It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interactive map traces 463 of the Bible's contradictions.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

at what point will it be rediculous to you? i can start on that one by saying that one verse is from the old testament and one is from the new. If you dont know theres a big difference between the two then its pointless for me to hold your hand and walk you baby steps through it...you dont really care anyway and its extremely self evident.

do yourself a favor...if you really are at peace with chucking the bible....then why haunt threads like this? if youre doing it for pure mental masturbation....fine....i like that too....but with every post your losing any semblance of intellectual activity or thoughfulness. Just saying 'duuh, what about THIS? errr...what about THIS?' Its just lame man...really lame.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

windword.....youre reaching pretty hard and far to call me 'angry' that ppl dont agree with me. I really dont care of anyone agrees with me or not. IN fact I consider it entertaining when people parade their ignorance about things as they have done in this thread.....its fun....its cheap entertainment and i enjoy it.

i also like the mental exercise of pointing out where people are wrong in their thinking. I'm not perfect....never claimed to be....but in finding faults in peoples thinking processes i believe it hones my own thought processes just a little bit more.....so thats why im here, how bout you?

you expressed quite a few questions about the god of the bible and the sacrifice of Christ. ITs just dandy is those are REAL questions and concerns.......that would be the first genuine interest in understanding something so far in this thread. So far no one has posted anything that resembles real interest in dispelling apparent contradictions in the bible...which i presume is the basis for many people to disbelieve it or think it irrelevant to 'real' life.

i will say this....i dont really care one way or the other what your questions are if youre just throwing garbage filler paper thin questions...and it appears thats mostly what those are. You, as well as other posters here, appear to have already made up your mind about your world view and what you believe....and thats wonderful......if youre at peace with it...who am i to disturb that peace? I wish everyone had that kind of peace.

But if those are real questions.....then they should haunt you every day.....and you should let no man tell you the answers to them. The only safe manner in which to answer the most important questions in life....is to find those answers yourself. Those of you poking and prodding me or anyone else to satisfy your questions and doubts are just committing self treason of the highest order.

a nice and relevant quote of the bible from Paul, the most highly esteemed of the disciples:

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 timothy 2:15

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by instigatah

James 1
17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

Malachi 3
6 I the LORD do not change. So you, the descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed.

According to the bible, god does not change, so your excuse that one is from the OT and one from the NT implies that he does change. You have created your own contradiction, good job.

Seems to me like YOU are the one who refuses to think about it, you just accept it without thought.

One wonders, if god does not change, then what's up with this little discrepancy?

Exodus 21
24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot

Matthew 5
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.

Apparently god does change, but he doesn't... but he does. Which is it?
edit on 23-8-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-8-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

do yourself a favor...if you really are at peace with chucking the bible....then why haunt threads like this? if youre doing it for pure mental masturbation....fine....i like that too....but with every post your losing any semblance of intellectual activity or thoughfulness. Just saying 'duuh, what about THIS? errr...what about THIS?' Its just lame man...really lame.

No. Your comments are lame. IF you are a christian...
1 Peter 3:15

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear

1 Timothy 2:15

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

these verses and more apply to you. You are the one who has accused everyone of ignorance concerning the bible. Either do as you said, and explain those contradictions. Or keep doing what you're doing right now, and look like so many who have come before you, breathing fire and brimstone, and are now gone.

You certainly don't hold a candle to a few of your other brothers and sister in Christ here at ATS.

Are you glorifying God right now? Or just giving in to your flesh?
edit on 8/23/2013 by Klassified because: edit

edit on 8/23/2013 by Klassified because: edit 2

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

enlightened you do a disservice to your own moniker on this board.

ill do this one last time because explaining things to you feels like smacking a puppy for wetting the carpet...its pointless because it just doesnt know any better....though by your age you should.

do you know what context is? do you know how important it is that things be taken in context? can you imagine living your life out of context? it would be a disaster wouldnt it?

well thats what happens when you cherry pick a verse from this part of the bible and then cherry pick another and see if you can make them fight.....thats all your doing....taking things out of context and creating a pretext....and it leads only to foolishness and destruction.

those two verses, taken out of context as they are, are both very clearly dealing with the same thing....Gods mercy. IT doesnt change.

Principles dont change....but methodologies can. Can you imagine that? Do you think its possible to hold fast to a principle....but change methods or tactics? Do you think its possible to try a new approach? Well if you answered no then youre worse off than i thought.....but if you DO think its possible to have an unchanging principle but methods that DO change then maybe theres hope for you.

ill do this one last time because youre baiting me and as much as i enjoy tasting some fine bait on ocassion.....after a while i crave a real meal.....philosophically speaking.

so heres the breakdown. God employed certain methods in the old testament.....they were brutal to be sure. There are reasons for this that are beyond the scope of this discussion...but it has a lot to do with the fact the israelites were almost retarded by the time they got out of egypt.....not the brightest and most sophisticated bunch.......years of slavery will often do that to people....it reduces their finer sensibilities.

