It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Critique of "Living in the Moment"

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by NiNjABackflip

No one can live in the moment and no one can live outside the moment.
There is no one.
There is only ever what is happening.
This is aliveness.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

I'm a human being, born from another human being, within an biological evolutionary existence.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthling42

I'm a human being, born from another human being, within an biological evolutionary existence.

Living with this belief is not pleasant.
Feeling as though you are a thing among other things - that you have a beginning and an end - is why life is full of fear.
When you discover what you really are the fear drops away.
edit on 8-9-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by BDBinc

I did not in my post say you were not aware.
I said you were not aware of the moment/present when you are imagining the past or future.

When you say I'm not aware of the present moment, you are saying I am unaware. When I get knocked out, I am unaware of the present moment. When I am awake, I am aware of the present moment.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

No one can live in the moment and no one can live outside the moment.
There is no one.
There is only ever what is happening.
This is aliveness.

This coming from someone. If you are no one, why are you acting like someone?

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Living with this belief is not pleasant.

This is not a believe but an actual fact.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen23

and it made me 'think' about Realization, being realized is very different from just Thought and thinking.
to be Realized means to Bring into concrete existence as one meaning.
Also means to conceive vividly as real : be fully aware of

our Perception creates our reality can be understood by our Awareness?
Thoughts unfortunately get in the way of actually seeing how Awareness is meant by Living in the Now followers
Honing the ability to think is great, critical thinking well worth All our Efforts to improve, I concur.
But many go day to day, unaware, robotic in habit,, and yes,, deep in their thoughts, thinking. But that does not make them aware. Far from it, it goes further to prove that most people are floating on their self created boats of thoughts, and are NOT aware of Life in it's fullness, and as seen behind the cacophony and clatter of thought.

so, if we are going to talk about how Living in the Moment really works,
definitions are in order, and should be agreed upon.

Enjoying everyones thoughts ,, great thread of great thinkers who I think for the most part are Aware persons. !!

Maybe they are deep in some sort of thought, but I would argue that it is that particular thought, and not thoughts in general, that have somehow made their life worse off. I think this can be addressed not by refusing to get lost in thought, but by learning how to think properly, whatever that may be. I'm not sure focusing on the present moment is the key to addressing this issue.

Let's suppose "having knowledge or perception of a situation or fact" (Oxford English Dictionary) is a prerequisite of being aware. We must not only see what's going on, but understand it. I mean I am a hardcore sensualist, and believe all knowledge comes from the senses (of which I believe thinking is one), so this thinking about the present, or what I am currently sensing is very important to me; it's how I learn. But in order to make sense of what I am sensing, I must think about it, choose what to remember and what to forget, contemplate probabilities, and actively wonder about myself and everything else.

I agree; people think about things that may or may not happen, and in doing so may bring about irrational stress and worry. People think that they are their job title, their religion, their labels, or what someone once called them. This is because people are irrational, not because they think. It is my hope that one can better "live in the present moment", not by avoiding deep thought, but by being rational.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

It's use is in stopping thought. It creates a loop, which keeps the mind going in the same circle, not turning off on "what could be", "what has been", or "why" or "how".
My first experience with a round-about in Europe was something like this.

It just another thought - stopping technique. It is useful to those who find their thoughts a source of discomfort.
It is absolutely useless to those who enjoy thinking!

I think a round-about is a great analogy. One can enter and leave when she wishes, but then again she may continue to go around as much as she wants. One cannot do that in a stop and go intersection. Maybe we should treat thoughts like intersections, and approach them as we would a round-about.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by NiNjABackflip
reply to post by BDBinc

I did not in my post say you were not aware.
I said you were not aware of the moment/present when you are imagining the past or future.

When you say I'm not aware of the present moment, you are saying I am unaware. When I get knocked out, I am unaware of the present moment. When I am awake, I am aware of the present moment.

No don't keep changing what I said I did not say you were unaware.
You are awareness.
You do not know if when you are knocked out that you are unaware of the present moment as you can't recall, like sleep, you can't recall to talk with any certainty about your state while sleeping/knocked out.

