It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is considered "spiritual"?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
A general idea, is basically, the "immaterial" - this includes such things as:

A) Emotions, feelings, and subjective inner perceptions.

Making moral judgements that serve to facet one's destiny - i.e beliefs that form a basis for one's "salvation" - i.e. never lie, never steal.

B) Dreams, hallucinations, and subjective outer perceptions.

Making predictions about the future or iterations of the past based on intuition - i.e. crystal balls, prophetic dreams.

C) Means of self-observation in the spiritual sense, such as meditation and contemplation.

Aims to "quantify" the "spirit" such as metaphysics and the occult.

Aims to "deny" the spirit such as atheism and realism.
edit on 25-8-2013 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
To understand what may be considered "spiritual" we should obviously understand what spirit is.

I understand human organism in this way:

Spirit > Mind (thinking) > Soul (emotions) > Body

This is a chain of influence. It may read like "spirit controls mind controls soul controls body". In this construct a statement like "mind controls body" will also be true. This is also the ideal case, because reverse control (soul > mind) is also possible and generally not very beneficial, but may still be necessary for balancing of a real-world human, surviving extreme conditions, etc.

Usually spirit emanates in things you believe are right and things you are ready to compromise for. Lack of spiritual awareness often results in lack of conscience, low willpower, emotions that are difficult to get over, depressions, irritation. Life of such person may be characterized with a word "unaware" even though this person may be well educated, intellectual worker.

On the other hand we have a spiritual human who is aware and in charge of his thoughts and desires. There is no person or condition that can truly disrupt his emotional balance and make him boil in anger/despair. Generally these people are very calm, attentive, not doing multiple things at once and not in a hurry, compassionate, but a bit withdrawn from society even if society accepts/loves them. They are always happy with what they currently have which makes them moving forward instead of fixing what's left in the past.

So "spiritual" is a word to describe everything that promotes this understanding that makes a spiritually aware person different from spiritually unaware.

edit on 25-8-2013 by Etherguide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Etherguide
To understand what may be considered "spiritual" we should obviously understand what spirit is.
I understand human organism in this way:
Spirit > Mind (thinking) > Soul (emotions) > Body

Spirit as defined by mental logic. I wonder what spirit as defined by spirit would be instead.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Science is considered spiritual. Atoms are energy, and when you realize that atoms are energy than you see the earth in a different light, perhaps this earth is living. I think so because of the way the solar system was 'designed' in my opinion. So when you realize we are living on an earth that is living and vibrating with energy, you start to question what is actually letting us breathe, what is the will, the creation. The answer is that we are all the same. When somebody yawns it is contagious, this is because we are all one and the same being. That is spirituality - it is realizing and understand the spirit, it is not a spirit that you just have like a personality, this is one spirit on the planet earth.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
EA*RTH GAIA*

Gaia (/ˈɡeɪ.ə/ or /ˈɡaɪ.ə/; from Ancient Greek Γαῖα, a poetical form of Gē Γῆ, "land" or "earth";[1] also Gaea, or Ge) was the goddess or personification of Earth in ancient Greek religion,[2] one of the Greek primordial deities. Gaia was the great mother of all: the primal Greek Mother Goddess; creator and giver of birth to the Earth and all the Universe; the heavenly gods, the Titans and the Giants were born from her union with Uranus (the sky), while the sea-gods were born from her union with Pontus (the sea). Her equivalent in the Roman pantheon was Terra.[3]

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SystemResistor
A) Emotions, feelings, and subjective inner perceptions.

Making moral judgements that serve to facet one's destiny - i.e beliefs that form a basis for one's "salvation" - i.e. never lie, never steal.

B) Dreams, hallucinations, and subjective outer perceptions.

I'm a believer that our subconscious / unconscious knows more about our spirit / omnipresence than our conscious can ever perceive. That is you can get hypnotized and go deep into the nonphysical reality in which there is no reason, there is only vibration of miraculous organized frequencies. The most amazing thing is that we can see into objects and behind walls like remote viewing.

Part of the oneness of the planet earth, since we are all one spirit - even the animals, determines exactly what effect lying and stealing has on spirituality, because lying and stealing is making a choice to separate one's spirit from the other person's spirit. Those laws are still well standing because of spirituality, a religious beginner would question why lying is so strongly in the top rules of faith, it is specifically because we are all one and what the East calls Karma.

That would mean showing love and righteousness to the world would change the way society feels and perceives, it would be an objective way of seeing how spirituality can at least do much better than religion in being something that is tangible for all of us.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Depends.

Spiritual definition wise, is somewhat loose and can be pretty general as well.

