It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A photo that summarizes todays political world

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I received this by e-mail today. It left me speechless. I just wanted to share it with ATS.
We are all human, regardless of our opinion, political affiliation, religion, creed and morals.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by RageAgainstFascism

I'm a member of ATS and I approve this message.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
One picture worth more than a thousand words, but people still refuse to 'get it' politicians in my country (well, the country I am living in) willfully refuse to see what is slapping them round the face.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Yeah, just another modish and massive over simplification for the masses. No doubt shared by countless thousands on social media without further examination or discussion.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

Just like this one........

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Nice picture OP.

We can also see that both Orient and Occident have no ears, showing how deaf both parts are in relation to the other.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by skalla
Yeah, just another modish and massive over simplification for the masses. No doubt shared by countless thousands on social media without further examination or discussion.

So... what would be better? Another inaccessible and massive over-obfuscation for the few who even see it? Not shared by anybody on social media sites, regardless of examination or discussion?

Do you have something more complicated and boring I could send to enlighten people? Do you feel that when things are complicated and non-mainstream, they are easier to understand?

Do you also hate your favorite bands when they finally make it?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

If we are reduced to communicating or making points via a wholly innacurate dualistic soundbite of a picture that is little more than a bennetton advert circa 1985 then count me out. That pic has no worth in my opinion and just enforces an us/them view which has no basis in reality despite it' attempt to provoke thought. Yawn

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

reply to post by Cuervo

If we are reduced to communicating or making points via a wholly innacurate dualistic soundbite of a picture that is little more than a bennetton advert circa 1985 then count me out. That pic has no worth in my opinion and just enforces an us/them view which has no basis in reality despite it' attempt to provoke thought. Yawn

How do you see that as "us vs them"? It's a pretty darned accurate portrayal of the masses in the east and the west. Western nation have freedom of speech but do not speak out. The eastern nations see what is really happening but cannot speak.

Think about two neighbors. One is on the city council with her voice heard often by many. The other is a house wife who gets abused by her oppressive husband. The housewife is afraid to speak and the council woman is willfully ignorant to those cries she hears at 3am when she rolls over in bed to put in her ear plugs.

There is no "vs". There is only a need to help each other out.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
On a train via my phone so I am having to be brief, but come on - you must know that both regions are infinately more diverse than that breakdown, hence my viewpoint

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I dont get it.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

On a train via my phone so I am having to be brief, but come on - you must know that both regions are infinately more diverse than that breakdown, hence my viewpoint

Then what's the point of objectifying anything at all if not for the luxury of making concepts easier to understand?

It's okay to make that generalization because, for the most part, it's true.

If somebody says to me that smoking kills, my answer isn't "No, man... that's just a generalization. Plenty of living people smoke".

You see what I mean? This isn't a racial stereotype we are talking about here; it's an observation on global society. Of course there are exceptions.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Maybe if it was stereotyping the US vs Iran from somepoints of view, but does the orient pic represent all from Jordan to Japan? No. Its just worthless, and misleading. but meh

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by skalla

Or this one:

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by RageAgainstFascism

Is it wrong that I passed that around the pub for sh1ts and giggles?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Let's simplify everything into stereotypes shall we?

It's part of human nature anyway.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Cool delineation! The Occidental side looks like the chick out of the Animatrix...

The West wins, again!

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
That picture sucks, I don't get it, please go away.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Perhaps it's saying that eye fetishists should move to the Orient, and nose and mouth fetishists should move to the West?
I'm not entirely sure what is implied, although I feel that people should wear whatever makes them feel comfortable.

Perhaps it's saying that Western or occidental women are blind to how revealing their bodies also drives exploitation and sexism?

Ultimately both extremes can be exploitation if they are forced on women.

I'd love to see such a picture comparing male bodies and dress.

In South Africa the Orient/Occident dichotomy is in any case simplistic.

We also have indigenous cultures where traditionally it is acceptable for women to go topless, although it's very rare these days outside specific festivals.

In general however I'm not convinced that the first picture presents more rights for women.
It's certainly informative on why some Muslim women choose to cover their faces in public, and how they would justify it as a form of liberation, but to me it is still unconvincing.
One group of women don't just dress modestly, but totally cover themselves because of what men might think about them.
That's totally patriarchal and repressed.
To assume occidental women are exploited simply because they choose to dress differently is ridiculous.
"Fascism" here can also seem ironic - is the poster against Islamophobia or against religious fascism that would reduce women to standardized, uniformed public ciphers?
This poster could certainly have dual effects.

I suppose it would be like comparing neatly short-haired missionaries (or soldiers) to a picture of punks and pierced, unshaven hippies, and then claiming that the juxtaposition shows the only two masculine roles in society.
Over-simplified at best.

edit on 25-8-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
NWO is the solution, one government, one currency, one religion...and neither of them existing anymore.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join