It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seismic Server ALL BLACK!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

Can someone explain this please!

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Maybe someone bumped the table?

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Calm down.

There have been a couple large quakes today.
www.iris.edu...

The shock waves "travel" along the fault lines, resulting in the readings like you see above.
It happens all the time, nothing to panic about.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Someone once mentioned this fault line thing......so does the fault line of Russia run into the fault line of Arizona?? I just dont get it!

Do you not think this is abnormal?

[edit on 11-11-2004 by Gizmoqt]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Yikes. It hit at 1900 GMT, 1300 Central Time, and it hasn't stopped vibrating yet.

The worst hit areas are Marianas Islands and Mainland China.

Have you looked at EMSC yet? Yep. Banda Sea again.

I wonder if that place EVER STOPS shaking.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
As Banshee said, there were a couple of large quakes today. What you're seeing is the normal aftershocks. The instruments are sensitive and when a quake goes off in one region, other stations around the globe will pick it up.

You can see the quakes here:
aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

[edit on 11-11-2004 by Byrd]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It seems from memory, that this was noticed and brought to our attention at ATS about a year ago, when it happened then also. Again, going from memory, wasnt that then a pre-curser to an earthquake in Japan or someplace?

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
So for all of you intellegent people that understand this......What earthquake effected Arizona and the rest of the US locations?

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
As Banshee said, there were a couple of large quakes today. What you're seeing is the normal aftershocks. The instruments are sensitive and when a quake goes off in one region, other stations around the globe will pick it up.

[edit on 11-11-2004 by Byrd]

OK, if these are aftershocks, what do the 9.0's look like on these machines?

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gizmoqt
So for all of you intellegent people that understand this......What earthquake effected Arizona and the rest of the US locations?

All of them, probably.
The areas aren't actually feeling a tremor, but the instruments are able to record the vibrations traveling through the earth. Remember, the earth's crust is floating on a big wad of liquid magma. When you throw a stone in a pond, think of how far the ripples spread out. Now, imagine that on a global level and you'll start to get a "feel" for how the vibrations move.

Originally posted by smirkley
It seems from memory, that this was noticed and brought to our attention at ATS about a year ago, when it happened then also. Again, going from memory, wasnt that then a pre-curser to an earthquake in Japan or someplace?

It happens all the time, really. This same thing came up probably about a month ago.
It's not so much a pre-cursor to anything...and earthquakes in Japan are like tornados in the midwest US -- common and just a part of life.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
No, this does NOT happen all the time. This is one of my regular url stops and it has only happened twice in the last two years.

The last time was much worse than this--the whole graph paper WAS black--solid black up and down the whole page.

So I figure everything hasn't quite fallen apart just yet. And I'm not going to hold my breath until it does.

One of the tools of the USGS and EMSC to keep us civilized people placid and quiet is that they diminish the severity of quakes, on paper. So, don't expect to see anything very unusual at USGS's regular site, namely

neic.usgs.gov...

They take up to a week to put up their data; EMSC has theirs up within an hour; but they don't put it all up on their map.

It's a game.
Playing dumb.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
. Again, going from memory, wasnt that then a pre-curser to an earthquake in Japan or someplace?

Smirk- what a memory!

Earthquake swarms - New evidence for earthquake forecasting

Earthquake swarms, Stein noted, do not exhibit "typical" earthquake behavior in which a mainshock occurs, followed by a series of aftershocks that become less frequent with time. Instead, in a swarm there is a sustained high rate of earthquakes. Eventually, the seismic action stops or peters out. Swarms are most common in volcanic areas, such as in Hawaii, the Pacific Northwest, Alaska, Yellowstone, and parts of northern and southern California. However, such swarms also may occur on tectonic faults, including California's famed San Andreas. Why swarms occur has always been a mystery.

The focus of the Toda et al paper was to test a hypothesis of USGS scientist Jim Dieterich about why earthquake swarms occur at such remote distances from the volcanic or fault source. If scientists could validate this theory, the information could then be used, with proper instrumentation, to improve forecasting of large swarm shocks and earthquake hazards in all settings and countries, Stein said.

Dieterich's theory is probably one of the most interesting on the subject but I couldn't find it.

B

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I noticed it myself about an hour ago- i couldnt believe it. Everyone's shaking today.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
Calm down.

There have been a couple large quakes today.
www.iris.edu...

The shock waves "travel" along the fault lines, resulting in the readings like you see above.
It happens all the time, nothing to panic about.

Sheesh, I thought you Spilled our Coffee.....

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Emily_Cragg
No, this does NOT happen all the time. This is one of my regular url stops and it has only happened twice in the last two years.

Yes, it does happen all the time.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I can assure you it's happened MANY more than 2 times in the last two years. There are close to 80 pages on those two threads alone tracking quakes, quake swarms (and this instance is not a quake swarm, BTW), and seismo readings much like this one.

The only games are the ones being played by those who think this is something to be concerned about.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Temper Tantrum time....please answer my question

If these are "aftershocks" or "ripples" then what would a 9.0 look like on these machines?? How do we determine the magnitude? Waiting for them to tell us or do I have the wrong graphs?

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Giz: you keep mentioning Arizona, was there a tremor here today? Sometimes i swear i feel something under my feet- maybe im just paranoid!

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Giz: you keep mentioning Arizona, was there a tremor here today? Sometimes i swear i feel something under my feet- maybe im just paranoid!

Tucson, shows all black on the Seismic Server too!!
But according to our "experts" it is just a fault line or "ripple" from other quakes.

FYI - For the last 2 days I have had moments of dizziness, never, never had before.....any connection with what is going on in the universe?

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   

If these are "aftershocks" or "ripples" then what would a 9.0 look like on these machines?? How do we determine the magnitude? Waiting for them to tell us or do I have the wrong graphs?

Here's a relatively simple explanation on reading a seismograph. The site also has more information on quake centering, magnitudes, etc.

Edit: and here's a map of recent US quakes. As you can see, Arizona has been tremor-free for at least a week.

[edit on 11-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Tucson, shows all black on the Seismic Server too!!
But according to our "experts" it is just a fault line or "ripple" from other quakes.

I just called up some of my friends in tucson, they didnt feel anything.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join