It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Snowden Psyop Continues: Now Comes The Fallout

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoParadigm

It is documented that Snowden used USB flash drives to smuggle the sensitive materials out.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Yes, weren't we just talking about it?

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

In the midst of the other subject you were opining about, there was a mention of USB thumb drives.

The reason this particular fact matters is that various flavors of Linux are specifically designed to do systems penetration via USB thumb drive.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

In the midst of the other subject you were opining about, there was a mention of USB thumb drives.

The reason this particular fact matters is that various flavors of Linux are specifically designed to do systems penetration via USB thumb drive.

I see, so because the article mentions that Snowden used USB drives to smuggle information, and because Linux can be used to read those drives, the article is part of an ongoing propaganda project against FOSS like Linux.

Are you sure that you don't want to add a few more giant leaps in there?

Heff, are you a masochist? Why are you setting yourself up for this? Why does your thread have to rely on indirect connections that aren't even there?

I mean come on, even if they mentioned Linux by name the article still would not be what you say it is.

Like your last thread. Did they close teh internet forums already? Or djd you see much follow up propaganda on that "propaganda article" you based that thread on, in the past weeks?

You may be pretty accurate regarding the grand skeme of things but you keep pointing out specific aspects that are non issues, or don't prove a thing.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoParadigm

I see, so because the article mentions that Snowden used USB drives to smuggle information, and because Linux can be used to read those drives, the article is part of an ongoing propaganda project against FOSS like Linux.

You've thoroughly misunderstood the point of the OP. I did not suggest the article was part of a propaganda campaign against Linux. What I did infer is that there is a clearly defined history of restrictions being placed upon items that get used in certain ways. One example, folks used to be able to buy Sudafed without hassle - another that one used to be able to purchase as much fertilizer for their lawn as they could haul.

While these examples are not directly identical - they do suggest a pattern.

Are you sure that you don't want to add a few more giant leaps in there?

AboveTopSecret.com is the Internet's largest and most popular discussion board community dedicated to the intelligent exchange of ideas and debate on a wide range of "alternative topics" such as conspiracies, UFO's, paranormal, secret societies, political scandals, new world order, terrorism, and dozens of related topics with a diverse mix of users from all over the world.

Source

If one wishes to discuss only that which is already fully verified and considered absolute fact? CNN probably has a comments section.

Heff, are you a masochist? Why are you setting yourself up for this? Why does your thread have to rely on indirect connections that aren't even there?

Exactly what is it that I have set up myself for? Having to deal with a bit of deliberately obtuse interaction? Meh, such is life.

I mean come on, even if they mentioned Linux by name the article still would not be what you say it is.

Like your last thread. Did they close teh internet forums already? Or djd you see much follow up propaganda on that "propaganda article" you based that thread on, in the past weeks?

You may be pretty accurate regarding the grand skeme of things but you keep pointing out specific aspects that are non issues, or don't prove a thing.

The article may or may not pan out as a sign of what I see coming. My personal belief is that this OP will eventually be proven to have been timely and at least in the correct direction. Many of my threads - as well as the threads of many others here fall into that category.

As for the other thread you referenced? Eleven days is hardly enough time in the oven to comment upon it. Bring it back up in six months and we'll see if forums have come under more of an attack than they currently are.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

You've thoroughly misunderstood the point of the OP. I did not suggest the article was part of a propaganda campaign against Linux. What I did infer is that there is a clearly defined history of restrictions being placed upon items that get used in certain ways.

You are clearly talking about how this rethoric is dangerous.

This becomes problematic when the rhetoric begins to circulate as is stated above... Making Snowden out to be a super hacker with a general sort of "This guy broke through our safeguards and we need to get to the bottom of this and make sure it doesn't happen again, blah blah blah..."

You are not talking about propaganda?

AboveTopSecret.com is the Internet's largest and most popular discussion board community dedicated to the intelligent exchange of ideas and debate on a wide range of "alternative topics" such as conspiracies, UFO's, paranormal, secret societies, political scandals, new world order, terrorism, and dozens of related topics with a diverse mix of users from all over the world.

Well,

The simple yet effective motto of our membership is "deny ignorance", which signifies an effort to apply the principals of critical thought and peer review to the provocative topics covered within.

Just covering the other side of spectrum, Heff.

Exactly what is it that I have set up myself for? Having to deal with a bit of deliberately obtuse interaction? Meh, such is life.

Having to deal with reason and logic instead of paranoia fueled fantasy and speculative fear mongering.

As for the other thread you referenced? Eleven days is hardly enough time in the oven to comment upon it. Bring it back up in six months and we'll see if forums have come under more of an attack than they currently are.

You said the article in your last thread was a part of ongoing propaganda. Where's the follow up propaganda? Or was that single article the propaganda?

The article may or may not pan out as a sign of what I see coming. My personal belief is that this OP will eventually be proven to have been timely and at least in the correct direction.

It can very well be true that they are going after FOSS, the point is that based on the rethoric in your sources, this conclusion can't be made.

