It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interactive map traces 463 of the Bible's contradictions.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
My favorite one is about the ark.

Since the animals all went in two by two (and apparently that only took one day, right, every single species on earth took only one day to get aboard the ark
), what did the carnivores eat when the flood subsided ? More importantly, what did the herbivores eat, since the earth had been submerged for one whole year ?

Also, why did Noah decide to kill and burn a few of them right after the ark hit solid ground, as a sacrificial thank-you to god ? Didn't that kind of defeat the purpose, by rendering a few of the species he saved effectively extinct ?

Finally, the rainbow. Are we supposed to believe that *before* the flood, the refractive index of water simply did not exist ? And if god is perfect, why did he need to create rainbows to remind himself not to drown all life on earth *again* ?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ismail
My favorite one is about the ark.

Since the animals all went in two by two (and apparently that only took one day, right, every single species on earth took only one day to get aboard the ark
), what did the carnivores eat when the flood subsided ? More importantly, what did the herbivores eat, since the earth had been submerged for one whole year ?

Also, why did Noah decide to kill and burn a few of them right after the ark hit solid ground, as a sacrificial thank-you to god ? Didn't that kind of defeat the purpose, by rendering a few of the species he saved effectively extinct ?

Finally, the rainbow. Are we supposed to believe that *before* the flood, the refractive index of water simply did not exist ? And if god is perfect, why did he need to create rainbows to remind himself not to drown all life on earth *again* ?

Do you know what that STORY really means? I can not say that I do!

Is it metaphorical? Is it an allegory? Is it perhaps a STORY that is based in part on fact?

There are many people who do not believe the Bible writing here on ATS who believe in Extra Terrestrial intelligence and that we have in the past been able to develop to an advanced level.

Jesus said that the last days of earth would be like the time before Noah's Flood. Is it possible that before the Flood we had developed in technology of some kind and that we had brought the human gene pool to ruin?

The STORY of the Flood is pre Hebrew. There was no such thing as Hebrews at that time. The whole world was pagan. It is an inherited story from Sumeria.

Some people believe that before the Flood it did not rain as such, that the waters were held in the sky. If that were true then the rainbows could be a post Flood phenomenon.

None of us really know from where we come from. All we have is a lot of strange stones and buildings and some even stranger myths and stories about the early days.

Even science cannot say with certainty how old we are. New discoveries of modern humans are being found going back earlier and earlier.

What is fascinating that there are stories and myths from all over the globe that refer to a Flood.

We have myths of strange gods coming to the earth. We have all these strange buildings that even today we cannot quite mimic.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by instigatah

.......a book that more than any other in the history of the world has shaped the development of the world.

If I were you, I wouldn't brag too loudly about that. Unless you're rich and powerful, or just blindly follow the rich and powerful, a person would have to say that the world is a pretty screwed up place to live. Full of contradictions if I say so myself.

No, you cannot say that about the Koran, the vedic texts, or any other religious work. The bible stands as pre- imminent above all the written works of man, and no matter how its been 'used' by man...it will always stand alone.

Just because it's unique that doesn't mean it's better than other books. The dodo bird was unique too you know. In fact, it's far from unique. Most stories in the bible originated from older stories and were re-written by different people at different times, and if you had an open mind you would research that statement and find it as a fact.

Don't take my word for it, find out for yourself.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by instigatah
reply to post by windword

if it really bothers you why dont you research it? I say again....many of you who appear to have a problem with the bible dont really want a solution to your problem....its much easier to hold onto your apparent contradiction rather than see it for what it is and watch it melt away....leaving you with a much HARDER problem......what do i do if there really is a God and this is his book?

the verse that you quoted from solves your problem.....Jesus was the 'first fruits' of the ressurected dead. In that sense he was the first of the dead to be resurrected because he was the 'first fruits' of them risen from the dead. But if you know nothing about what 'first fruits' is then this whole thing would make no sense.....which it doesnt by your post......

in ancient israel at every harvest time the first fruits were brought as an offering to God.......representing the entire harvest and the BEST of the harvest. The first fruits were to be the best examples of the harvest. Jesus was an offering to God on behalf of man. He was the first fruits of those risen from the dead and as an offering to God, like a lamb also was often the first fruits of all the lambs born by its parents, to be a sacrifice.

so...was that really so hard? again...you actually have to study the bible and know what youre talking about before you make a judgement out of hand that the bible is contradicting itself.

next.....?

I haven't read every response in this thread yet, so if you've already addressed this particular "resurrection" with Windword, I apologize for being redundant. By the way, you're doing an excellent job as far as I've seen in 'debunking the debunkers'.

