It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bugging out to an island...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Is bugging to an island a good idea?...in a WROL/SHTF world how would you go about choosing...getting and surviving ?

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Lets see, Mackinaw Island may be fun, as long as you bring a lot of money. Rhode Island, not my style. Isle Royal
Been there twice, a good place to study nature and rough it. It has campgrounds and even a little store and rustic restaurant.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by punk316

Better get going now then and make a plan outlook to come back in a month if not possible then you get the gist.
However to be truthfully honest when SHTF it would most be a missile exchange and know where will be safe.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
OP might I suggest to watch the movie "Cast Away" featuring Tom Hanks. Watch the movie then come back to this thread and reflect upon yourself

also to buy a nice ball

edit on 25-8-2013 by Senduko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Senduko
OP might I suggest to watch the movie "Cast Away" featuring Tom Hanks. Watch the movie then come back to this thread and reflect upon yourself

also to buy a nice ball

edit on 25-8-2013 by Senduko because: (no reason given)

To be honest my plan (if I did bug out to an island) wouldnt be to crash into the sea in a plane...nor to have zero equipment or supplies...

LoL

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by punk316

Are you bringing seeds to plant food?(make sure there not gmo)

Do you got a whole mess of fishing gear?\

Do you have a boat and plenty of replacment parts?

Is there High ground in case of a tsunami?

Do you have a large Library?

Do you have tools that will maintain and or create tools that will need to make your life easier?

Do you have a deck of cards, and two pretty ladies?

Do you have "tabbaco seeds"

Do you have brewing supply's?

If you have all these things, your good to go, and once you get there start pulling drift wood out the water and letting it dry as not to tax the island too much with the constant fire that you will have burning, Although not necessary i suggest a quality radio, satellite, and ham, with a quality set of solar panels, and battery's. and while you at it, your music collection, and a boom box.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Look for a warm climate, cold weather is no fun.

Drinking water

Women do not fare to well in these type of situations, so prepare to be alone, and if on the off chance you find a honey to take with you, she will most certainly cave in , she will get the island fever and leave you hanging. I did this and the chick lasted for almost two weeks, then went completely crazy, crying for hours every day until I finally shipped her sorry ass back too the mainland.
After about a week you'll get used to being alone.

Books, Fishing gear, hunting gear

Solar gear is awesome, but its very heavy and hard to drag around, I have almost two hundred watts of solar and I'm tired of moving panels. adds over 150 pounds to my already heavy load of tents, tarps, rods, reals, knives, art work, bungees, tools, stereo; which never gets used, laptops, desktops, batteries, flashlights, CB equipment, an old Ingraham meteor clock .
The Art work and clock are a pain, I'm constantly worried about them getting wet, and keep them completely covered in tarps most of the time. (Oil , water color, charcoal, photographs)
A cheap air mattress.
blankets& pillows. stuffed animals, military style backpacks
steel toe boots, and flipflops, lots of clothes.

The hardest part is being alone, take lots of pens, and paper, journal every day.
Try it for a year, after that you will be begging for a Starbucks & McDonald , some good islands have these
, Ship a truck to your island if you can afford it.
Im leaving out lots of stuff, including but not limited too; brushes, razors, toothbrushes, soap, etc, etc...

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Oh, to answer your question; No, Bugging Out to islands is generally a bad idea, most people cant handle it, if you are under the age of twenty or older than fifty (with health issues) you probably wont make it two weeks. IF you absolutely must Bug-out, make sure you have a means to get back to the mainland. Also, the islanders will not like you, and will often make you leave your camp.

IF possible add a Toy-Tundra/camper-shelled, mountain bike, and two surf boards to your equipment list.

top topics

join