Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Schizophrenia Symptoms Linked With Faulty 'Switch' In Brain, Study Finds

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Sounds drastic I know but it's certainly an alternative to meds which can have some nasty side effects. DBS can also be constantly modified to follow the changes they go through whereas meds usually can't.

The medication does have nasty side effects. There's also a study that says that it causes brain shrinkage unless I understood it wrong:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

If you have severe schizophrenia this might certainly be a better option. The only problem I have with it is that we don't fully understand everything yet. I volunteer with mentally handicapped people, and one has severe epilepsy.
He has a little machine that sends signals to stop the epilepsy.

It doesn't fully work, there's 70 percent change it doesn't if I remember correctly, he still has seizures but it could be less, and a side effect is that his voice is getting worse. But it might be better as all those medications he would get. Though I haven't heard that he is off those.

Originally posted by geobrohaving schizophrenia means you are never alone
the doctors will give you tablets for the rest of your life if you let them their must be a answer in nature to this rather than a chemical kosh

It may mean that what's adaptive in some individuals becomes maladaptive in others. The chemical they believe, psychiatrists, to be involved is dopamine which plays a normal role in the human mind. There's a lot unknown about schizophrenia. Psychiatrists say it's also not one disease at all. It is several.

There are many theories concerning schizophrenia:

en.wikipedia.org...-7

The brain is a complex organ it will take time before we fully understand.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Cannabis alone no but most illegal drug users will never tell you about there other party drugs..

Many Schizophrenics also self medicate with drugs to stop the voices.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
It may seem strange that nature has something to do with it, so let me give a example.

Cell growth is a normal progress. However uncontrollable cell growth is called a disease, cancer. Something adaptive turns into something maladaptive.

Sickle cell disease is bad for you. But because it also helps against malaria it hasn't been weeded out.

I don't know what the real cause of schizophrenia is. I just thought one theory was interesting.

Originally posted by ANNED
Cannabis alone no but most illegal drug users will never tell you about there other party drugs..

Many Schizophrenics also self medicate with drugs to stop the voices.

Cannabis affects other chemicals in the body, Anandamide. Cocaine and Meth are both involved with dopamine, so according to the dominant theory, the theory that dopamine is involved, makes more sense.

I wouldn't advice drugs, since they can change hormone/chemicals receptors. But I eat dark chocolate every day (releases hormones/chemicals involved with love) and drink alcohol occasionally. I guess those are not harmful because they are in low doses. Maybe that applies to drugs?

I've read a book about dopamine, endorphin, Oxycontin and serotonin and this and a study:
www.nature.com...

That's where I got the statement from that drugs change hormone receptors.

That book might be already outdated because a scientist says dopamine is involved with more than motivation and pleasure.

But we really do not know much about the brain. Here's something I found interesting:

www.psychologytoday.com...

new topics

<< 1   >>

join