It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Black Sabbath / Ozzy Osbourne Thread

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
With things going like they are in the world, and a Presidential speech in about half an hour, this song is so fitting for today and the last few weeks.

War Pigs

Generals gathered in their masses
Just like witches at black masses
Evil minds that plot destruction
Sorcerers of death's construction
In the fields the bodies burning
As the war machine keeps turning
Death and hatred to mankind
Poisoning their brainwashed minds...

Oh Lord yeah!

Politicians hide themselves away
They only started the war
Why should they go out to fight?
They leave that role to the poor, yeah

Time will tell on their power minds
Making war just for fun
Treating people just like pawns in chess
Wait 'till their Judgment day comes, yeah!

Now in darkness, world stops turning
Ashes where the bodies burning
No more war pigs of the power
Hand of God has struck the hour
Day of Judgment, God is calling
On their knees the war pigs crawling
Begging mercy for their sins
Satan, laughing, spreads his wings

Oh Lord yeah!

edit on 31-8-2013 by Darkblade71 because: Added lyrics

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Me too Ozzy, Me too.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
A lot of Ozzy's music was/is highly political and anti-war, besides war pigs, here is another one that I can so totally relate to, Killer of Giants:

edit on 8-9-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The first time I saw Sabbath, Gillan was the singer. Cool show with the Stonehenge stage. For me, the best Sabbath is the Heaven and Hell lineup with Dio. Not a huge fan of Ozzy's voice and I'm a pretty big Dio fan. Here's one not mentioned yet from Ozzy that I do really dig. Killer groove and riff.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

OP you must be in your fifties.

Cause I sure the hell am and I seen sabbath w/ O four times. As hard as that is to admit. Anahiem stadium twice Long Beach arena twice. Everytime was a megablast !

Good thread amigo !

edit on 8-9-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSpanishArcher

I love your avatar

Dio will be missed!

I remember when Perry Mason came out, at first I thought it was weird Ozzy was doing a tune about him.

It did grow on me though after listening a couple of times.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

40's, but grew up listening to it from a very young age

As a teenager I had every Black Sabbath Album/tape I could get my hands on.
Collectors cover tapes,records,8 Tracks.
Then someone stole my tape case that had over 40 Sabbath tapes in it.
I kind of gave up after that..

I'm jealous, as Ozzy/Sabbath has been my one dream concert to go see,
and never have been able to.
Ozzy cancelled the one concert that was going to be playing in my town,
and since I have not had a chance to go anywhere else he has been playing.

Been to lots of other concerts, but never Ozzy.
I lost half my hearing in one ear at a Metallica concert...
But that is another story..

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

The loudest concert by far I ever attended was KISS in 1975 Anahiem stadium.
They didn't sing Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds but by the time I left I sure
thgought they did.Loudest G-D thing I ever heard in my life stud. I left with a
massive headache. Hell I even got to see ZEP in 77 at The Forum. Their last tour.

Let me tell you something. Those days absolutely

ROCKED.

Thanks for the memories kid.

edit on 8-9-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I've never seen AC/DC nor Pink Floyd. I've also never really seen Spock's Beard - Whom I love when I was actually there, just paying more attention to the bar. Took me four years to finally buy the first album, for some reason and was more than mildly surprised with. I also have no recollection of a Deep Purple gig and the ensuing personal fiasco.

Things happen.

I would have seen AC/DC in '86 as Queensryche were the opening act, whom I was into at the time(now there are two of them, ugh, are they gonna keep on forever, spawning?)
but did get to see Judas Priest/Krokus. I was vacationing in the midwest at my grandparents house when the show happened back home. So I did the next best thing, in my mind. Funny how back then I was too snobbish to like AC/DC but I realize the error of that way. How many radio songs do they have when you think about it? Loads.

Not enough time and money too see all the shows But there are some, like the Gillan Sabbath show, he later wrote a song about the flight from that show to Salt Lake City when he met "MItzi Dupree". I was a part of that in a really insignificant way and that's kinda cool.I'm also in the crowd getting beat up in a couple of songs from Purple's Nobody's Perfect. Jon Lord played Let It Be before the Fur Elise bit that's on the record and was wearing a white tux. Cool dude.

Here's another funny one, in '02 I moved two weeks or so before Rush played to a place they played two weeks or so before.

Back on track. Sabbath w/ Gillan, '82. Ozzy/ Metallica '86. Metallica, and I knew what I was in for as I had liked the first two albums but they were something I was not prepared for. Onslaught. Just blew me away. Cliff Died that September, I believe, two months after that. There were never the same but did do one legendary album with ...aJFA. They so totally pwned Ozzy and everyone at the Monsters of Rock in '88. The one I saw was a near riot when they played and the turned the power off twice on the band. Cool memories.

Ozzy/ Sepultura whenever the Retirement Sucks tour happened(spur of the moment, I bought the tickets at a bar through a friend of a friend.) and Sabbath/ Pantera somewhere in the late '90s and my friend's wife was a stripper and brought a couple hot babes. They had no interest in me but it was a cool party in the limo nonetheless.

There was also the Metallica show in whatever year last decade with Candlebox, Suicidal Tendencies and Fight. Spur of the moment didn't work so well as the unknown guy who gave me a ride left me thirty miles or so from home. I had to beg around and found some guys who made me drink some JD that had been broiled that day in the back of their truck from the mid summer desert sun. I was broke and couldn't even take the bus home, the $25 for the show was all I had. But the show was cool, except I've waned on Metallica a lot since the cruddy Black Album. I had seen Candlebox before and wasn't too impressed and they killed that night.

