It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA Employees Spied On Their Lovers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

NSA Employees Spied On Their Lovers

www.te legraph.co.uk

Staff working at America's National Security Agency – the eavesdropping unit that was revealed to have spied on millions of people – have used the technology to spy on their lovers.
The employees even had a code name for the practice – "Love-int" – meaning the gathering of intelligence on their partners.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.intrepidreport.com
blogs.wsj.com
www.dailymail.co.uk

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
They say that these incidences of NSA officers using PRISM technology to spy on their spouses and lovers travelling overseas are few and far between...yet, nonetheless, have continued to take place.
As we have already discovered (and continue to discover), NSA admissions of abuse are invariably always extreme understatements, where admitted abuses are more wide-ranging than previously assumed.
What this shows is that the most sophisticated and advanced intelligence-gathering technology ever conceived by man...is essentially being run...and personally abused by children and imbeciles...with little or no respect for the technology's original intent or stated purpose of fighting Terror.

Rhetorical question to follow:
Can we really trust ANYTHING they tell us regarding their own oversight?

www.te legraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
This is what people do. All those special and restricted databases are accessed everyday for all sorts of unofficial reasons. From cops looking up "hot" women to feds watching their spouses.

Which is why these databases shouldnt exist.

Funny, these NSA folks dont even trust their own partners. How do you think they feel about you or me?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Funny, these NSA folks dont even trust their own partners. How do you think they feel about you or me?

You said it!

I really think this is it in a Nutshell.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Did anyone think this wasn't happening? Does anyone think this doesn't happen with every sensitive database in existence? Heck, when I was young, I wanted to join the NSA. It was something of a dream in my teens and into early 20's. Why? Did I fancy 007 dreams of spycraft? Heck no.... I just looked at the world and, like the answer to "Why rob a bank? Because it's where they keep the money!", why work for the NSA? It's because they have the best computers and technology man knows how to make. lol..... A Nerd version of Disneyland wouldn't be better, IMO.

I doubt anyone on this site could resist punching in a name of a friend, relative or lover. Especially past ones, to see what ever happened to them and how life turned out. Not if given the screen query that would answer it in moments and no one would know better.

I hope no one gets too self righteous on this. It would be silly. We really would all do it. No question in my mind.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

I always look forward to hearing from you Wrabbit...but, without being self righteous, I can honestly say that I would NOT abuse that technology for personal gain.
Still, I can't help but thinking about the film 'True Lies' where Schwarzenegger uses the NSA facilities to surveil his wife...I wonder if these NSA guys are also re-directing satellites to follow their wives' minivans.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

here's where i said just the thing..

Originally posted by Redarguo

Originally posted by filledcup
reply to post by DPrice

if a man works in the transport system where the activities of these cards are logged as they pass through gates.. he could easily convince his wife to register and in so doing can track her every move through the transport system using the card. not saying its right or wrong. just noting the possibility.

It would pretty much be the a one of scenario of a disturbed husband. Tracking peoples transport by bus is pretty limited in what it can tell you, ie buses go to set destinations.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 24-8-2013 by filledcup because: (no reason given)

effectively.. humans cannot be trusted to oversee other humans. considering humans too stupid to govern themselves is the same thing as using humans from that same group of stupid humans to govern other humans.
edit on 24-8-2013 by filledcup because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

You can honestly say you wouldn't even type in the name of a high school sweetheart or maybe best friend from half a lifetime ago to see if they did well or not? Wouldn't be tempted? Just a little? lol.....

Realistically, it isn't a good thing to note. It's the true core of what makes the NSA wrong. That ultimate knowledge....forbidden and secret knowledge, as our society deems it, right at their fingertips, gives them a sense of power and superiority I think sum up the whole thing for why they shouldn't exist in the form they do today.

* Oh, as far as the Satellite? As a teen? One of the child like ideas in access to the toys at the NSA's level was the fact that no beach or backyard would be off limits to see. Err.. You know how young male minds think. With resolution they have now? I wonder how often Blacks Beach is used as a training target?
edit on 24-8-2013 by wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

This is what people do. All those special and restricted databases are accessed everyday for all sorts of unofficial reasons. From cops looking up "hot" women to feds watching their spouses.

Which is why these databases shouldnt exist.

Since the PRISM database is a database of business records, are you saying business records should not be kept? Or, when you say "this is what people do," are you excluding the people who work in those businesses?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

They probably don't care at all about you or me.

Lovers that don't completely trust each other? Well that's new.

People check each others text messages or online history all the time, so I'm not really surprised that there were cases of this.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAMTAT

They say that these incidences of NSA officers using PRISM technology to spy on their spouses and lovers travelling overseas are few and far between

Who are they? Whoever they are, they're lying. It seems to be human nature to watch people, and as society keeps growing and getting more subjective in the way they see things, the more people you will have who don't trust others. What's the result? People like those in the NSA who do what they do for personal reasons.

This has never been about catching terrorists. Anyone with half a brain can tell you that if you leave people alone then they will have no reason to hate you you and want to kill you. This about sociopaths on the top of the business chain who want control for the sake of it. And I say for the sake of it, because they don't know what to do with the people they control. These are sick individuals who want to play puppet master. Plain and simple.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by FurvusRexCaeli

Why keep business records? Government mandates it.

I'm sure businesses would love to stop paying the expense in dollars and time tracking every little thing they do for years upon years.