by the time the new testament came around it became obvious that new methods were needed in dealing with people. Does God change? why most certainly he DOES change in his methods...not his principles. YOu can read ALL about this in Romans where paul talks about the law and his frustration with it....if you cared to of course. But what it really amounts to is the law is still there......its still wrong to steal kill, lie, commit adultery and so on....but thank god we are no longer stoned to death for sleeping around, at least by Gods decree. You see, theres this little thing called karma....and its not an invention of some sun staring yogi mystics...its actually a pretty old concept and can be found in the bible "cast your bread upon the waters, for in many days you will find it again" Ecclesiastes 11:1 and other places 'for what you sow that shall ye also reap' etc... in other words its readilly apparent that many of our mistakes bring the judgement of natural consequences upon us making it unnecessary for God to punish us the way he often punished the israelites in the old testament.......NOT to mention that israel was a direct theocracy (form of government) and God was their king and direct ruler, making them subject to direct communication, blessing, and judgement.....whereas later when they asked/begged samuel for a king they became a monarchy of a kind....and later became nothing at all after the diaspora.

The point of all this is that Gods principles...much like the principles of physics which are inextricably connected with the nature of God, CANNOT ever change.....but like water can take several forms....like light can be both a wave and a particle....and other metaphors.....Gods strategy....his methods....CAN and often WILL change and adapt to the situation.

if humans can do this...would you expect less of an omnipotent God? or is it easier and more convenient to put your idea of god in a box where hes easy to manage?

By the way....it doesnt matter one iota what i say does it? if youre philosophical tenants are so whimsical and so easily affected that what I SAY could influence them....then you have real problems. It doesnt matter what i say about the bible or God.....what matters is what YOU discover by a careful, honest, and completely personal study of the material to your ultimate very personal satisfaction. Ive said it before and ill say it again....the only person that can convince you is you.....and if you already are......then bravo.......i personally prefer to have nothing to do with that part.......but pointing out where youre woefully illogical and off base.....ill gladly take that on.

good luck

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

klassified.....you made me chuckle.....thanks for that. But really youre probly about as ignorant as the rest of the people posting so far. You probly know as much about the bible as your little googling fingers do. For example...you probably dont know that jesus said not to cast your pearls before the swine. Well just what do you suppose the pearls were anyway, metaphorically speaking? What was the pearl of great price that the farmer sold everything he had so he could buy the field the pearl was in?

I dont see anyone in here ready to sell all they have for the pearl of great price....do you? If you havent noticed. so far the only things ppl are saying are in jest and antagonism. If you cant read that writing on the wall youre about as hopeless and blind as they are.

Also...who says im a christian? did i say i was? I could be the devil or just some guy that studied religion in university. The devil came to Christ quoting scripture....so what?

as for the verse about having an answer to those who ask of the hope that is within you......how many people here have asked about that hope.....and exactly WHAT hope is it that they would be inquiring into?

you see, your post fails on every point. Youre simply upset that i can very easily and quickly point out the copious errors presented so far....or are personally riled at the things ive said for your own reasons. Be that as it may....its not about you or me....but supposedly about this book called the bible which the OP created this thread about. You see, in the spirit of denying ignorance....i enjoy pointing out the falsehoods and misapprehensions of people about the bible....because i personally believe its divinely inspired and just all around an amazing book and historical record. Everything else on here....is basically fluff....including what i say. But hell, ill say it because i can and its fun and maybe ill piss someone off enough to get off their lazy arses and actually investigate the things they think they know so much about.

revelling in ignorance is really dangerous.....

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

do you know what context is? do you know how important it is that things be taken in context? can you imagine living your life out of context? it would be a disaster wouldnt it?

You blame me for cherry picking bible verses yet you have no problem with those who wrote the NT cherry picking OT verses to "prove" Jesus was the prophesied messiah. That's called a double standard.

The point of all this is that Gods principles...much like the principles of physics which are inextricably connected with the nature of God, CANNOT ever change.....but like water can take several forms....like light can be both a wave and a particle....and other metaphors.....Gods strategy....his methods....CAN and often WILL change and adapt to the situation.

Could you cite a verse that says god changes his methods, or are you just pulling that out of thin air to support your presuppositions? The bible clearly says god does not change, nothing more or less, so please show me where you got this new information from.

NOT to mention that israel was a direct theocracy (form of government) and God was their king and direct ruler, making them subject to direct communication, blessing, and judgement

According to Romans 13, ALL governing authorities are under god's rule and are ALL his "servants" and "agents of good". Can you imagine your loving god dictating the governments today? Remember that god doesn't change, so Romans 13 still applies today just as it did back then.

if humans can do this...would you expect less of an omnipotent God? or is it easier and more convenient to put your idea of god in a box where hes easy to manage?

This is extremely ironic, because it is YOU who put god in a box, ahem book.

Again, show me where you get the idea that god changes his methods but not his principles.

One last thing.

those two verses, taken out of context as they are, are both very clearly dealing with the same thing....Gods mercy. IT doesnt change.

