It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS - what is the purpose of us being in a human body?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Has it ever occurred to you that the human brain might be comparable to a radio? And the mind is a program to which that brain is specifically tuned?

You could be right. However, I'm willing to wager that our minds cannot penetrate our minds, and that we will never know the nature of consciousness. Time will tell of course.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by crankyoldman
The answer is simple and people do know despite what the OP says.
You are here to have experiences that lead to and understanding of yourself.

Cranky Old Man .... the answer isn't simple and it's not known. Your thought that we are stuck in organic bodies that suffer in order to have experiences that lead to understandings of ourself is fine. No one has a right or wrong answer. But other peoples answers aren't 'wrong'. No one knows .... people can say they do ... but they really don't.

Let's take your answer - we are stuck in a human body to have experienced and to understand ourselves better. That's not a complete answer. WHY do we have to understand ourselves better? What difference does it make and Who or What .. (if anyone or anything) ... decided that this was the best way to understand ourselves better? etc etc

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Gene-pool survival that is all there is to life and format, the best will survive and be happy at it, from virus to human...

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
We actually have one of the best immune systems around....

Oh hon ... considering the number of people on this planet with autoimmune diseases ...
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. Seriously ... autoimmune sucks ... and it's
not because I didn't eat right or whatever. It's part of being a spiritual being stuck in an
organic body. The organic body feels wrong as a covering for my spiritual being ....

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Shuye

Okay .. that was spooky. An hour ago I just read something from Ramana's teachings as well as 'Seth Speaks" quotes. It's kind of chilling when that kind of coincidence happens. That tells me I'll have to google up more on this ...

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by NiNjABackflip
There is nothing that shows that we are "something in a body". So I think your first presupposition is misleading. Therefor there is no purpose to "us being in a body", since we are not in a body.

Out of body experiences that people have had, along with my own spiritual experiences tell me that I am indeed a spirit stuck in an organic body. If you do not believe so, that is your right. As I said, no one's answer is wrong. I'm just asking for opinion. And your opinion pretty much fits with one of the scenario choices that I gave in the opening post. So okay ... I'll mark you down as 'no purpose'.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

The thought begs a question: where is the mind being broadcast from?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by crankyoldman
The answer is simple and people do know despite what the OP says.
You are here to have experiences that lead to and understanding of yourself.

Cranky Old Man .... the answer isn't simple and it's not known. Your thought that we are stuck in organic bodies that suffer in order to have experiences that lead to understandings of ourself is fine. No one has a right or wrong answer. But other peoples answers aren't 'wrong'. No one knows .... people can say they do ... but they really don't.

Let's take your answer - we are stuck in a human body to have experienced and to understand ourselves better. That's not a complete answer. WHY do we have to understand ourselves better? What difference does it make and Who or What .. (if anyone or anything) ... decided that this was the best way to understand ourselves better? etc etc

You say no one knows.

Then what a pointless question, and a pointless existence you are painting for yourself. How pathetic. Why waste your time seeking if no one knows.

Just drink, have sex, and die. Why seek bigger answers if you think they don't exist?

Why be such a hypocrite?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofswords

Very interesting thoughts. I'll keep that in mind and meditate a bit on it. Thanks for the reply!

LOVE that post! It'll give me a lot to think about. A WHOLE LOT!

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

The thought begs a question: where is the mind being broadcast from?

Your question implies that the mind must be broadcasting from somewhere.

Therefore, why don't you trace the signal and ask the Broadcaster.

Isn't it obvious?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Isn't it obvious?

The human body.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I have had OBE's and other experiences which I found impossible to describe or communicate. But one experience has left me utterly ignorant ever since. I will explain it VERY briefly:

One morning, upon waking up and still in sleep paralysis, I attempted to slip out of my body. Typically this consists of tremendous vibrations and body numbness , which enables me to phase out of my body or dissolve out. But on this morning, while simultaneously being aware of the activities in my house, when the vibrations came on, I saw what could only be described as a portal through my eyelids.
The portal got bigger until I was now looking out of the eyes of someone upstairs in my apartment building. 'Being John Malkovich' sums it up pretty well. She was looking out of her window, down at the trees in our courtyard. Except my version of her eyesight was extremely vivid. I could see every single leaf, grain of dirt and blade of grass. I became so aware of the experience, my mind started processing it and my body began to wake. Portal view...gone. Eyes open.