My first job was organizing records of a national auto parts chain. We had a fleet of tractor trailers whose only purpose was to house these useless records.

When a truck hit the 7 year mark it was moved out, contents shredded in this awesome industrial shredding machine then shuffled back to the end of the lot to be filled with this years files.

It was a colossal expense that served no purpose other than to satisfy regulations.

The best part was that if by chance some astonishing chain of events called upon the retrieval of some of these records there was a high probability that a rodent had made a nest in the box needed.

This Nazi like fascination with hording records foe everything under the sun needs to end.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

You said it!

I really think this is it in a Nutshell.

You really do?

They don't care about you and don't know you. You are one out of millions.

Off course people are going to be interested in what their lovers are doing. They couldn't care less about you.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

“The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.”
― Thomas Babington Macaulay

The real problem is that there doesn't appear to be any consequences or repercussions for NSA operators and officials personally using or abusing the system.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

One employee was disciplined for using the NSA's resources to track a former spouse, the Associated Press said.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

I hear ya and I'll be pragmatic enough to admit, it may be my own way of seeing this that is a bit warped for values in this instance. It seems a very small indiscretion to me, in looking up a friend or lover when you have the Encyclopedia Everythingica on Everyonica and a keyboard attached right to it. lol.... We all do grow a bit cynical on some things in life though..and perhaps I have a bit here.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by wrabbit2000
reply to post by IAMTAT

You can honestly say you wouldn't even type in the name of a high school sweetheart or maybe best friend from half a lifetime ago to see if they did well or not? Wouldn't be tempted? Just a little? lol.....

edit on 24-8-2013 by wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

Well, since I started in the computer field in the early 70's (beginning at age 18 professionally) things have come a long way. But during my government service I was the guy with (read only) access to the records of who accessed what and when on every computer platform within my agency and every out-of-network access as well. In today's terms I would be considered a "data spook". There's no way in hell I would've ever used any system to check on anybody without direct authorization/orders. For one thing, I had regular access to TOO MUCH DATA to get involved in the details without a directive to do so. We're talking about every console command, every programmer's change to every piece of running code, every sysop parameter, every database transaction including the content, every network transaction. At times, I audited the internal auditors.

My job was primarily one of measurement, I had to count things. At times I was directed to the actual content. Most times I was working with the "metadata" in bulk - BUT - all the data was available for my perusal without any oversight or any real internal controls. It was a position of TRUST with far greater access than even our commanding General. I always maintained that TRUST. There may have been a temptation or two along the way, but I can truthfully admit that I never breached the agency's trust and looked into any details that weren't specifically assigned. Then again, there wasn't much interesting to look at outside the inner workings of the agency I worked for, although I guess I could have sneaked a peak at my superior's personnel files, spousal medical records, telephone logs, internet access (after the internet was invented and we had access from work).

ganjoa

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

Okay, so you were the guy with access or the job to examine the audit trails, right? You knew what everyone else did for straying...and how often did it happen on a one- off basis to someone's curiosity?

Now indeed, I hear what you're saying in terms on how high a position you held and the higher one goes, the more responsibility and even duty comes with it for not screwing around. The flip side of that would be, as I imagine you can also attest to, the data becomes nothing more than that. Data. Nothing meaningful to BE curious about when one record looks about the same as the other hundred or thousand or 10 thousand. Each is real real important to someone out there somewhere ...but I guess I'd worry if someone at system administrator or network admin level still thought of it that way.

Kinda like a discovery show I saw about the Mint one time. The S.S. agent they were interviewing regarding security and counterfeiting had said everyone fantasizes when hired on and it's pretty much expected at first. Anyone still thinking of the rolling stock as money after a month or two though, needs to find work elsewhere. That made a lot of sense...and applies to data too at that level.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

We spend much of our time here scrutinizing the particulars of information that is not gathered or contrasted by the regular "infotainment" to which we are usually treated.

We often find the abusers, the mis-users, and the villains most repulsive. Especially when we take for granted that what we are being informed of is fact, rather than the 'production' it actually is.

Reports such as this, (and sadly it applies to most "news" reports) is what the authors of the story "want" to tell you.

In the past, if one person became addle-brained over their personal affairs and violated someone's rights, it was the exception and not the rule... this story makes it seem like a casual thing "anyone" can do... well guess what? Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, AoL, any government investigative entity, the IRS, the ATF, etc. can do it too.... why aren't we hating on them?

It has been a long while since I was certain of anything about the NSA; the creation of DHS (the global "Contractor" cartel's clearing house,) the cultivation of the politics of fear, and the social engineering effort to create "enemies" for the people have changed the paradigm of execution, I suspect.

But I can say that the thought and action of spying on an American citizen used to be anathema to the culture there.... if a person was found to have perpetrated such a heinous act; not only would they probably face serious (criminal) action against them, but the community would shun them and their careers would be over. There WERE very diligent watchdogs entrenched in the system until President Carter's Intelligence Directives were dismantled by subsequent varying "party" leaders.

Honor existed within the system. It did long ago... anyway.

The continued "news" reporting appears designed to encourage anger and mistrust to be directed at the people whose "on-the-books" function is to protect us. It is working. Now they can justify perhaps mounting a .50 caliber machine gun at the entrance of the facility... or something along those lines, I guess.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Already posted.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add to the on going.

new topics

top topics

join