Windword's pointing to the story of Saul going to the witch of Endor is not an instance of resurrection, but rather divination. Samuel was not raised from the dead, he was summoned in spirit.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
Evidence that your God is a royal prick...
I refuse to be a pawn in his game.

Dude ... we have no choice. God, who is very real, is so much more powerful than us. I've learned that any protests we have against Him are like an ant protesting the giant whose foot is coming down upon it's head. It's useless and doesn't mean anything. We are stuck with the situation. There is nothing we can do about it. Like it or not ... we are His slaves ... or His playthings ... or His favorites ... or whatever. But we have no choice.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
Evidence that your God is a royal prick...
I refuse to be a pawn in his game.

Dude ... we have no choice. God, who is very real, is so much more powerful than us. I've learned that any protests we have against Him are like an ant protesting the giant whose foot is coming down upon it's head. It's useless and doesn't mean anything. We are stuck with the situation. There is nothing we can do about it. Like it or not ... we are His slaves ... or His playthings ... or His favorites ... or whatever. But we have no choice.

That is the funniest thing I have ever read.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

OK.... you have misinformed so much i dont even know where to start.

Firstly, I looked at the interactive map and boy is it funny. I can personally explain each apparent so-called inconsistency or contradiction in Torah. If you are going to make conclusions then please try to read up on the Torah and you will find out there is Oral Torah as well as written Torah and you only take the written and criticize it without understanding that neither can be read alone both written and oral Torah are needed for study.
The written is what you see, but the oral is the explanation of the deeper meaning of the written Torah.

This is like saying Shakespeare work is retarded because it makes no sense and contradict nature. But if you understand that alot of it is metaphors and such then you will get a whole different picture!

Secondly, WTF has the new testament got to do with any of this. It is pretty much obvious the new testament (even if it does contain some truths) is created by constantine along with the roman-catholic religion and can not be compared to Torah. This is just pathetic and makes everything more complicated.

PS. The reason people only ever analyze the Written torah and never the Oral is the following: Apart from the fact that most people could't even find access to the full works of Oral torah, the amount of time needed to read and understand and then analyze the oral torah would take upwards of 30 -40 years or reading 10 hours a day. Its like reading wikipedia and clicking on every link to understand wtf ur reading.

This is why it has become a joke in my eyes when people try to challenge the Torah from a literary perspective. Maybe the field of ancient archaeology would be less of a fail.

Just my two cents as a guy who knows more about Torah than you ( or that sites programmer) will probably ever know! No offence!

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by instigatah

What about this one?

Galatians 3
10 For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse...

Deuteronomy 27
26 Cursed be anyone who does not confirm the words of this law by doing them....

Why did you cut off the Galatians 3:10 verse? Galatians 3:10 continues on to repeat the verse from Deuteronomy 27:26 that you quoted, with an explanation immediately thereafter in the verses that follow.

Galatians 3:10-14 (in full)...

10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Regarding the Mosaic Laws in the Old Testament...

The Law had three aspects and 613 commands. The moral law was the commandments and Decalogue. The ceremonial law was about the tabernacle, feasts, priesthood, circumcision, sacrifices, etc. All pointed forward to Christ. The civil law was about such things as sanitation, crops, quarantine, diet, lawsuits, and crime.

The Law was a rule of life, not a way of salvation. Neither Moses nor any other Jew was ever saved by keeping the Law. Abraham was saved by faith before the Mosaic Law was even given: "And he believed in the Lord; and he counted it to him for righteousness" (Gen 15:6). Moses was saved by faith in God's promises of blessing, and in his promises of forgiveness through sacrifice:

The Law was perverted by the Jew. God never gave the Law of Moses with the thought that anyone (except Christ) would ever keep it perfectly. He gave it as a rule of life for the Jew, never as a way of salvation. But the Jew soon confused the keeping of the Law with salvation, making the two synonymous. Law and tradition became the basis of salvation in the Jewish mind.

thirdmill.org...

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Wow, another anti Bible thread, how interesting!

Who exactly are you trying to convince with this? or, are you just trying to stoke yet another unending theological fight between believers and non believers?

I only ask this because Atheists, Agnostics and Non-Christians are pretty much all set with the Bible already, and Christians aren't going to buy what you're selling here, and considering that there is already a plentiful amount of non believers on ATS, this thread feels a bit like a "preaching to the choir" type of thing, if you'll pardon the expression.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorChaos

Who exactly are you trying to convince with this? or, are you just trying to stoke yet another unending theological fight between believers and non believers?

