It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people worship wealth and the wealthy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Too bad most people do not have the self confidence for such convictions.

Ours would be a better world.

Then again, maybe we need to go through these cycles, in order to become a better people,

And to avoid becoming bored to death.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

. [color=gold] class war has always been a fad of the wealthy.....if not, why would anyone build mansions, or palaces if not to have a permanent, publicly displayed example, of how much better they are than anyone else? why would a wealthy person not be happy with a 126-foot yacht like this one......
blog.ycoyacht.com...
instead of a 280-foot yacht, like this one......
blog.ycoyacht.com...

This is patently untrue.

One of the worst lies of the modern era.
Perpetrated by the non-science,
invented just yesterday,
called psychology.

The danger in psychology is that it's a very
poor toolset for judging thoughts as it's all
one sided, Freud, Jung, Anna, Bernays and
the gang all kept finding the anti-christ but
didn't realize why and projected their own
great fears onto the Gentile world and
caused the very genocide they feared.

Because psychology is one sided it causes
projection.

If both doctor _AND_ client were cross
analyzing each other, then maybe we could
begin to balance out the variables.

Freud famously wrote
"Civilization and its Discontents"

Where he posited that it was the nature of
civilization to repress the baser instincts
of man, and as a result man would never be
happy.

The era of propaganda and emotional
manipulation has followed.

What if he was wrong.

Do you know how long it takes to teach one
how to read, write, and do math? Science
has always been known, but there is also
always some brutal tribalism that will come
and take all your neat stuff before you can
raise the next generation of literate people.

So the literates would hide and keep a
low profile until they found that their
neighbors had behaved themselves long
enough to actually teach some of their
children.

Then a civilization rises up.

But inevitably the forces of darkness
grow jealous, migrate, immigrate, or
invade so that the ones who started it
have to fold up their tents and move.

Self control is the history of civil
society, not repression. By the time
repression sets in the wise have all-
ready left the scene.

What you call traditional class war-
fare is nothing more than the decay
of an old civilization that no longer
knows how to recognize wisdom.

Mike

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

I don't think self worship and worship of the wealthy is that same, in fact, they are quite different.

Come on, dig deeper, you can do better than that.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

I don't think self worship and worship of the wealthy is that same, in fact, they are quite different.

Come on, dig deeper, you can do better than that.

Worship of flesh and blood people,
weather the self or the wealthy, is
a sign of decay.

There is nothing deeper than decay.

Have you ever heard the saying
"Money is the hobgoblin of small
minds?"

Self control is where it is at, and
self control can lead to wealth.
Come up higher with me. The
view is nice, and solutions are
plentiful.

Mike
edit on 25-8-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

You know, the problem in saying class war is a tool of the wealthy is the fact the wealthy are played JUST as hard as the poor are. I really do see it on that other site I work on. Those with a lot of money are, by society and political pressure, prone to blame the fact society still has problems on mooches, bums, freeloaders and basic lowlifes. In other words... Everyone who takes any benefits.

Now, I'll tell you from knowing people on both sides of this. They don't learn that from personal experience any more than poor people learn hate from hobnobbing with the rich to know anything about them. Both sides are continually played off against the other by the media and outlets each demographic tends to cluster around. I'm sure they even have this broken down into charts and stats and everything else for how it's done and kept going most effectively, too.

That's the biggest game I think the general public doesn't even see is being played.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
If you are rich, you have ignored the needs of your fellow man for your own sake.

That's not true. You can't make a blanket statement like that.

If someone is rich, chances are that they are rich because they are smart enough to know how to get rich or because they have worked hard to 'make it'. If people are whining about the rich, chances are it's because they are jealous.

If someone works to earn money, they deserve to have that money.
If someone doesn't work to earn money, they don't deserve money that they didn't earn.

To demand that the rich hand their money over to those who have less, simply because the rich have more, is nothing more than THEFT on the part of those who want to take money that doesn't belong to them. It's parasitical. It's looting.

And LOTS of rich people help those who have less ... EVEN THOUGH THEY DO NOT HAVE TO.

For people to demand that the rich flatten out their bank accounts and give it all away simply because they have more ... that's silly. That's people pushing their morals on others. That reminds me of what the left complains about in regards to prolifers ... pushing their morals on others.

I don't worship 'the rich'. But I absolutely do admire someone who makes great effort ... going to school ... starting a business .... working hard ... investing well ... to raise their financial means so they can have a better life for themselves and their children. I'd much rather see people doing that then deciding to sit back on their bums to do nothing and get free handouts from the government.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

An education is no guarantee of wisdom, or barrier against doing bad things for selfish desires.

Self control is good, in fact a critical necessity to success in life, but it is as equally important to be able to let loose the reigns, go a little crazy now and then.

I don't see wealth as the solution, or the problem.