Any conclusion of such nature is pure speculation and reaching.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Neo you are not saying anything in your posts, you are contributing absolutely nothing to this thread, the OP, or topic. You have even forced a well known MOD on this site ride the T&C line and call you deliberately obtuse (he probably pick that up from me).

You are just going in circles like child who asks why? (response) Why? (response) Why? (response) Why? (response) Why? (response) Why? (response) Why?...

The OP is about a news article that has made the Author feel that a new target in the spy scandal is FOSS. The article is his evidence presented to back up his theory on the this conspiracy thread on this conspiracy site. He does not require to make you believe by your standards. Demanding someone to make you understand something that you are obviously incapable of understanding or accepting is not staying on topic it is distracting the topic, trashing this thread, and down right disrespectful to anyone who would like to enjoy this thread.

The only single word I can think of that would describe what you post, in every post, you post is SNOT!

I could understand Heff requesting to hold his own on his thread, but even so how the other Mods would let you continue with your little broken record song and dance is beyond me.

The Rat.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TucoTheRat

I can understand why your posts were removed though.

And there you are again, talking about me.

Didn´t I just show in my other post that you were refuting Heff´s claims too? Saying how Linux will be fine, not too worry about FOSS, how Snowden had easy acces to the info?

Then I did the same, only from the angle that his sources don't back up his claims.

And then you start accusing me of all sorts of stuff.

Do you perhaps have a personality disorder. Coupled with obsessive behavior?

edit on 27-8-2013 by NeoParadigm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

There as been a commercial attack on FOSS for the longest time. Just like there has been a commercial attack on computer modulated demodulated networking in the past that gave birth to the internet, which has turned into the Faceoogletweetube you know today.

I am not refuting Heff's theory, I am just in hopeful disagreement, meaning I theorize differently because the implications on software technology if he is right is just heartbreaking. I am choosing to view the NSA and the Snow leak scandal as an issue of incompetence rather than an orchestrated plane simple because if it is an orchestrated plan we are far beyond screwed. Just placing a government or corporation based license on FOSS would destroy small businesses and make software entrepreneurship fit in a museum next to the dinosaurs. FOSS is the only true market left, the only free market left because it's free and you can make money off it as long as you don't claim the rights to the source.

With that being said Heff's OP is sound, his outlook possible and it is a damn good theory that woe be us all if it comes to pass.

This is why I said what I said and for you to compare my posts with your garbage is the only imaginary, delusional thing happening on this thread.

Why do you think the MODs did not remove my last port to you? For the same reason sometimes you just got to let Batman take out the trash. Crying mommy will only get you as far as your value to a thread.

The Rat.
edit on 27-8-2013 by TucoTheRat because: the dark knight

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I am not refuting Heff's theory, I am just in hopeful disagreement, meaning I theorize differently because the implications on software technology if he is right is just heartbreaking. I am choosing to view the NSA and the Snow leak scandal as an issue of incompetence rather than an orchestrated plane simple because if it is an orchestrated plan we are far beyond screwed.

That's the dumbest cop out I have ever seen. Hopeful disagreement? Like I said you disagreed with his claims, just like me.

Whatever the situation on FOSS, the connections he made between it and the article were non existent.

With that being said Heff's OP is sound, his outlook possible and it is a damn good theory that woe be us all if it comes to pass.

That's funny cause you basically disagreed with every point he made, earlier.

Why do you think the MODs did not remove my last port to you? For the same reason sometimes you just got to let Batman take out the trash. Crying mommy will only get you as far as your value to a thread.

Cause I didn't alert them? Because it wasn't as bad as the previous ones? Because they don't care anymore since the thread is dead anyway. Or maybe because your posts are so dumb that they must remain as a monument of your stupidity? I don't know.

But don't flatter yourself, I didn't call mommy because you're so hard to deal with, it's just that it is a waste of everybodies time for me to get into off topic peeing matches with an obsessive troll displaying schizophrenic behavior.
edit on 27-8-2013 by NeoParadigm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   

That's the dumbest cop out I have ever seen. Hopeful disagreement? Like I said you disagreed with his claims, just like me.

Whatever the situation on FOSS, the connections he made between it and the article were non existent.

Yeah, hopeful disagreement, as in denial. Your now forcing me to psychoanalyze my own damn posts you....you....little....dalek!

How can you sit there and say there is no connection between the article and the OP's theory about FOSS being targeted in the future?

It's a theory, do you know what a theory is?

The article is presented as evidence, The article talks about Linux that is favored by the NSA due to it's non-crappyness and how USB devises were used to smuggle FOSS encrypted data to what is suspected to be other FOSS based network platforms. Obviously the NSA has FOSS at the top of it's to hack list because they don't know what Snow took, how he took it and where he stashed it.

That's the connection right there, all spelled out for you in nice pretty words that even a five month old could understand.

That's funny cause you basically disagreed with every point he made, earlier.

And I still do disagree with his points, or rather I am in denial about such claims.