You can look at it in different ways, like for a scientist, spiritual could be just a practice to them such as hindu yoga, while to a religious person praying and fearing to some old tribal Devil God. Some would say sex is spiritual, while others would utterly condemn it.

The common believe with spirituality is some connection with the universe, and being content with one's self, and just enjoying life with out altering one mind with some herb or plant. Others would a eat field of cow fungus. Or even living well without such luxuries or liabilities.

Others believe opening a certain chakra is all you need, while others would try to follow unison in their practice. Some would believe in chanting words, while some wouldn't need to say anything.

Really we could classify spirituality in number of ways. Which is why I feel it such a loosely based term.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by greyer

I have just come-up with my own little "religion"...

Commandments:

1) Never lie to children.
2) Never judge others.
3) Always believe in yourself.

Disclaimers:

3) Do what you want, I don't care.
4) I love you.

5) ?

The question mark is what you get to say and do, your "religion" - as you believe in yourself, and follow the two rules with the exception of the disclaimers.

Of course my religion has some "occult" and they are two secret laws:

6) Never make promises.
7) Never answer a yes or no question definitivley.

There is also a metaphysical side to my religion:

Two square for the first two brackets, two square for bracket one and bracket three, two square for bracket two and three, three sides, number five is the capstone, and, you have a pyramid.

My religion also has some herecy:

8) "God Loves You".

Luckily, my religion has a saviour, Catz, and he declared:

9) "God loves me!"

Poor Catz was punished brutally prior to his conversion, however, upon his realisation, his sins were relinquished, and he became the saviour of my religion.

Lastly, it also has a "Secret School" and it is here that we learn of the reason for his punishment.

10) He was a pervert.

Asides from this there is little written about my religion, however, there has also been some conspiracy:

A) Is it Cats or Catz?
B) What does the "z" stand for?
C) It stands for "Capture And Torment Snakes".

In response to this, the "Secret School" has three levels, in the form of "two clues" and "the answer":

Level i) She was a snake, and he was a pervert.
Level ii) He was a snake, and she was a pervert.
Level iii) God loves all.

There is also a retalliation by some of the conspiracy theorists, of recent, a special code has been found, and roughly, it translates into:

11) I AM A CAT
edit on 2-9-2013 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SystemResistor
Poor Catz was punished brutally prior to his conversion, however, upon his realisation, his sins were relinquished, and he became the saviour of my religion.

Lastly, it also has a "Secret School" and it is here that we learn of the reason for his punishment.

10) He was a pervert.

Asides from this there is little written about my religion, however, there has also been some conspiracy:

A) Is it Cats or Catz?
B) What does the "z" stand for?
C) It stands for "Capture And Torment Snakes".

In response to this, the "Secret School" has three levels, in the form of "two clues" and "the answer":

Level i) She was a snake, and he was a pervert.
Level ii) He was a snake, and she was a pervert.
Level iii) God loves all.

There is also a retalliation by some of the conspiracy theorists, of recent, a special code has been found, and roughly, it translates into:

11) I AM A CAT

Just so everyone knows, this is what I said to have this person post - it is up to your judgement on who is on the right track and who is in denial.

- Part of the oneness of the planet earth, since we are all one spirit - even the animals, determines exactly what effect lying and stealing has on spirituality, because lying and stealing is making a choice to separate one's spirit from the other person's spirit. Those laws are still well standing because of spirituality, a religious beginner would question why lying is so strongly in the top rules of faith, it is specifically because we are all one and what the East calls Karma.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
EA*RTH GAIA*

Gaia (/ˈɡeɪ.ə/ or /ˈɡaɪ.ə/; from Ancient Greek Γαῖα, a poetical form of Gē Γῆ, "land" or "earth";[1] also Gaea, or Ge) was the goddess or personification of Earth in ancient Greek religion,[2] one of the Greek primordial deities. Gaia was the great mother of all: the primal Greek Mother Goddess; creator and giver of birth to the Earth and all the Universe; the heavenly gods, the Titans and the Giants were born from her union with Uranus (the sky), while the sea-gods were born from her union with Pontus (the sea). Her equivalent in the Roman pantheon was Terra.[3]

But Chaos and Darkness (Erebus) came before Gaia (Great mother of all). The nothingness - the pure potential from which all things comes is "spiritual".

Spirit is chaos - potential , and The Body is the physical form which expresses the action.

All of us have the potential to be loving or hateful.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Akragon
An interesting question for the ATS community...

Google says this...

Web definitions
spiritualty: property or income owned by a church.
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Wikipedia...