So how does god smiting his enemies without mercy in 1 Samuel 15:3 equal Jesus telling us to love our enemies and turn the other cheek in Matthew 5:39?

If god's mercy does not change, why does Jesus say to love your enemies and have mercy on them while Yahweh says to smite them without mercy? Yeah, he doesn't change alright.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Going to the page and looking at what is there is not hard to evaluate one section is listed as
Scientific Absurdities & Historical Inaccuracies
Cruelty & Violence 
Misogyny, Violence & Discrimination Against Women
Discrimination Against Homosexuals 

These are not contridictions these are some person opinion of how they think it should be. Show me a contridiction in the Old Covenant compared with the Old Covenant. We all should know that the New Covenant is not to be compared to the Old Covenant it is two diggerent Covenants.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by guitarplayer

Show me a contridiction in the Old Covenant compared with the Old Covenant.

Incest is wicked... Yes or no?

Leviticus 20:17, 19 And if a man shall take his sister, his father's daughter, or his mother's daughter, and see her nakedness, and she see his nakedness; it is a wicked thing.

Genesis 20:12 And yet indeed, she [Sarah] is my [Abraham's] sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.

Exodus 6:20 And Amram took him Jochebed his father's sister to wife; and she bare him Aaron and Moses.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Gen was written before the law was written. The Law was delivered to Moses about a thousand years after Abraham. Yes Abraham was a lier he said his wife was his siter so they would not kill him and taker her. You can not hold someone to the law before the law was written. So show me another conflict.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by guitarplayer
reply to post by Akragon

Gen was written before the law was written. The Law was delivered to Moses about a thousand years after Abraham. Yes Abraham was a lier he said his wife was his siter so they would not kill him and taker her. You can not hold someone to the law before the law was written. So show me another conflict.

Alrighty then...

Whos daughter was Bashemath?

Genesis 26:34 And Esau was forty years old when he took to wife Judith the daughter of Beeri the Hittite, and Bashemath the daughter of Elon the Hittite.

Genesis 36:2-3 Esau took his wives of the daughters of Canaan; Adah, the daughter of Elon the Hittite, and ... Bashemath Ishmael's daughter

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

You should be careful making assumptions. Already there have been 2 or 3 people in this thread who have nearly the the decades I had deeply involved in Christianity.

I never said you were a Christian. I said IF.

My post obviously succeeded. At least in what I needed it to achieve.

Youre simply upset that i can very easily and quickly point out the copious errors presented so far....or are personally riled at the things ive said for your own reasons.

I haven't seen you make a real attempt to explain anything yet. With the exception of one on the first page. All you've done is toss around snide remarks about what you think you know, and when you were called on them. You had no answer for those inquiring.

Riled? Not in the least. I've had exchanges with far better than you on here. And at least I respect most of them. Something you have little of for anyone else. You have no pearls to cast before the swine. Of that, I'm certain.

Ahhh. Nevermind. You're right. I should never have bothered. Your name and join date explain it all. My bad. Discussion over. You won't be a member here for long, anyway.
edit on 8/23/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Star for you my friend. I love and envy people like you who have the vocabulary to say the things so eloquently I want to say to people like these. The bible is full of contradictions because it was written by man to corral man, nothing more

There is a creator, I have no doubt of that, Everything has to come from something, but the "God" in the bible? nope if we came from there then I reject him A "God" so full of love wouldn't constantly threaten us with eternal pain for a moments misjudgment

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

That's not to mention that according to the bible, every human who ever lived was born from incest, whether it be from Adam and Eve or Noah's family. We're all products of incest!

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

There was actually 6 Bashemath in the geneology of Esau or Edom. From looking into the name of Bashemath there were different ones from different tribes that Esau married and the listing of geneology in Gen 36 tends to show only the side that is decended from Abraham since all others were of diffent tribes and did not count in the schem of thing.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Apparently, almost everybody is ignorant except for you.

It's not that these are other people with their own opinions based on what they saw directly from the bible, no, it's that they are all lower than you and you have a higher intellect and comprehension so everyone who doesn't agree with you is therefore "ignorant".

Interesting....

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Why do people think christians think the bible is some kind of perfect book anyways is a better question.I rely on the bible for faith and prayer and learning about God.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Jobeycool

Why do people think christians think the bible is some kind of perfect book anyways is a better question

People wouldn't think such things if "Christians" didn't regurgitate that kind of garbage on the regular...

The bible is the word of God so its perfect and infallible... except its not...

IF I had a nickel for every time I've heard people state this openly...

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jobeycool
Why do people think christians think the bible is some kind of perfect book anyways is a better question.I rely on the bible for faith and prayer and learning about God.

Because most Christians tout it as being perfect. And if you are one who believes it is not perfect. How do you decide what you can trust, and what you can't, regarding "learning about god"?

reply to post by Akragon

Great minds Akragon.

edit on 8/23/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Jobeycool

Probably because it's true.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join