It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why isn't the bible considered a historical fairy story?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by danielsil18
reply to post by LABTECH767

Sweden and Denmark are countries with some of the best standard of living and guess what? The mayority of the population is atheist in those countries.

Both Sweden and Denmark were markedly changed in the reformation as was most of Europe. One may even suggest it was the reformation that set them up as the countrys they now are

Dont know history I guess, worth educating yourself I recommend.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by instigatah
reply to post by biggm

how many innocents do you let die because of your lack of willingness to save them by sending all your disposable income to keep them from starving to death? (who knows maybe you do but i doubt it, statistics are not in your favor)

the fact is you dont want to know any different than you already believe. Youre rehashing the ancient 'problem of innocent suffering' thing is just evidence that you really dont have anything solid to base your lack of belief in. You might as well have said 'i dont believe in god because he never popped his head in my door and said peekaboo'. You want god to answer to you on YOUR level and according to YOUR so called reason.....well sorry bub....thats just utterly self centered and ignorant of you.

a much more evolved and honest approach would be that of a person who does believe in god but rejects him anyway based on a disagreement in the way god conducts his business.....i like a quote from 'Fight Club' in this vein of thought:

"Listen to me! You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen."

Believing in God is no great thing...it doesnt win you any points..doesnt make life any easier....as this verse of THE BIBLE says quite plainly:

You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder. James 2:19

So all you guys making such a big deal out of whether or not to believe in God....hahah....well youre in really sorry shape cuz even if you get over the hurdle of belief that still doesnt make you ANY better off than the common demon.

hows that for irony

edit on 25-8-2013 by instigatah because: other thoughts

How very sad, you claim to worship a kind and just God and when he lets millions of innocents die you blame me, and say I am no better than a demon, words fail me. you have just answered the questions about religion that many on here ask better than I could ever could, thank you for reinforcing what we already new.
edit on 25-8-2013 by biggm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by danielsil18

So yes there are contradictions, 2,000 years later we are not evolved or anything. Though we are greatly happy for the breakthroughs if not getting carried away by them.

The thing I don't get it how people can not be aware of simple things. Denial, I have had a person in denial say that I was in denial, a double sided sword, but the best thing is never argue and ask questions.

Moses did what we would consider miracles. Moses said that the magicians of the day were able to duplicate the miracles, not by props and sleight of hand but by evil. Hold on! First of all the magicians before the time of Moses had no idea about the Lord, so if they were duplicating miracles then obviously that was the power of God. But rarely do you see people admit that Moses and his counterparts did real magic, Moses by the power of the Lord and the others by spells and gods. What that tells us in modern day is that it was the time and happenings of the day, so that brings us to the whole idea.

Some people are suckers for Jesus. Jesus gave ultimate respect for the Lord, Moses, and the prophets, not himself, so why is everybody only praising Jesus? I love Jesus, but I love Moses, both were set aside for a purpose and the bible is a way to include those accounts of past history. The only thing I have in common with those suckers is that I understand Jesus was set aside to bless the new world.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

It wont ever be considered that, USA is a "christian nation". Why the hell would they say something counter-productive to their agenda?

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Wow, more belief bashing. If you dont believe the Bible.......thats your choice. Why critisize people who believe something you dont? Why not create threads related to something you DO believe in, let us all take the p*ss out of you!!

Bible bashers on ATS lately make out that it is the cause of intolerance in humans and creates wars. Yet here we are again having people slamming others beliefs. What does it matter to you. If it's such a stupid book, why bother wasting so much time talking about it. Intollerant people are the problem with this planet. Just get on with your life and leave others to get on with theirs without such hostility. pfthhh.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
This thread needs to be closed. There are literally hundreds on ATS now based on if the Bible is a fairy tale or not.

Change the story.....GET A LIFE.

MODS: can we close this as this has been discussed hundreds of times already.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by greavsie1971
Wow, more belief bashing. If you dont believe the Bible.......thats your choice. Why critisize people who believe something you dont? Why not create threads related to something you DO believe in, let us all take the p*ss out of you!!

Bible bashers on ATS lately make out that it is the cause of intolerance in humans and creates wars. Yet here we are again having people slamming others beliefs. What does it matter to you. If it's such a stupid book, why bother wasting so much time talking about it. Intollerant people are the problem with this planet. Just get on with your life and leave others to get on with theirs without such hostility. pfthhh.

