It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Citizen download size

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Hi all,
How big will the download size for Cloud Imperium Game's Star Citizen when it's released?Cause i've read the cutscenes won't be pre-rendered.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Conspiracyskeptic

I don't think that will negatively impact the download size since Star Citizen uses the Cry 3 engine, which can run an amazing amount of polygons in real time. Basically you don't need to pre-render anything because you just use the same models/textures,etc as you do in game and just run scripts to control the cameras, dialog, animations, etc. Cry 3 can do all of that and make it look good to boot.

So in short: The same assets used in the game are used in the cut scenes, thus eliminating the need for pre-rendered cutscenes. If anything that should positively impact data compression (at least as far as cut scenes are concerned), but I would imagine star citizen will still be a very large game given the amount of money Roberts has managed to raise and the scope of his vision.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I had no heard of this.

One thing comes to mind.... TAKE MY MONEY!!!

I am getting involved in this if for nothing else than the guy says he's making it for PC simply because he's mad at the state of current game makers. Consoles..

Though I do find it ironic that he's using a controller to play..

Still, I've seen so many potential ideas that I'd hoped would embrace a universe style game that allowed players to interact at a personal level, and not just play along or build pre-fabricated structures. None have done what they said they'd do.

So time will tell.. but damn, what an interesting idea. God damn it it means I'll have to upgrade properly one day I bet...

new topics

join