I do think "Necessity is the mother of invention."

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

Both sides are continually played off against the other by the media and outlets each demographic tends to cluster around. I'm sure they even have this broken down into charts and stats and everything else for how it's done and kept going most effectively, too.

Who do you think owns the media and outlets? Who's playing who off of who?

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I have no idea why anyone would worship and protect someone who is wealthy, unless of course it was a family member, but if we are talking strangers then I cant see the sense in that. so many in this world have so little, they don't have the basics, how would someone feel if they couldnt shower on a regular basis, or bathe or wash. or get some coffee, or eat a sandwich, when they felt like it. what is rich to them? may seem poor to lots of others, I think if you can pay your bills, have enough to eat and drink, keep your family warm and as safe as possible, and live with decent morals and principals, displaying respect when it should be displayed. look down on noone, but do not look up either. and that includes your boss. to get respect you have to already have it. The guy collecting the trash may be a lot more interesting and human than the rich person living in the house he is taking said trash from..

it's kinda all down to the individual, thankfully though we are individual, meaning we can differ from each other.
Wouldn't it be nice as an extra, if the lottery done a draw for one years supply of fuel for your home.. how happy and how many would love that... kinda tells ya where majority are at I guess... well I know I'd love it..

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I understand what you are saying. But I don't think it is self worship. I think it is bluster because they are afraid all the time. Afraid of being poor, of having to get a demeaning job, of someone ripping them off, even family. They can't sleep always running to the laptop to see if their balances have changed. You know, they have a lot to worry about.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Define Wealthy then, I suppose.... The people who "control" media are so far above the level where money holds meaning as you or I even know the term, I'm not sure how much it plays into things. People like Bloomberg in New York or the Koch Brothers or Soros? Is wealth really where the mind even operates at that level? I'd think it's an almost abstract thing to pure power and whatever means that goal requires.

Many seem to think mere millionaires are the "wealthy" class to be hated though. That'd be amusing if it wasn't so decisive. Most small business owners with any degree of serious success are 'technically' that by gross, anyway. Little distinctions that get lost in the topic, all too often.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

If you are rich, you have ignored the needs of your fellow man for your own sake.

That's not true. You can't make a blanket statement like that.

If someone is rich, chances are that they are rich because they are smart enough to know how to get rich or because they have worked hard to 'make it'. If people are whining about the rich, chances are it's because they are jealous.

If someone works to earn money, they deserve to have that money.
If someone doesn't work to earn money, they don't deserve money that they didn't earn.

To demand that the rich hand their money over to those who have less, simply because the rich have more, is nothing more than THEFT on the part of those who want to take money that doesn't belong to them. It's parasitical. It's looting.

And LOTS of rich people help those who have less ... EVEN THOUGH THEY DO NOT HAVE TO.

For people to demand that the rich flatten out their bank accounts and give it all away simply because they have more ... that's silly. That's people pushing their morals on others. That reminds me of what the left complains about in regards to prolifers ... pushing their morals on others.

I don't worship 'the rich'. But I absolutely do admire someone who makes great effort ... going to school ... starting a business .... working hard ... investing well ... to raise their financial means so they can have a better life for themselves and their children. I'd much rather see people doing that then deciding to sit back on their bums to do nothing and get free handouts from the government.

You understand your post proves the ops point right?

No where did I demand anything, I said something that in my opinion is true to me.

I know for me to accumulate and horde wealth would mean I have neglected my personal beliefs.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrabbit2000
reply to post by poet1b

Define Wealthy then, I suppose.... The people who "control" media are so far above the level where money holds meaning as you or I even know the term, I'm not sure how much it plays into things. People like Bloomberg in New York or the Koch Brothers or Soros? Is wealth really where the mind even operates at that level? I'd think it's an almost abstract thing to pure power and whatever means that goal requires.

Many seem to think mere millionaires are the "wealthy" class to be hated though. That'd be amusing if it wasn't so decisive. Most small business owners with any degree of serious success are 'technically' that by gross, anyway. Little distinctions that get lost in the topic, all too often.

Personal definition of wealthy is anyone with a few liquid mil free and clear in personal bank account, Business owners wouldn't fall under that in most cases their wealth is tied in assets of the business.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

For some of us, the automatic and near knee jerk dislike to any form of accumulating wealth or being wealthy is just as baffling. The guy I do the mod work for at another site is very wealthy. He earned all of it, too. Nothing given, nothing handed over. He's also a very nice and down to earth guy you wouldn't guess had wealth if he didn't mention it for relation to current events lately.

Some people do use money as a means to an end, right over the top of their fellow man. The Gordon Gecko types in the real world (Wall Street movie fame, for those who didn't see it). Some also use Faith or just desperate need for love and acceptance to achieve the same thing in running the big, very powerful cults. Different tool...same malicious intent.