Saw Steve Morse and Gary Moore open for Rush on two tours in the '80's, knew nothing of them and the slayed me. Huge fan of both since. Saw a local guy, bass player, then open up for Steve Morse a few years later. Never heard of the dude again until a few months ago I see this killer bass player doing the street performer thing, jamming away.Never knew until then he was a local dude(assumed but never knew and never bothered to look him up on the web. Turns out the dude played with Larry Carlton at one time.

Across the way from him were two guys with electric cellos jamming Carry On Wayward Son. My journey through life has been a lame musical(not the music, but me) but I've seen some cool gigs and got most of the ticket stubs to prove it. I'm anal and held onto as many as I could but some escaped over the years.

I tried to make music way back when, that turned out not so well also. I was trying to make prog rock and didn't even know the term, if it existed then. I just knew Rush, Deep Purple, Dio, they were my gods. They affected me deeply as a young 'un and I wanted to try and do the same. I soon found out I'm not Neal Peart, I can't play like him nor write lyrics anywhere nears his lowest drivel, and it seems I never found someone to be that voice to write non-crappy lyrics. I probably would have failed as a musician as I suck, I just sponge crap off all the cool drummers I listen to and fake what I can. The studio would have killed me, I'd bet.

He has written a few books and this post is rather verbose, so there's that tiny bit in common.

Then there was the time that the band played on a flatbead with the VLA right behind them, or the guy who came out in a chicken suit, or the guys shooting bottle rockets out the back of my truck in the parking lot after a show, or time I kicked hack with a beer, my feet up on the stage with Steve Morse ten feet away jamming or.........

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSpanishArcher

WoW!

That was an awesome post!

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Thanks for the memories kid.

Your welcome old man!

Yeah, I ended up growing up in the 80's hairband era.
Went to Motley Crue, Van Halen, David Lee Roth, Cinerella, Ratt, Poison,Metallica, concerts.
When I got older it was The Moody Blues & ZZ Top (last concert I ever went to)

Missed out on all of the really good concerts,
but it was all just one big party anyways!
Most were a blur, accept for David Lee Roth, which I got thrown out of twice....

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Missed out on all of the really good concerts,
but it was all just one big party anyways!
Most were a blur, accept for David Lee Roth, which I got thrown out of twice..

You maniac. Even I never got tossed from a concert. But if ever? I suppose that would be the one.
Can't stand that guy.

You ROCK.

edit on 9-9-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Yeah, that's probably why I didn't care much, was just there for the fun of it..lol

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Yeah, that's probably why I didn't care much, was just there for the fun of it..lol

That's what I thought. The fun and the girlys of course.

Sweet leaf was actually band from radio play thru most of the seventies.
That still makes one of my favorites.
edit on 9-9-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Yeah, the chicks in the 80's were something else

Funny, Black Sabbath and Ozzy were banned from the radio in the city I grew up in.
I used to call and request a lot just because I thought it was funny that they wouldn't play neither.
None of the songs.

I also thought it was funny that Ozzy was banned from Texas for several years for Pee'ing on the Alamo.
When I was in Texas I kept threatening to do that myself just because Ozzy did it.
No one thought it was funny but me....

I would of never of done it of course, but it was a fun threat to throw around and see the reactions of Texans. I was a yankie anyways to them har har har....

In February of 1982, Ozzy was arrested in downtown San Antonio after urinating on a piece of the historical landmark The Alamo, in a green dress no less.

An effort to keep Ozzy from getting too drunk before his show in the afternoon resulted in Sharon Osbourne hiding Ozzy's clothes to keep him from leaving their hotel. The determination of the rocker was such that he donned a dress and high heels belonging to Sharon in order to make his public presence legal.

A decade later, and after a charitable donation to the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, Osbourne's ban was lifted and he returned to San Antonio for his 1992 Farewell Tour.

Ozzy Banned from San Antonio

When I was in Texas, he was on every radio station I listened to. After the ban was lifted, people were Ozzy hungry and suffered from Black Sabbath deprivation....lol

edit on 9-9-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

When I was traveling around the lower 48 after I graduated HS, I got to go the the kickoff concert of the Black Sabbath Reunion tour in Pheonix on New Years 98/99. It was a great show there were several bands playing that night, Megadeath, Pantera, 2 others I can't remember now and of course Black Sabbath. The one thing that stands out the most, I still have never been able to forget the image, was when Ozzy decided to moon the crowd. They had half a dozen of the biggest screens that I have ever seen, and his ass was plastered across every one of them, super close up. It was not a pretty sight.
He was at least 25 years past the time that could have been attractive.

He has made some incredible music over the years, and it really was one of the best concerts I have ever been to. Thanks for reminding me of that night, I think!

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Double post, sorry, please delete.
edit on 9-9-2013 by woodsmom because: Dbl post

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by woodsmom

Well then this link with reviews should bring back some memories for you too....lol

and dropping his pants to moon the crowd

black-sabbath-1999...

I can't quote the entire review because of T&C, but I want to!

And that double post got you two stars from me for an awesome memory of a Black Sabbath concert

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

That's awesome! Thank you!
It was a crazy night. Pantera played right before Black Sabbath and there were bonfires and craziness going on in the pit. I remember Phil coming out and waring the crowd to put the fires out or Ozzy wasn't coming onstage. It took awhile but they actually put them out. It was chaos before that.
It has always been a hazy memory anyway, thanks for helping me clear it up a bit!

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Darkblade71
reply to post by woodsmom

Well then this link with reviews should bring back some memories for you too....lol

and dropping his pants to moon the crowd

black-sabbath-1999...

I can't quote the entire review because of T&C, but I want to!

And that double post got you two stars from me for an awesome memory of a Black Sabbath concert

I fixed the link Here:

www.black-sabbath.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join