It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking in public....should this be banned?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Study links smog increases to urban U.S. deaths

"CHICAGO (Reuters) - Increases in air pollution caused by cars, power plants and industry can be directly linked to higher death rates in U.S. cities, a study said Tuesday.

Reducing such ozone pollution by about 35 percent on any given day could save about 4,000 lives a year across the country, researchers at the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies said. "

cnn.netscape.cnn.com...

I'm sorry, but it still baffles me how a group of non-smokers, in a shop with air so toxic that it kills birds within 24 hours could be so concerned about second hand smoke. Why on earth bother to ban smoking in such a place. Isn't this like saying it's okay for us to kill you with our crap, but well, that tiny bit of crap you are producing has to go?? And, well, you can add this study to the ones about global climate change and the destruction it will (is) causing, as well as ones like the one that finds that our kid's lungs aren't developement normally. And, well, I'm sorry I don't see much difference, except for the scale and extent of the damage....so why is it perfectly appropriate for yous to shun the shs in such a heavily toxic environment to begin with, but not for me to ask you to park your car and walk!!

You's better stop trying to get the sliver out of my eye, that 2x4 is about to slam you against the head!

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I should stop smoking....but I love to smoke, it's like an activity for me ( I smoke like 5 smokes a day and appreciate every puffs of it!)

But when I go in bars and I drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want my cigarette!!!!!!!!!!! drink and smoke goes 2gether

Just in bars...can we at least smoke
social smokers will like that too...

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
OMG... Amelia!!!

Are we agreeing on something? We should be able to smoke outdoors too though. And I like to smoke after sex? Is that unhealthy? I mean sex is a workout isn't it?

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
and, as far as I'm concerned, the state set the standard when they banned smoking from the workplace, don't expect me to be working anywhere else that is deadly for birds!!! IF the toxins in any workplace is beleived by me to be worse than that shs, well, it's just too dangerous for me!!!