So the extreme are bad, but lately? It seems like pretty much anyone who has more then we personally have is supposed to be a person we envy to the point of dislike, at best. At least among entirely too many. Class War has become the new fad ..as it would also seem.

I have 2 examples of people that have made a little wealth.

The first one started up a company with 4 others. He was able by different means to get rid of his 4 other partners cheaply so that he was the only owner. The company never made any profit on the paper and he could keep the wages 20% lower in the company because of this. He even had a profit share with the union that never made any money. The reason was that he had a second company that he was taking the profits to by renting things between the companies. This person I probably dislike more than anyone else in the world, because he is the type of person that will back stab his mother for 5$ and just being in the same room with him makes my skin crawl. And he has not even amounted to much wealth if you look at the really wealthy.

Markus Persson ("Notch") a person that created minecraft. A non greedy person that have made some money on what he loves to do and is using the money to create more games.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by Bluesma

I don't think everyone lusts for power, mainly people who feel that they have no power, no personal power to influence others.

There are a lot of people who have the self confidence to feel comfortable with their own level of control over the world. There also a lot of people who see wealth and power as a ball and chain, the imposes on their liberty, and ability to love life.

I don't think communist countries have any less worship of wealth or power, probably more.

I think that there have been periods in the U.S. when the middle class had reached a point, where very few people desired more than they currently owned, and had no real desire to become wealthy.

Where do you find a communist country on earth? I have never heard of one that was communist in anything but label.

Soviet union, China and even Cuba was controlled by a political power pyramid instead of a shared control in the west where it is a marriage between the political and the wealthy ones controlling the public.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

People who own the media are the people I define as wealthy.

People who own moderate sized businesses I do not consider to be wealthy, but upper middle class.

As I stated earlier, if you have more than 10 mil wealth, I would say that puts you in the bottom of the wealthy status.

Some people consider wealthy people to be like gods.

edit on 25-8-2013 by poet1b because: mis y

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

reply to post by poet1b

Let me see if I understand what you're implying here and that is, at a certain point, money no longer has value to those who have billions? If that were the case, then why is it that the very people you list are constantly striving to increase their wealth through acquisitions, investments, or expansions? Whereas I agree that the relationship between money and power most definitely exists and may be a motivation, I think that it's too simplistic to say that those who have exorbitant sums of money are no longer in it for the money but power alone. I'd say that it would be more likely to say that the accumulation of wealth can become an addiction. If you have a few billion dollars then you can utilize those billions to make even more.

To the OP: I think that the "worship" of the wealthy is largely based on the effects of media and advertising. Basically, they are attempting to promulgate an aspirational quality to the majority of the public so that they will consume in order to take on the appearance of the wealthy through emulation. That's why celebrities will be paraded out on red carpets wearing items that actually do not belong to them--frequently, the dresses and jewels that they are wearing are provided to them from a variety of fashion or jewelry houses. Whereas someone who admires a specific actress for their beauty, talent or whatever, may not be able to afford that specific Chanel number with those Cartier earrings, some may acquire it and it will generate a whole slew of "knock offs" that attempt to emulate the look. This emulation of the wealthy is the fundamental driver for market consumption and is what basically gets a large portion of people to drop clothes from use that are still perfectly functional for the "latest style" the next year at whatever their price bracket is.

Practicality is probably the most feared thing to marketers and manufacturers alike. Instead, it's churning out the latest and greatest of the objects within the rich and famous' lives and products that allow the emulation of them. Love that amazing kitchen in that magazine? Buy it!! Or, if you can't afford that, here's a product that changes your cabinets to something that looks kind of like it. It's all basically aspirational marketing.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Not even close.

And you didn't say that you were speaking for yourself. You made a blanket statement that sounded very much like you were pointing the finger at a whole lot of people. If someone is wealthy ... then they are bad. Sure sounded like it ....

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Not even close.

And you didn't say that you were speaking for yourself. You made a blanket statement that sounded very much like you were pointing the finger at a whole lot of people. If someone is wealthy ... then they are bad. Sure sounded like it ....

Oh you miss understand, my post was my opinion, based on my philosophy and world view

I believe that the accumulation of wealth, and the holding of it, requires a certain disconnect from empathy from your fellow man.

I believe its justified with the entitled nature that comes along with it, money and what comes with it appeals to all of our darker natures.

But like all things its a tool, and what matters is what you do with that tool.

Money can be a powerful tool for good, but it does no one any if its purpose is the sole acquisition of more of it.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I wouldn't say the accumulation of wealth is bad or evil. It greatly depends on how that wealth is accumulated.

Most wealth comes from the exploitation of your fellow human, directly or indirectly. Directly if you intentionally extract profit from any trade, indirectly by simply performing any trade in a money base society. Think about it...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join