It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FOG :)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Canada's Atlantic Provinces have terrible fog in places. I grew up near Saint John, New Brunswick, on the Bay of Fundy and that area is very often completely "socked in". It has to be one of the foggiest areas on earth, in addition to having the world's highest tides.

I can remember summers, when I was a kid, when we hardly saw the sun at all. It's depressing.

I can remember driving with my father and having to check beside the car to see where the white line was on the road as the only way to tell if we were going in the right direction. I am not kidding about this. That kind of thing is rare, but the predominantly overcast and foggy style of weather in that area is the norm, or was, when I was a kid.

Nice post from the OP. The East Coast of Canada is a very interesting place that you don't hear too much about.
edit on 25-8-2013 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
Canada's Atlantic Provinces have terrible fog in places. I grew up near Saint John, New Brunswick, on the Bay of Fundy and that area is very often completely "socked in". It has to be one of the foggiest areas on earth, in addition to having the world's highest tides.

I can remember summers, when I was a kid, when we hardly saw the sun at all. It's depressing.

I can remember driving with my father and having to check beside the car to see where the white line was on the road as the only way to tell if we were going in the right direction. I am not kidding about this. That kind of thing is rare, but the predominantly overcast and foggy style of weather in that area is the norm, or was, when I was a kid.

Nice post from the OP. The East Coast of Canada is a very interesting place that you don't hear too much about.
edit on 25-8-2013 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

I agree it is a fascinating landscape, as you come in to St. John, and that is where I have seen the most fog. Sometimes as good as what is shown in the OP's picture. The route has changed now, as over the years RT2 was moved back inland and made into a widely divided highway, but I really miss the run nearer to the coast through St. Andrews. Progress and safety over beauty I guess. They did do a remarkable job of fixing those roads.

Depending upon how old you are, you may remember what the Airline route was like coming back into the US via Calais. On the way to Bangor, ME on RT 9.... some of the largest climbs and steepest falls on any road I had ever been on. They even had side roads on the downsides, that could be used by a logging truck, if it ever lost it's brakes coming down the road. The truck could pull onto that gravel road and then climb up enough on the next hill to avoid a serious accident. There was fog in the Airline route as well, although not as frequent, making it an even scarier trip if you happened to catch it just right. All of that is changed now as well, as they carved much more level roads directly into the mountains. A phenomenal achievement that took about 30 years to accomplish.

Love this part of our 2 countries!

Damn, I am going to edit this again, because I left out something that everyone just has to do if you ever take the trip to PEI from Boston. You will hit the major town of Moncton before continuing on to Shediac, and then the 7 mile bridge over to PEI..... Stop at Magnetic Hill. It will blow your freekin mind. This is an illusion of illusions, as you park your car on the bottom of a hill, put it in neutral, and the car climbs up the hill on no power. Sure, the landscape is an illusion, but the effect is as real as it gets. Very hard to figure out why this is what it is, but you can spend the time to try to figure it out for days on end. Have Fun!

edit on 26-8-2013 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-8-2013 by charlyv because: content

edit on 26-8-2013 by charlyv because: missed a decade

edit on 26-8-2013 by charlyv because: more content

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Thanks again OP, for posting this thread. It brings back to fondest of memories for me, and I am sure that most of the populace of the Northern East coast of the U.S. have never ventured up North, and that is a big mistake, if you are looking for scenery and culture that is truly out of the ordinary.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I have seen that kind of fog hundreds of times coming over Telegraph Hill in San Francisco :-)

Very very impressive and hypnotic.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

I haven't been in New Brunswick since the 1980s. I grew up there, from age 6 to 21, before returning to Ontario, my province of birth. I love New Brunswick dearly. It was a terrible wrench to have to move away.

Anyway, I haven't seen a lot of the "developments".

I have been to Magnetic Hill though, and you are right. What an unnerving experience to stop a car on it, take it out of gear and then observe as it starts to role up (!!!) that gentle incline.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join