When it is used to justify denying certain groups certain rights or to spout hate or promote division then its worthy or critisism.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I shake my head at the humans who think they've ascended beyond human-mythology that has been the lifeblood of our culture for thousands of years. Who now think mythology is as irrelevant to them as Jack and Beanstalk or an episode of Supernatural.

Their little attacks, linking bible w/santa clause etc, are cute but shallow. If they really want to tear down religion then they first have to understand in the first place why it became so massive, which judging by these comments they really don't because it partly involves, gasp, empathising with the religious humans.

Judging it abstractly is completely pointless as religious experience is and always has been a practise of experience.

If they keep sneering off (and avoiding) the "experience" side of things, which is where the importance and staying-power of religion truly lies, atheism is going nowhere deep.

The "typical" atheist acts as an ultimately unsatisfying, even mentally oppressive, deterrent to "religion."

I'm sure there are some clever atheists who are taking the needed next step, but those types seem to be rare, possibly because taking this step involves actual personal introspection, and maybe even self-exploration, not just abstract processing they've been taught in schools.

edit on 25-8-2013 by LoveFurther because: spelling correction

edit on 25-8-2013 by LoveFurther because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Where is Christopher Hitchens when you need him...

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by danielsil18

Originally posted by Knives4eyes

The real reason why the bible isn't just simply discredited as an epic fairy tale is because it has so much historiological evidence.

I was a bit shocked when I actually read up on this.

What historiological evidence?

Please give me an example.
edit on 24-8-2013 by danielsil18 because: (no reason given)

Jericho existing, Jerusalem existing, the Philistines existing, Canaanites existing, the Jebusites existing, the battles. The Temple in Jerusalem existing. Mt. Sinai and the foundation of the first tabernacle being found with the remains of goats, bulls and sheep remains from the sacrifices, altar of the golden calf. The existence of the Belshazzar in the book of Daniel found inscribed in ruins in Babylon, Pontius Pilate proved being the Prefect of Judea during the time of Christ's ministry. Biblical archeologists have come a long way providing evidence. The state of Israel knows all about these things, they don't push the issue because they want to keep their shopping malls, restaurants and bus stations free of explosions. That's why they don't push the issue over Mt. Sinai/Jubal Al'Lawz with Saudi Arabia. The Exodus mentioned on the Stele of Ahmose and the Ipuwer Papyrus, the ancient Egyptians point of view of the 10 plagues.

The bible is a hodgepodge mix of euphemism, metaphor, allegory, simile, homily and literal history mixed together.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by instigatah

So all you guys making such a big deal out of whether or not to believe in God....hahah....well youre in really sorry shape cuz even if you get over the hurdle of belief that still doesnt make you ANY better off than the common demon.

hows that for irony

Now finish the scripture instead of yanking out of it what you want and discarding the rest.

James 2:19-20

19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?

Demons can't do good works, but a person justified and sanctified in Christ can and should. Works are the proof of a believer's sanctification by the Holy Spirit. It's a lifestyle we can maintain when others would burn out.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
A friend of mine used to run a book shop. He took great delight when customers came in and asked -
"Where do you keep the bibles?"

He'd reply with-
"Over there, with the rest of the fiction"

One day his boss delivered a box of childrens bibles for him to place on the shelves, my friend spent the rest of the week shredding them and flushing them down the toilet. He said there was no way he was going to be involved with brainwashing children.

But he has no problem putting children in front of the television to watch Kanye West, Lady Gaga and all the other "role models" for hours on end, right? I think people need to get their priorities straight on what they consider to be good and bad influences on children.
edit on 25-8-2013 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
A friend of mine used to run a book shop. He took great delight when customers came in and asked -
"Where do you keep the bibles?"

He'd reply with-
"Over there, with the rest of the fiction"

One day his boss delivered a box of childrens bibles for him to place on the shelves, my friend spent the rest of the week shredding them and flushing them down the toilet. He said there was no way he was going to be involved with brainwashing children.

