It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
These young men and women sign up to risk their very lives to protect us -- and this is what they get in return:
1. They get sent off to wars that have NOTHING to do with defending America or saving our lives.
2. While the troops we claim to "support" are serving their country, bankers who say they too "support the troops," foreclose on the actual homes of these soldiers and evict their families while they are overseas!
3. How many of you who say you "support the troops" have visited a VA hospital to bring aid and comfort to the sick and wounded?
4. Who amongst you big enthusiastic "supporters of the troops" can tell me the approximate number of service women who have been raped while in the military? Answer: 19,000 (mostly) female troops are raped or sexually assaulted every year by fellow American troops.
5. Help a homeless vet today? How 'bout yesterday? Last week? Last year? Ever? But I thought you "support the troops!"?
6. And you know, the beautiful thing about all this "support" you and I have been giving the troops -- they feel this love and support so much, a record number of them are killing themselves every single week. In fact, there are now more soldiers killing themselves than soldiers being killed in combat.
Originally posted by Mamatus
When I see a sticker (or little yellow ribbon) that says "Support the Troops" only a couple of things come to mind.
1. They have family in the military.
2. They are Republican.
3. They support stupid wars.
I really and truly think in most cases it is little more than a political statement. As for Michael Moore? I like some of what he says and stands for but I remain not a fan as he skews statistics to make his statements just as often as his opposition..
IMO most of the rank and file are in the Military not to fight for Americas Freedom, but to get a paycheck. Less face it, most youngsters from "wealthy" families are not joining up. Most all the kids I hear about joining the Military feel like they have "No Other Option" to make a living, get some benefits or afford school. And then you have the sicko's that truly enjoy killing people, they often re-enlist as there is no other way to get their fix.
The only thing that makes it "SAD" is that we live in a country where some choose war to actually save them selves', I don't recommend it.
Originally posted by OpinionatedB
reply to post by Battleline
That's truly sad....
Originally posted by Battleline
I think a lot of young people join because they probably think they have a better chance in the service then they do on the streets