I began thinking, if I can leave my body, and collocate into other people while still being aware of myself..what am I? I'm obviously not my body, and my mind has since erased that belief. But what am I?

That's when I understood the meaning of consciousness. That is what I am. Upon deeper introspection, I realized that EVERYBODY is this consciousness. Consciousness seems to localize itself in every single human body. It experiences life from that body/mind. That each of us is a localized and modified consciousness which, when out of the body, is ONE consciousness. But it is experienced through our individual and unique minds. We believe that we are our only our minds and our bodies but we are not.

We are experiencing this world through an Avatar. And experiencing the World, seems to be the only purpose to 'life' as an individual being. That every other meaning and definition we give life, is something we cook up in our own minds.

In my travels, it seems to me that being alive IS the purpose of life. That each of us, It seems, is the result of a consciousness which endlessly desires to experience itself. So perhaps, the purpose of your life is being fulfilled every second of the day. Even though it doesn't feel or look that way.

I say 'perhaps' and 'seems' because after that experience, I have a hard time believing that I know anything at all.

edit on 24-8-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Self edited ...
I stand by what I said ... but I won't let a troll draw me a warning ....
edit on 8/24/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Your question implies that the mind must be broadcasting from somewhere.

Therefore, why don't you trace the signal and ask the Broadcaster.

Isn't it obvious?

Scientists are still working on that, and I don't have the technology nor the expertise to investigate that question. I think I will leave it to the professionals. They seem to have done alright so far, and we still have thousands of years to devote to such studies.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Isn't it obvious?

The human body.

That's interesting. Do dead people broadcast signals?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

I agree the body is an insufficient term in this case. I meant a functioning human organism.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Visitor2012

In my travels, it seems to me that being alive IS the purpose of life.

edit on 24-8-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

You just remarried the idea of life being tied only to the body with that sentence, after you spent the entire time saying that it isn't.

That's circular and pointless.

The purpose of life is -not- so that the body might live, or else the body would not be dying. Nature, as base as it is, proves this.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by TarzanBeta
You say no one knows.

Because no one has a direct link to the Creator (assuming there is one) to find out why we spiritual entities are stuck in organic bodies. So no one knows the reason. I"m asking for opinions as to why people think we are stuck in organic bodies instead of etherial ones.

Then what a pointless question, and a pointless existence you are painting for yourself. How pathetic.

Don't tempt me ... seriously .... :shk:

Why waste your time seeking if no one knows.

As I said .. no one knows for sure why we spiritual beings are stuck in organic bodies ... but the thoughts people have on this subject could trigger deeper thoughts and other questions worthy of a discussion forum.

Just drink, have sex, and die. Why seek bigger answers if you think they don't exist?

WTH?

Why be such a hypocrite?

What the hell are you talking about? Nevermind. I don't want to know.
This is a nice thread. Go be stupid elsewhere.

Be stupid?

Your logic leads directly to that end.

You want to have pointless discussions. You say no one knows, and yet you ask the question.

It's a stumbling block for you and for everyone that doesn't know.

But for those of us that know, we actually have life. But you claim to seek life, but you deny it over and over again.

If you continue to deny the truth, then you pointlessly seek higher understanding. There is no point in seeking if there is nothing to seek!

Why are you calling me stupid?

Pointless "high-minded" conversation is to be drunk with words, to be satisfied with mental masturbation, and to build a grave of the mind. For if the information therein means nothing and has no merit, is it not dead already?

Why are you calling me stupid?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I agree the body is an insufficient term in this case. I meant a functioning human organism.

If a functioning human organism is the only broadcaster, then I propose an experiment. Ask your finger to tell your brain to numb your body.

Don't tell your brain to. Ask your finger to. Of course, the irony should immediately be found upon this request, but do it anyway.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

If a functioning human organism is the only broadcaster, then I propose an experiment. Ask your finger to tell your brain to numb your body.

Don't tell your brain to. Ask your finger to. Of course, the irony should immediately be found upon this request, but do it anyway.

Why would one talk to his finger? Maybe you should tell your brain to conjure a better analogy.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join