It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feeling blue? Your brake fluid may be! Recall Announced.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I believe this is my first post in this forum. I couldn't imagine a better one for the story to fit into though and it seems important to share among those it would impact in any way.

It's just not nice to train humans to expect fluids in a car to be a certain color from the time we know what exists under a hood ... then switch 'em!

WASHINGTON (AP) — A company is recalling about 488,000 units of brake fluid because its color is wrong.

According to documents posted on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website, Continental Aftermarket GMBH is recalling some ATE Super Blue Racing DOT 4 brake fluid because it could be misidentified and improperly mixed in the braking system. Highway safety officials say that could lead to brake damage or failure.
Source

So if your brake fluid is from the above company and seems to be feeling a bit blue? It's not depressed... It needs returned to the retailer for this recall!

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by wrabbit2000

Continental Aftermarket GMBH is recalling some ATE Super Blue Racing DOT 4 brake fluid
Source
So if your brake fluid is from the above company and seems to be feeling a bit blue? It's not depressed... It needs returned to the retailer for this recall!

Wow what an unexpected place to read this, thank you! I am upgrading my rear brakes with new performance rotors and aluminum calipers over the mk3 steel, with stainless braided lines, and was going to use this brand. They are popular at least on the VW performance web sites and forums.

How ironic that I am doing these upgrades to prevent any brake failure (as the brakes are hands down one of the most important parts of a car, especially when racing.) and the fluid I almost bought could have made all those hundreds of dollars in upgraded parts not work. Thank you again!

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SixX18

Originally posted by wrabbit2000

Continental Aftermarket GMBH is recalling some ATE Super Blue Racing DOT 4 brake fluid
Source

Wow what an unexpected place to read this, thank you! I am upgrading my rear brakes with new performance rotors and aluminum calipers over the mk3 steel, with stainless braided lines, and was going to use this brand. They are popular at least on the VW performance web sites and forums.

How ironic that I am doing these upgrades to prevent any brake failure (as the brakes are hands down one of the most important parts of a car, especially when racing.) and the fluid I almost bought could have made all those hundreds of dollars in upgraded parts not work. Thank you again!

Definitely brakes and suspension are the most important parts of a car,for racing and for general driving too,Presumably you've already upgraded your front brakes - vented,drilled and grooved discs,heat resistant anti-fade pads,aluminium callipers,steel braided hoses etc before doing the rears .lol.

As for the OP,so there's nothing wrong with the fluid itself apart from being the wrong colour ???

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

Funny you mention this. I'm using this very same fluid in my vw as well. Brand new lines etc. so there's no need to worry about mixing different types.

The thing is that this fluid seems to be more for aftermarket or racing enthusiasts so I don't see it being used at many common repair shops. I guess the problem is if some kid sells his car and someone else doesn't know and mixes dot3 in there'll be some problems.

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
each type of brake fluid has a color so it can be identified? news to me.
ive never seen a colored brake fluid

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
The purpose of the blue colour is so you can tell when fresh fluid has reached the end of the line during a flush process.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Ugh I am feeling blue now!

(post by NenadP removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

new topics

top topics

join