I hope, that this is a matter of incompetence on the part of the NSA because if this all planned (which BTW very well could be, because if not Snowden would have been dead from an unknown cause from a tap on the shoulder a long time ago) then the US and NSA are playing a very dangerous game and they have a card up their sleeve that they are about to play on the world. What that plan is, if it is a plan, is unknown and way above my head but you can bet that open source ventures like the FOSS conglomerate and in big trouble.

Cause I didn't alert them? Because it wasn't as bad as the previous ones? Because they don't care anymore since the thread is dead anyway. Or maybe because your posts are so dumb that they must remain as a monument of your stupidity? I don't know.

You don't know? Dude I told you I'm the Batman taking out the trash that Commissioner Gordon can't due to laws and regulations.

I like how you mock that fact that you trashed yet another thread.

But don't flatter yourself, I didn't call mommy because you're so hard to deal with, it's just that it is a waste of everybodies time for me to get into off topic peeing matches with an obsessive troll displaying schizophrenic behavior.

The only thing worse than a crybaby crying to mommy is a crybaby that tries to explain why he cries to mommy LOL!

Hey that could be your villain name "The Snot Nose Cry Baby" or "waaaAAAH!" or maybe....I don't know think of one though, just make sure it embodies a whiny little, broken record, twisted, annoying thing that Exterminates threads for no reason......I know!

I forever baptize you "The Dalek"!

The Rat.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Tuco, do you know what a definition of insanity is?

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Tuco, do you know what a definition of insanity is?

insanity

in·san·i·ty /in-san-i-tē/

noun
1.the state of being seriously mentally ill; madness.

But that's just what Google says, I suspect that in order to truly understand just what insanity is, one would need to be a dalek like you. So dalek, tell us all, just what the definition of inanity is...

Just, please, make sure it's some how on topic, also if you could do it without slanderous insults, that would be great.

If your going to cry to mommy, at least follow your own mommy crying rules.

The Rat.
edit on 28-8-2013 by TucoTheRat because: Exterminate!

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Heff, I always enjoy your posts, but here I have to disagree that this Snowden episode is part of a project to outlaw Free and Open Source Software...

Why I think this is because of the amount of web infastructure built on open Source software--like 70% of the web is on a LAMP stack so every server in the US would have to switch from Apache to IIS (Microsoft will love this).

Plus just about every CMS and their associated plugins

Add to that the core of Mac OS was OpenDarwin so Mac OS would be outlawed...

Android... all the apps...

They cant stop FOSS--even if they buy out every project, someone will fork it; LibreOffice from OpenOffice is one example.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   

You see you didn't even get that.

Einsteins qoute,

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Give it up ratboy.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

Given the backs and forths here, I might have either lost track of the plot or come across wrong... My worry is less with outright outlawing than with the passing of a law possibly outlawing aspects of FOSS, such as mandating a closed source kernel or adapting the kernel to seek to prevent individual manipulation of it.

This fear also plays into the reality that, as you've stated, Apple and Android have basically taken the Linux kernel into a corporate structure, along with Ubuntu itself ( something I think we'll be seeing more of as time passes ). This is good for Linux in ways, and bad... but fodder for another thread.

Presently my fear is that the same pressure put to bear upon Google, Microsoft, etc... from the Federal government to build in backdoors is already being applied to Linux. And Mr Torvalds is just one man... one man who is already known to be stretched very thin and increasingly dissatisfied with the state of aspects of his creation.

Linux is potentially facing a perfect storm of circumstances that could change the very basis of it and the dynamic of how it works, is distributed, and is interacted with.
edit on 8/28/13 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Also who cares anyway? I don't use Linux. Let them watch.

edit on 26-8-2013 by NeoParadigm because: (no reason given)

You ATS?, this site runs off Apache so I'd take a guess that its Linux as well.

Just because you dont see the technology you use doesnt mean you dont use it

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

I think we were talking about using Linux to safeguard your computer.

I'd appreciate it if you don't take my comments out of context.

I'd take a guess that its Linux as well.

Why don't you make a comment when you are sure about it?
edit on 28-8-2013 by NeoParadigm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

Great post Cartenz!

This is why I also doubt the OP's theory. But the scary thing is they might try, reasons being that the next generation is extremely software based, when you have 12 year old's choosing to go with Linux mint over windows 8 corporations have a big problem. The control, spy, data mining crap they are putting out is even putting off the elderly.

They might try a could based government or corporate licensing system, requiring you to have a valid licence to use FOSS if you want access to an ISP. In other words a back door to any FOSS software that connects to the net.

Just a though, and like I said I'm hoping for incompetence over a plan.

The Rat.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   

With Win 8 and the issues of UEFI the ability to render FOSS totally impotent is only one deal with the makers of the hardware away.

Theoretically hacks to such BIOS based preventatives would come along... but then we enter the realm where law could easily make rooting a computer a crime.

Getting rid of open source software is possible and I suspect that Uncle Sam may be eyeballing that prize currently.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join