Yes when you are truly awake you are aware of the present moment.
But note that you cannot tell when you are dreaming that you are asleep, thinking you are awake is not the same as being awake.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Saying that a human being is a thing is quite a misconception

A book or a cup is a thing, one can know a book or cup and describe it, because it is static.
But a human being is not a thing, a human being is a living being, alive.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BDBinc

No don't keep changing what I said I did not say you were unaware.
You are awareness.

You saying I am unaware of the present moment is the same as saying I am unaware. I am replying by saying that no one can be unaware of the present moment when they are aware, by the simple fact that they exist in the present moment.

I am not changing what you said, only trying to make sense of it because it sounds unnecessarily convoluted.

No, I am not awareness.

Exactly. And you are saying those who think about the past or future are not aware of the present moment, even when they are awake?

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by NiNjABackflip

No it is you saying that you unaware of the present moment is the same as saying that you are unaware.
Its like saying that if I say you are unaware of the elephant in the room you then tell me I am calling you unaware.I would say you were just unaware of the elephant in the room.
And you are saying that no one can be unaware of the present moment when they are (in a mental state )thinking of the past or future.
The focus of awareness is on thoughts not reality and not NOW, you are not conscious of the present moment when you are thinking.

I am saying that those who are absorbed in, and always thinking about, the past or future are not aware of the present moment, how can they be.
If I ask you to still the mind and you instead think about your mother how can you tell me the mind is still at the same time it is thinking of your mother.
Yes most THINK they are awake (and THINK that they are not in a mental state dreaming/imagining and projecting).Like when you are asleep and do not know till you wake up that you were dreaming.
Those who are asleep thinking about the past or future are not aware of the present moment (even when they THINK are awake).

Itsnowagain puts it simply and clearly and I recommend, if I am not clear,you should ask Itsnowagain about NOW.
Text Green
Text

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by BDBinc

No it is you saying that you unaware of the present moment is the same as saying that you are unaware.
Its like saying that if I say you are unaware of the elephant in the room you then tell me I am calling you unaware.I would say you were just unaware of the elephant in the room.

And you can say the same about the present moment? That I am somehow unaware of it as if it was something that I simply do not see? I can simply walk past it somehow? Step over it?

And you are saying that no one can be unaware of the present moment when they are (in a mental state )thinking of the past or future.

And how is thinking of the past or future not a part of the present moment?

The focus of awareness is on thoughts not reality and not NOW, you are not conscious of the present moment when you are thinking.

And how are thoughts not something that happen in the "NOW"?

I am saying that those who are absorbed in, and always thinking about, the past or future are not aware of the present moment, how can they be.
If I ask you to still the mind and you instead think about your mother how can you tell me the mind is still at the same time it is thinking of your mother.
Yes most THINK they are awake (and THINK that they are not in a mental state dreaming/imagining and projecting).Like when you are asleep and do not know till you wake up that you were dreaming.
Those who are asleep thinking about the past or future are not aware of the present moment (even when they THINK are awake).

By the act of thinking, by existing, by dreaming, by walking, by doing anything, they are aware of the present moment, by default, simply because they are focused on something in the present moment. Even when one thinks of being the Wizard of Oz, that thinking and those thoughts occur presently, in the present moment, and we are aware of them.

Itsnowagain puts it simply and clearly and I recommend, if I am not clear,you should ask Itsnowagain about NOW.

I know. And I disagree.

For someone so adamant about this philosophy, you seem to be unaware of many things about it.
edit on 9-9-2013 by NiNjABackflip because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Textreply to post by NiNjABackflip

it is clear to me you have not understood .

How are thoughts of the past or future part of the present moment?
The past and the future is contained within the NOW.
How is the false part of reality.

The elephant analogy was to explain that I did not say you were not awareness.
But that you are not unawareness.

