It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Moore: I don't support the troops

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
This rang true to me and I felt the need to share.

These young men and women sign up to risk their very lives to protect us -- and this is what they get in return:

1. They get sent off to wars that have NOTHING to do with defending America or saving our lives.

2. While the troops we claim to "support" are serving their country, bankers who say they too "support the troops," foreclose on the actual homes of these soldiers and evict their families while they are overseas!

3. How many of you who say you "support the troops" have visited a VA hospital to bring aid and comfort to the sick and wounded?

4. Who amongst you big enthusiastic "supporters of the troops" can tell me the approximate number of service women who have been raped while in the military? Answer: 19,000 (mostly) female troops are raped or sexually assaulted every year by fellow American troops.

5. Help a homeless vet today? How 'bout yesterday? Last week? Last year? Ever? But I thought you "support the troops!"?

6. And you know, the beautiful thing about all this "support" you and I have been giving the troops -- they feel this love and support so much, a record number of them are killing themselves every single week. In fact, there are now more soldiers killing themselves than soldiers being killed in combat.

You can read the entire blog here.

The extent of the support I received from outside the government in my years of service was some handshakes and a trip to Disneyland. During the height of the Global War on Terror, no less!

If you truly want to 'support the troops,' please do something more than buying a car magnet.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
It seems Michael Moore is complaining because people don't really support the troops. I think the title may need some altering. I didn't go to the site, just read the content.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
You should really change the title, unless you're intentionally using that title to get people who hate Michael Moore (or people who love troops) attention. It's technically correct (he even states it multiple times in the article), but still.

That being said, I agree with Michael Moore. Say what you want about the guy (and you could probably say a lot given his history), but he does raise some good points in this piece. Being somewhat guilty of this behavior myself, it definitely changed my mind. This article definitely supports the troops far more than others (including myself) have done.
edit on 25-8-2013 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
When I see a sticker (or little yellow ribbon) that says "Support the Troops" only a couple of things come to mind.

1. They have family in the military.
2. They are Republican.
3. They support stupid wars.

I really and truly think in most cases it is little more than a political statement. As for Michael Moore? I like some of what he says and stands for but I remain not a fan as he skews statistics to make his statements just as often as his opposition..

IMO most of the rank and file are in the Military not to fight for Americas Freedom, but to get a paycheck. Less face it, most youngsters from "wealthy" families are not joining up. Most all the kids I hear about joining the Military feel like they have "No Other Option" to make a living, get some benefits or afford school. And then you have the sicko's that truly enjoy killing people, they often re-enlist as there is no other way to get their fix.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Yes, change the title to the original as found in the link. Michael Moore does offer good points and I feel people need to help out veterans and troops in their needs because they already helped out so many times.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

edit on 25-8-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
MIchael Moore is dead on right.

I feel for those returning for war, and pity those kids who want to join.

If you want to support your troops, talk people out of joining in the first place. None of us are in danger, so there is no need for those kids to be over there doing this to themselves.

Bring them home.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
When I see a sticker (or little yellow ribbon) that says "Support the Troops" only a couple of things come to mind.

1. They have family in the military.
2. They are Republican.
3. They support stupid wars.

I really and truly think in most cases it is little more than a political statement. As for Michael Moore? I like some of what he says and stands for but I remain not a fan as he skews statistics to make his statements just as often as his opposition..

IMO most of the rank and file are in the Military not to fight for Americas Freedom, but to get a paycheck. Less face it, most youngsters from "wealthy" families are not joining up. Most all the kids I hear about joining the Military feel like they have "No Other Option" to make a living, get some benefits or afford school. And then you have the sicko's that truly enjoy killing people, they often re-enlist as there is no other way to get their fix.

I see you're from California...Figures.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

I can only speak for myself, the reason I joined was if I had not I would have no doubt died here in my country, I was history as a citizen with anything to contribute at the sweet age of 14. Somehow I made it to 17 an with a war on I was allowed in.

I think a lot of young people join because they probably think they have a better chance in the service then they do on the streets, YA as many times as they send you back into the hell it seems like the odds are against you but on the streets you have no chance.

This is only my opinion but I doubt the kids that join up now a days really believe the crap about keeping there country free at least tell they see there friends die, then they fight for the guy or gal next to them and the day they go home for good and hopefully a better person.

It worked for me and I'm sure for many others, it is sad that people like Moore never give these kids any credit knowing what the real gig is about.................just fill there pockets from there deaths.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Battleline

That's truly sad....

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
You know, I used to think I support the troops because even though I don't support what they are doing, I know they are just doing their job.

That has recently changed. I support the troops of our nation in history, I even support the troops that invaded Iraq after 9/11 because they were already enlisted, I even support the troops that enlisted up to 5 years after 9/11...because we still kind of thought we were doing the right thing. But anyone after that or anyone that has re-enlisted...I can't say I support them anymore.

These soldiers now have enlisted KNOWING what they are going into...they KNOW they are going to occupy nations and continue creating enemies around the world.

So no, I can't support the current troops. I actually wish the military was suffering with an enlistment problem...but they aren't. The sad fact is that the recruiters know who to target, they target those with no future and feed them a line of bullcrap and patriotism that makes them believe they are doing something honorable.

So I can't put all the blame on them, they really don't have the intellect to know they are being played and used...but I still can't support them.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpinionatedB
reply to post by Battleline

That's truly sad....
The only thing that makes it "SAD" is that we live in a country where some choose war to actually save them selves', I don't recommend it.

The trouble with this war and any forth coming is the multiple deployments, it leaves these kids with a sense of hopelessness........................but I don't see the streets being any better., your damned if you do and damned if you don't, what kind of life is that for anyone to look forward to.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

I agree with that and can only add that I'd LIKE to support them but - in this current environment - I tend to think they exist more as a public funded mercenary force at the discretion of corporate/capitalistic interests.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Let met translate what he is saying for the sheeps...

He don´t support the wars the US starts based on lies and propaganda
And I believe this statement is well timed, as US is about to start another one
edit on 26-8-2013 by Spacespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I pity those who just can't, or don't want to make the distinction between the military, and it''s civilian leaders.

True fact : The military has never started a war.

True fact: Their CIVILIAN commander in chief does.

I support the troops, I don't support politicians,and pundit's who just use them to further their own political agendas.
edit on 26-8-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
OP, why are you deceiving people like that? Please change your title. I may not like Michael Moore but what he said had nothing to do with your title. I would have S+F your post if it didn't have such a misleading title.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
i dont support the troops either

but i also dont support the big MM

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Battleline
I think a lot of young people join because they probably think they have a better chance in the service then they do on the streets

That seems to be by design. I think Michael would agree with you.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

"I don't support Michael Moore."

-Most common household flooring.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join