It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tannerite accident

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I wasn't even aware of this explosive. there was a little accident around here with it. Here is the news story.

www.uppermichiganssource.com...

I like being aware of this stuff, my wife showed me some videos of people using it to blow up stumps and a refrigerator. Seems very dangerous but would be a good perimeter defense. I wonder if they use this at the rifle range, sometimes there are some pretty big booms down there.

I don't think I am going to start messing with any of this. I have grandchildren that come around and they like to go into the woods. All I need is one of them to find some of this stuff in the garage and start experimenting with it. It would be nice for removing stumps but the stump could wind up on the neighbors house or car, they are within three hundred feet.

I wonder what went wrong in the above local accident.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
S&F Rickymouse!

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I found this site with a video, I think it looks kind of fun. I should ask the local cops about regulations governing it's use. The price isn't bad. www.usaammo.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
What happened is there were idiots doing stupid things. Tannerrite will not react unless a high velocity impact occurs. 22lr isn't enough to set it off in most cases, tannerite in its unmixed form is 100% safe, in its mixed form its also 100% safe absent a high velocity impact. So unless your grandkids are shooting at it with a rifle there isnt much that is going to happen. There is more to this story than what is being portrayed, and from experience i can tell you that either a peice of shrapnal impacted the target or a full on round did. In either case it boils down to stupidity because someone was shooting down range while a guy was setting up a target.
edit on 25-8-2013 by C0le because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Wow that's crazy. I was not aware of any cases of the stuff going off without a high powered rifle bullet hitting the mixture.

The FBI lately has been going to gun shops asking about sales of it, and aaking if anyone is buying a lot then try to get more info about there usage.
... I know this because the place I'm employed by had a plain clothes fed come in and talk to me- casually brought up tannerite and since we don't sell it anyway he soon gave me his card. Not only was he an FBI agent, he was special agent "WMD Cooridnator" according to his card.

(Wanted to do my own post on this stuff but don't have enough posts yet.. And wasn't sure enough people knew about tannerite sorry OP hope I didn't derail)

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
That is an ass whopping offense. Again if you don't know EXACTLY what you are doing with a gun ,for your and your family's safety ,turn them over to your nearest vet.
Preferrably Cav but if you know another type of combat vet that will work too.
Think about it,guns are loud and have nasty recoil.You really aren't capable of going head to head with any invader anyway.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ljcsponger87
Wow that's crazy. I was not aware of any cases of the stuff going off without a high powered rifle bullet hitting the mixture.

The FBI lately has been going to gun shops asking about sales of it, and aaking if anyone is buying a lot then try to get more info about there usage.
... I know this because the place I'm employed by had a plain clothes fed come in and talk to me- casually brought up tannerite and since we don't sell it anyway he soon gave me his card. Not only was he an FBI agent, he was special agent "WMD Cooridnator" according to his card.

(Wanted to do my own post on this stuff but don't have enough posts yet.. And wasn't sure enough people knew about tannerite sorry OP hope I didn't derail)

You didn't derail the thread, you added to it. I wonder if the government is tracking these sales on the net. This could be used to create a bomb, just putting some shrapnel in it could make it very dangerous. I wouldn't mind trying to blow up a few teddy bears but wouldn't want the government sticking some flags on me either.

decisions decisions, have fun for a day or set up flags that could possibly impact my serenity. If I believed in the zombie apocalypse this would be a necessity for setting a perimeter.

I wonder how long the shelf life is after you mix it. I suppose it would oxidize within a few days.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
That is an ass whopping offense. Again if you don't know EXACTLY what you are doing with a gun ,for your and your family's safety ,turn them over to your nearest vet.
Preferrably Cav but if you know another type of combat vet that will work too.
Think about it,guns are loud and have nasty recoil.You really aren't capable of going head to head with any invader anyway.

preferably cav

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Yea the agent asking about my stores sales of tannerite (none to date) explained there is a "good way" to use tannerite and then a "bad way" to use it. I played dumb hoping he would explain a bit more but no joy on that.

Too my limited knowledge of tannerite it can't go off without a high velocity bullet strike, but I wonder if something like a blasting cap would set it off?? Idk what the "bad way" entails but I figure if someone is up to no good I guess they can figure something out.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ljcsponger87

I'm sure a blasting cap could set it off but you need a license to get those. I had a can of old blasting caps from my uncles house that I brought down to the gun club to have someone destroy them safely. They were very old and dangerous, probably from in the fifties and they were just left in the garage in the topless can all that time. He was worried about disposing of them safely because he was selling the farm.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
What happened is there were idiots doing stupid things. Tannerrite will not react unless a high velocity impact occurs. 22lr isn't enough to set it off in most cases, tannerite in its unmixed form is 100% safe, in its mixed form its also 100% safe absent a high velocity impact. So unless your grandkids are shooting at it with a rifle there isnt much that is going to happen. There is more to this story than what is being portrayed, and from experience i can tell you that either a peice of shrapnal impacted the target or a full on round did. In either case it boils down to stupidity because someone was shooting down range while a guy was setting up a target.
edit on 25-8-2013 by C0le because: (no reason given)

Exactly. I think there is some ass covering going on here. Tannerite is pretty darned safe. There's nothing funner than watching your bullet affect a target like you are in some 1980's Rambo flick. I've never had so much as a close call with that stuff.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Yea I assumed a blasting cap is harder to get then a rifle+tannerite.

Found this online: this is the FBI checklist for tannerite sales:
www.tannerite.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
In Calif and many other states Tannerite is legal only if you mix it and set it off in a clear area with nothing around it.

Put it under a car, Put a rock on it. Tie it to a tree or use it to remove a stump. ECT ECT ECT ECT and you will get arrested for making and using a destructive device.

The cops will tell you Tannerite is legal till you make a mistake and break the unwritten rules and turn it into a destructive device.
Then they will arrest you without ever warning you ahead of time.

new topics

top topics

join