By the" act"(thought) of thinking, by existing, by dreaming, by walking, by thinking are they are "doing" anything, they think that they are thinking, by existing, by dreaming, by walking? If you just think you are on the moon does that mean you are on the moon?
Yes even when one thinks of being the Wizard of Oz, that thinking and those thoughts occur presently, in the present moment, and we are aware of the THOUGHTS in the present moment.

I am sorry I lack clarity, but the one who does not lack clarity you disagreed with without giving a reason.
Text Purple
You are disagreeable!?

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I think it is quite clear that thoughts are the past and they are recollected in the presence.

What does it mean to be awake? it means to be still and attentive at this very moment.
This happens to us when we see a beautifull sunset or something else which knocks the 'me' away in that moment of perception, thoughts do not interfere with that moment, the sunset or what it is we see or are in contact with has our complete attention.
But being attentive is not focus, it is not aimed at one point and therefore excluding the rest, it is being attentive to what is.

The peculiar is, after that moment thought arises and says, how beautifull it was, i must see, have it, feel it, want it again.
The original moment of perception has become an image in our mind stored as memory which we recollect, and it is made more beautifull than the actual moment of perception.
We think the thoughts today, but they are rooted in the past, therefore they are not actual anymore but an image in our mind.

Thoughts give us direction, everything we are taught and what we believe to be true leads us in life, it is only when the mind becomes silence, we are awake to what is.

We cannot be anywhere else but in the present, but the mind often wanders in time, and therefore we are not completely attentive.
If one is in a discussion, and he thinks about something else, he is not attentive anymore and one will miss what is being said.

My 2 cents on this.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by BDBinc

it is clear to me you have not understood .

The past and the future is contained within the NOW.
How is the false part of reality.

The elephant analogy was to explain that I did not say you were not awareness.
But that you are not unawareness.

By the" act"(thought) of thinking, by existing, by dreaming, by walking, by thinking are they are "doing" anything, they think that they are thinking, by existing, by dreaming, by walking? If you just think you are on the moon does that mean you are on the moon?
Yes even when one thinks of being the Wizard of Oz, that thinking and those thoughts occur presently, in the present moment, and we are aware of the THOUGHTS in the present moment.

I am sorry I lack clarity, but the one who does not lack clarity you disagreed with without giving a reason.
Text Purple
You are disagreeable!?

Well, in all fairness, I have difficulties traversing your grammar. No offence.

Thoughts occur in the present, even thoughts about the past and future. This cannot be refuted.

If you just think you are on the moon does that mean you are on the moon?

No, but I never implied that either. If I am thinking about the moon, thinking about anything, I have not left the present.

Text Purple
You are disagreeable!?

I didn't give you a reason. But then again I don't need your blessing to disagree with someone.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by earthling42

Thoughts give us direction, everything we are taught and what we believe to be true leads us in life, it is only when the mind becomes silence, we are awake to what is.

We cannot be anywhere else but in the present, but the mind often wanders in time, and therefore we are not completely attentive.
If one is in a discussion, and he thinks about something else, he is not attentive anymore and one will miss what is being said.

I like your description better. Attentiveness and focus have nothing to do with metaphysical assertions about the present moment, one's state of being, one's awareness or one's spirituality. Simple prioritization of thoughts and focus might suffice.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

earthling42

Saying that a human being is a thing is quite a misconception

A book or a cup is a thing, one can know a book or cup and describe it, because it is static.
But a human being is not a thing, a human being is a living being, alive.

I know that I am not a thing.
Things have beginnings and endings - they are transitory.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Present and aware is what you are - nothing more and nothing less.
That which arises in awareness is constantly changing.

Thought changes constantly, sensation changes constantly, all things are changing constantly in the ever present awareness that you are.

Ever present awareness is just seeing and hearing and has no control over what is arising - it all arises unconditionally.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Text Bluereply to post by NiNjABackflip

No offence taken and no you don't have to give a reason to criticize.

Imagining/thinking about a past or future (state of mind) is not being in the NOW.
Desire and imagination reinforce each other.
If the mind is restless how can it be still.
You are like a leaf that thinks he controls the river he is floating in.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join