Your friend is an idiot at worst and a vandal at best, he has no right to make up other people's minds.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

By the standards that scientific historians judge ancient documents, the Bible is the most authenticated document from that time or earlier that we have.

reply to post by charles1952

wrong. and as a matter of fact that premise is HIGHLY flawed and dishonest.

the natural disasters have been 'authenticated' maybe. but not the hullabulloo. .\

hey, there was an earthquake a billion years ago, and sauron popped out with his minions to destroy middle earth.

its true, because scientists have proved an earthquake happened.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

How is providing proof that places existed in any way prove that the fantasies and myths (which are much older) are remotely true?

it isn't is it. Heck, I went to Graceland in Memphis, does that mean Elvis's ghost was playing chess with me? I included a real place and structure! yep its true, all of it, the fact I mentioned a real place!

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
It's always been a thorn in my side...especially when "experts" like to call Hinduism "mythology" when it is still a widely practiced religion.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by HanzHenry
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

How is providing proof that places existed in any way prove that the fantasies and myths (which are much older) are remotely true?

it isn't is it. Heck, I went to Graceland in Memphis, does that mean Elvis's ghost was playing chess with me? I included a real place and structure! yep its true, all of it, the fact I mentioned a real place!

For one thing, it validates the historical accuracy of the religious text. Your sarcasm is noted, and dismissed. You have no reason to believe those people were lying. The scriptures are incredibly candid, right down to admitting the Israelites engaged in paganism and apostasy and worshipping idols. There is no conspiracy to hide the truth in the bible, they tell you exactly what they saw, recording events they thought were of great importance. Even the tombs of some of Christ's apostles have been found, one proving the Vatican is lying about Simon Peter being buried in Rome and the first Pope, when his tomb was discovered in an ancient cemetery in 1966-67 outside Bethany, where Lazarus the friend of Christ had lived.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
@ OP

I suppose you also think that humans can't actually break stones with their open palms or foreheads. Probably think that the Placebo Effect only applies to symptoms of diseases. Probably think that people having premonitions of a loved one getting hurt is a big con. Probably think that the miraculous displays of strength in emergency situations is just the result of adrenalin and ignores the broken bones and torn muscles bodybuilders suffer all the time with 1/10th the weight. Probably think every last bit of photographical evidence provided for anything not taught in a highschool science book is Photoshopped.

Probably also think there's a perfectly reasonable explanation that feathers date back to the Cretacious period, exactly as they appear now, but no further, with no solid fossil evidence of prior evolution. Probably think the Cambrian Explosion is a perfectly normal example of the randomness of evolution. Probably think that something evolving a radical change in its biology, requiring multiple simultaneous gene mutations, simply because "it's a good idea" is a perfecly rational approach to genetics and evolution. "How did a bull develop its horns?" "Because it was a good idea, and DNA is really smart like Einstein!!!"

AND you probably think that a simple cell can easily form, despite the simplest thing we know of that can self replicate is a bacterium with 600,000 DNA pairs, along with complex amino acids forming long chains for proteins, along with fatty acids, and then somehow going from being a collection of chemicals to springing to life as a now living cell. We should call it Frankencell, since it could not have had any internal part function in any way until it was fully formed without bleeding itself out, and then somehow become fully active. Not to mention the fact that all these chemicals had to come together in such a way that the movement that brought the chemicals together didn't tear the cell apart as it formed. That whole action / reaction thing in physics.

There's a reason that so many doctors and medical research scientists are religious. Mostly it's because they're smarter than every last half educated athiest who doesn't actually understand biochemistry.

Oh, and by the way, that whole logical argument athiests use against the existance of God (if God is good and evil exists...) is credited to Epicurus, who actually DID believe in Gods, just not that they gave a damn about humanity. Misquoting a philosopher who believed in Gods who was making a point about ridiculous extremes to try to disprove the existance of God destroys any and all credibility of every last athiest who has quoted it.
en.wikipedia.org...

I'm going to stop coming to this site now. I get more stimulating conversations with the damn squirrels.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
What makes you think we lowly modern Homo Sapiens are capable of understanding the true reality of our existence.

The only thing we understand NOW is input from our 5 senses and according to some that's all they trust.

We are barely out of the trees mentally, and 100 years out from heating our house with log fires, but still much of what came before is a fairy tale. We have gotten so smart in 100 or so years with plenty of technology, but we dont even know how to use it properly.

Most of modern Society has lost its understanding of who and what the Human race really is and we have lost our way and our connection to truth and freedom.

Now most Humans only want money and power and to what end ?

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Do you see anyone claiming fairytales are true ?

Simple answers for simple minds.
edit on 25-8-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join