I only ask this because Atheists, Agnostics and Non-Christians are pretty much all set with the Bible already, and Christians aren't going to buy what you're selling here, and considering that there is already a plentiful amount of non believers on ATS, this thread feels a bit like a "preaching to the choir" type of thing, if you'll pardon the expression.

Because new people join every day, because people who have been brought up to believe in the bible may find that other points of view make sense, for many other reasons, the world is much bigger than ATS.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

First of all, let me just say that there are too many contradictions in this contradiction map. LOL!

The verses that this program compares for lying, aren't using the verses in context.

Regarding John 7, Jesus did not lie to his disciples about going to a feast with them, just because he wasn't going "yet" and then showed up. Someone obviously didn't understand what the intent of the word "yet" was in those verses.

God did not lie when he sent a lying spirit in 1 Kings 22:221-22. A lying spirit asked God's permission to deceive someone and God allowed it. God wasn't the lying spirit. This is no different than God allowing Satan to test Job. It doesn't mean that God told a lie. We all know that God allows people to be deceived when they choose not to listen to him.

So, obviously, this chart is based somewhat on false perceptions of content meaning.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined

First of all, let me just say that there are too many contradictions in this contradiction map. LOL!

The verses that this program compares for lying, aren't using the verses in context.

Regarding John 7, Jesus did not lie to his disciples about going to a feast with them, just because he wasn't going "yet" and then showed up. Someone obviously didn't understand what the intent of the word "yet" was in those verses.

God did not lie when he sent a lying spirit in 1 Kings 22:221-22. A lying spirit asked God's permission to deceive someone and God allowed it. God wasn't the lying spirit. This is no different than God allowing Satan to test Job. It doesn't mean that God told a lie. Text We all know that God allows people to be deceived when they choose not to listen to him.

So, obviously, this chart is based somewhat on false perceptions of content meaning.

Do we?? how do you know that?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by biggm

Because new people join every day, because people who have been brought up to believe in the bible may find that other points of view make sense, for many other reasons, the world is much bigger than ATS.

I find it interesting that you didn't add the opposite possibility to your response, I.E.people that were brought up to not believe in the Bible may find that other points of view make sense.

Whoops, your agenda is showing.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by biggm

Do we?? how do you know that?

Question: "Why does God allow deception?"

www.gotquestions.org...

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I find it interesting that you didn't add the opposite possibility to your response, I.E.people that were brought up to not believe in the Bible may find that other points of view make sense.

No agenda, I agree it works both ways but I was replying to a post that says Christians WILL NOT BUY INTO IT, try reading the post first before you accuse me of something I have not done, good Christian attitude you have there.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

No agenda, I agree it works both ways but I was replying to a post that says Christians WILL NOT BUY INTO IT, try reading the post first before you accuse me of something I have not done, good Christian attitude you have there.

Oh, I read your post, that much should be obvious. Any Christian that has studied the Bible (as anyone who claims Christ as savior should do before anything else) will absolutely not buy into the "The Bible is full of contradictions" argument.
Your remark about accusing you of anything is ridiculous, I merely pointed out your subconscious leanings against the Bible, which was apparent based on your comment.

This whole contradictions debate is so old that it should only be found sitting in a box in the attic next to a treasure map belonging to One-Eyed Willie.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Oh, I read your post, that much should be obvious. Any Christian that has studied the Bible (as anyone who claims Christ as savior should do before anything else) will absolutely not buy into the "The Bible is full of contradictions" argument.
Your remark about accusing you of anything is ridiculous, I merely pointed out your subconscious leanings against the Bible, which was apparent based on your comment.

This whole contradictions debate is so old that it should only be found sitting in a box in the attic next to a treasure map belonging to One-Eyed Willie.

The whole bible story is so old with no evidence to back it up that it should be in a box in the attic, but not with the treasure map because that probably has more fact in it.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

The whole bible story is so old with no evidence to back it up that it should be in a box in the attic, but not with the treasure map because that probably has more fact in it.

Ha ha! I see what you did there!

But seriously, 'No evidence'? Deny much?

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Show me the concrete proof that the bible is fact
edit on 24-8-2013 by biggm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Show me the concrete proof that the bible is fact
edit on 24-8-2013 by biggm because: (no reason given)

Not possible. Faith is required to believe anything presented to anyone. You lack faith, therefore proof doesn't exist regarding the Bible when it comes to you.

Conversely, you could never provide proof that the Bible is not fact to me, since I have faith in it, which of course, makes my point regarding these threads. Nice little circle, isn't it?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join