And, I will be checking with epa's iris website, osha, and other sources to find out.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
```

banned would be so anti-freedom

the present day pursuasions and social stigmas might be enhanced:
ie:-> smoking in public must be done wearing a thong !

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The British government just announced plans to impliment a comprehensive smoking ban. There is the link to the ATSNN story:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
The British government just announced plans to impliment a comprehensive smoking ban. There is the link to the ATSNN story:

I knew it was coming, thats why i started the thread..

Civil rights out of window?

[edit on 16-11-2004 by Bikereddie]

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Well i'm a smoker, have been for nearly 30 yrs as well, started before I was 10 nicking my dads rollies, now I smoke 30 to 40 a day.

my partner had a heart-attack earlier this and it nearly killed him, we both gave up smoking, as it did scare us both, sadly we both started again about 2 months ago (false of habit).

I can understand why non-smokers want to band smoking in public places like:

Pubs
Clubs
Restaurants
etc etc

So what happens when the people who do smoke, stop going to the pubs etc for a pint and ciggie? They'll stay home or go somewhere you can smoke, while the pubs etc go quiet, empty out, drop in trade, staff laid-off etc etc etc.

Then what?

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amelia
social smokers will like that too...

No such thing as a social smoker,it is a misnomer.I think the phrase you wanted was anti-social smoker.
Good luck with giving up though.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie

Originally posted by FredT

Civil rights out of window?

[edit on 16-11-2004 by Bikereddie]

Or civil rights starting to come into the window. this is about perspective. I have for years as a non-smoker suffered the folly of smokers, now MY civil rights are being addressed. But hey keep those windows open, let the smoke out baby.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackwidow666

So what happens when the people who do smoke, stop going to the pubs etc for a pint and ciggie? They'll stay home or go somewhere you can smoke, while the pubs etc go quiet, empty out, drop in trade, staff laid-off etc etc etc.

Then what?

So are you going to stop going to clubs, pubs and resturants because you will no longer be able to smoke?No I don't think anyone will say, "right I'm not going out tonight beacsue I can only smoke walking bewtween bars. " people will still go, and more non-smokers will start to go than is the situation now. Previous models have shown that more people go to bars and clubs, and more people spend more money when there in non somking countries, or cities. This will actually boots the trade, more jobs, more tax, more health.
It is a fallacy to say this will dent the jobs market or trade. If I am wrong, then come back in six years and I will be saying maybe,just maybe we need to find a better solution, but I doubt it as I feel this is the best for everyone.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
i think it should be banned the smokers are putting other peoples lifes at risk
but what i dont under stand is why people smoke? we know it kills you, so if you want to die just shoot yourself

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThEeNd
e know it kills you, so if you want to die just shoot yourself

I'm an ardent anti-smoker and I still feel your post is a little too harsh. I too do not agree with people even smoking in their own space as it is killing them. But I agree with their right to choice in their own homes or spaces. You must understand the fantastic power and wealth the Tobacco industries have. Not a single person on this planet wants to smoke. Sure some smokers may come on and say I like smoking so you are wrong, but they never made that decision on their own. Who ever sat down and said �Hey d'ynow what would be a great idea and a vast improvement on my life...smoking. I'll go out and buy a pack and start my smoking career tomorrow.�
People are ambushed into smoking, and then become smokers; they hate people trying to stop them doing something they cannot stop on their own. So don't be too harsh.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Several smaller cities around the Twin Cities in Minnesota have gone non-smoking. Now they are complaining that they are not making as much money as they once were and are pushing for the entire state of Minnesota to go non-smoking.

Hmm, go figure, you don't allow smoking anymore, the smokers are going to go somewhere else.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by crayon
Hmm, go figure, you don't allow smoking anymore, the smokers are going to go somewhere else.

Actulally most figures show that smokers carry on going to non smoking bars etc, and more non-smokers start going back to hese places too.
go figure.
Anyway the only argument I hear against banning smoking in public enclosed spaces is a monetary one...ohh how will we replace the taxes..whooooa what if people don't drink in bars anymore. Both arguments are invalid for one, but this is about anations health, what cost that?

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by crayon
Several smaller cities around the Twin Cities in Minnesota have gone non-smoking. Now they are complaining that they are not making as much money as they once were and are pushing for the entire state of Minnesota to go non-smoking.

It's like Communism, I guess: it only works if everyone does it.

Except in the case of Communism, it wouldn't work if everyone submitted to it, either.

But you gotta admire the chutzpah -- if not the wisdom -- of such an attitude.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Majic
I love you, truly I do. You are comparing people who are anti-smoking to communism. Well maybe the Red Army is the Blue Army now???

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I get headaches from smoke so I love that in most places people can't smoke -- but I do think that there should be places that are designated as smoking versus non-smoking venues so that people who do smoke have somewhere they can go without fear of people complaining. So if I want to go to a bar or a restaurant I can choose a non-smoking facility just like I can request a non-smoking room in a hotel (but I do think it should be a complete wing because I can still smell the smoke in the hallway and rooms)

jm

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Text GreenYou know tipically I think that most people don't understand thatthe truth of the matter is that nicotine is not only more addictive than crack coc aine, but it is also legal. Sure a lot of people are concerned about the health and/or the money involved, but the only problem I have with the proposed ban is that it infringes on the freedom of choice, the freedom to choose what one wants for ones self. I myself am a smoker but I am trying to quit, not because I don't like it but because at the presant time I can not afford it any more.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by justme1640
So if I want to go to a bar or a restaurant I can choose a non-smoking facility just like I can request a non-smoking room in a hotel (but I do think it should be a complete wing because I can still smell the smoke in the hallway and rooms)
jm

I understand this point and highlight this. In the English ban on smoking they will allow smoking sections in bars that have separate entrances to the main bar and only if that venue sells food they have cooked. So how many bars will we see that are not separated by walls and doors but by two poles and a cardboard sign saying " entrance to smoking section".!!
I hate the smell of smoke in hotels and bars that have no smoking sections, but I think it is unfair to ostracise smokers for the dead smoke smell they leave on non smoking sections of establishments at the moment. My main concern is passive smoking and the lingering disgusting smell form smoke in public places. Yes a complete ban will be great and here in England we will have a near complete ban by 2008. But in Liverpool where I live we made history by becoming the first independent city to pass a total ban in public smoking in enclosed spaces. This means while the government ban is great news for the country as a whole, it is a step down for the progressive thinking Liverpool council. /6oqjr
But I truly believe time will prove that before I die the whole western world will be shocked to look back upon itself and see how much we smoked, where we were allowed to smoke and that people protested against a ban at its birth.
For my children I applaud and thank John Reid Tony Blair, even though it does not go as far as I would like it is a million miles further than what I expected.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join