these men with "demonstrating without a permit" and not simple, open and shut "disturbing the peace" and "public nuisance", to which they were clearly guilty.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

A true Christian wouldn't give a flying monkey turd.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Agreed on that. It seemed a simple enough case and situation. They wouldn't be the first to get dinged on that law in California and they sure won't be the last. You're right though, they screwed up a basic disturbing the peace case. Maybe all those stories about California's court system being underfunded and incapable by stretching to the limit have merit? Overworked Officers of the Court (like prosecutors) do stupid stuff when they're pissed over bad pay and conditions, eh?

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmikeS

Mar 16:15 And he (Yeshua) said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

pardon me, but can I ask what translation your quoting?
Thanks

Hmmm, I did not quote that, but I will surely be glad to repost it:

The CJB has it thusly:

Mar 16:15 Then he said to them, "As you go throughout the world, proclaim the Good News to all creation.

KJV Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

NIV 15 He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.

NAS 15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.

Is there a problem here I am unaware of? It's a rather well known text from the NT.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
It is called the Great Commission

NIV

The Great Commission

Matthew 28:16-20 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

KJV

Matthew 28:16-20

King James Version (KJV)

16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.

17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

CJB (Jewish New Testement)

Mat 28:16 So the eleven talmidim went to the hill in the Galil where Yeshua had told them to go.
Mat 28:17 When they saw him, they prostrated themselves before him; but some hesitated.
Mat 28:18 Yeshua came and talked with them. He said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
Mat 28:19 Therefore, go and make people from all nations into talmidim, immersing them into the reality of the Father, the Son and the Ruach HaKodesh,
Mat 28:20 and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember! I will be with you always, yes, even until the end of the age."

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

Too bad the preacher wasn't preaching the words or the teachings of Jesus, but of the FALSE teacher, Paul.......I might have been less offended if they were preaching a message of love, but Roman 1:18 isn't it!

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

<< 1  2    4 >>

join