The term spirituality lacks a definitive definition,[1][2] although social scientists have defined spirituality as the search for "the sacred," where "the sacred" is broadly defined as that which is set apart from the ordinary and worthy of veneration.[3]

The use of the term "spirituality" has changed throughout the ages.[4] In modern times spirituality is often separated from religion,[5] and connotes a blend of humanistic psychology with mystical and esoteric traditions and eastern religions aimed at personal well-being and personal development.[6] The notion of "spiritual experience" plays an important role in modern spirituality, but has a relatively recent origin

Spirituality has almost become its own religion while those who claim to be "spiritualists" reject the idea that it is a religion... Yet with no definitive "doctrine" can it be defined as such?

So what is spirituality?

What is spiritual?

Is it within a book or a set of documents?

Or is it something that must be experienced... perhaps a personal journey?

What say you?

My personal def of spirituality is best described with a small desk lamp in a dark room with lots of corners. You turn the light on and a small area is revealed. Everything still in shadow is spirituality or supernatural. The lamps would represent disciplined scientists. What we need is more lamps.
edit on 10-4-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

filledcup

Originally posted by NiNjABackflip
reply to post by filledcup

The law of noncontradiction states that something cannot be something other than what it is. It is not about naming different facets of one thing.

if u stand in the middle of east, west, north and south.. which direction are u standing in?

Thats like asking how many talls are you?
The contradiction is in the question.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

What is considered "spiritual"?

a spiritual person is convinced that there is a unseen, supernatural world existing side by side with the mundane, practical natural world in which we physically live

that there are conscious entities without a physical body, which neither heat nor cold nor gravity is of any consequence
and that prayer or meditation is a portal for communication with these energy entities

spiritual is that part of ones mind-brain-heart that exists beyond the confines of physical reality...
it is the realm of hopes, dreams, awe, inspiration, love, eternal life, heaven, reincarnation, karma, luck, hall of the Akashic records, the human soul apart from all other animals 'spirits'...the spirit realm is also home to Poetry,and other abstractions - St Udio

I cant speak for other "Spiritualists", but the above is a good start.

My search for this question really started when I was very young, I asked a priest where God is.

I say its subjective and comes down to individuals, one persons spiritual is another's crazy, and to another its wisdom. - benrl

That Priest told me not to look for God, and that I would go "Crazy". Well, I found that part of "Human Being", the spiritual being. And of course when you do, you appear insane to the rest of the humans who have not, even though its a discovery open to all of them. Its a truth that has been hidden by religious dogma that in essence hides the reality that is in ones very own heart.

Many might find the following to be shocking but the truth is, Jesus Christ, was not a "Christian", he was a spiritual teacher.

Humanity by its very nature is a duality. We are flesh and blood animals, or smart monkeys to some, that is inhabited by a Divine Spirit, and or soul to others. As a species we have been encouraged to forget this core truth with skillfully crafted disinformation and out and out lies. We have been abandon on the surface of this planet in a state of ignorance concerning this truth.

Spirituality by its very nature is unprovable not because it doesn't exist, but because its all about the individual and its journey, not about any one society. Jesus himself tried to teach us about the spirit, but we have forgotten his lessons.

John 14:16,17 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you for ever; even the Spirit of Truth; Whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth Him not, neither knoweth Him: but ye know Him; for He dwelleth with you, and shall be in you
www.maschil.com...

I believe the "Comforter" Jesus speaks of is actually something that is already within ourselves and only needs to be awakened, the spiritual sleeping giant. For it will bring you internal peace, freedom, and a hidden truth as to your own identity.

Jesus had no religion, and by his very nature, speaking about the spirit, "Holy Ghost", made him a "Spiritualist". Jesus never taught religious division, but taught about Spiritual Unity.......and our "Divine Father".

Yes, to a spiritualist, our Divine spiritual Father, is not of this world, the world of flesh and blood. He can not be tested, proven, held, or seen. But, he can be felt deep inside, when one looks for him. To that Catholic Priest, you may now call me "Crazy". Jesus was right "for He dwelleth with you, and shall be in you"

Christians today, as a group, can not claim ownership of Jesus's spirit, it belongs to our divine Father Creator. And he, has no religious preferences. It is his spirit, that will unite the world.....

And now, a word from the "Lion" himself

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I almost fell off a roof once and in the last moment grabbed onto a toilet stack.
Would have fell 50 feet down.
After it happened and I looked over the edge at where I would have landed, I had a spiritual moment!
It think it just happens when all things come together at once.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by puptuls

Isn't it more probable that you had a physiological response to an imminent physical threat? When you find yourself in a stressful situation like that, your heart rate and blood pressure are increased, adrenalin is released, all of which increase respiration, and in some cases has been proven to induce fainting and or or audio and visual hallucinations.

edit on 11-4-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by puptuls

I myself have had many close calls of seeing life partly passing before my very eyes...but, through all of these incidents I've come to realize that death is nothing to fear.....

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join