Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Legislature OKs Bill To Let Non Citizens Serve On California Juries

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Controversial measures allowing legal immigrants who are not American citizens to serve on juries and as poll workers now await action by Gov. Jerry Brown.

SACRAMENTO — Legal immigrants who are not American citizens would be able to serve on juries in California under a bill that lawmakers sent to Gov. Jerry Brown on Thursday.

The measure joins a proposal already on the governor's desk that would also allow legal permanent residents to serve as poll workers in California elections.

The bills are among a handful that would expand immigrant rights in California and have
sparked rancorous debate in the Legislature.
www.latimes.com...

Herein lies one large problem. Non citizens, even though they may speak English could hardly be
considered a jury of peers. I would say "Only in California" but that wont last long.
Coming to a State near you?

Looks like the only hope of this not becoming law is if Jerry Brown vetos the bill,
which is highly unlikely.

As for the poll workers; also part of new legislation awaiting Browns approval,
that seems less egregious, even though they would not be required to provide
I.Ds (how does this even work LOL), yet they are not citizens, and have not taken
an oath as foreigners to support and defend the Constitution.

“taking the Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America in the formal naturalization process requires prospective citizens to swear allegiance to the United States of America and to support and defend the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America.”

Crazy days indeed.
edit on 23-8-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
It's obviously a bad idea.

Does this even merit discussion? Well, maybe it does, because somebody somewhere is clearly going for it.

Weird. But I guess not surprising.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta

Does this even merit discussion?

Well, there is a whole state, California that will be affected by this.
Fortunately for a lot of us it is not something that we would feel to have
a direct immediate impact on our life, I suppose this only affects us if we
find ourself in need of a jury of our peers. However, there is a huge burgeoning
prison population, complete with the machine that keeps it going.

I dont see this as a postive step for freedom and justice for all.
Just my take on it.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
So basically, to many these days....U.S. Citizenship isn't worth toilet paper to print on.

Pathetic...and it isn't the value of the citizenship itself which has changed, I think. It's the quality of leaders who has so little respect for the nation or state they serve. Some seem to hold the people they serve in outright contempt. Moonbeam would be among those, in my view. Mr. Malathion. Gov. Doom on a stick.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
So the political traitors in the nation now wants to hand out the same rights under the law to non citizens in the nation in order to keep eroding the difference between none citizens and citizens.

I can no find any other word for the bastards doing this but traitors.
edit on 23-8-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Does this even merit discussion?

Well, there is a whole state, California that will be affected by this.
Fortunately for a lot of us it is not something that we would feel to have
a direct immediate impact on our life, I suppose this only affects us if we
find ourself in need of a jury of our peers. However, there is a huge burgeoning
prison population, complete with the machine that keeps it going.

I dont see this as a postive step for freedom and justice for all.
Just my take on it.

What I was implying was that everyone knows that this is a bad idea and something should be done about it. I can't imagine how there could be a real debate. Everyone that shows up here will have to come up with more than "one line" describing what is the obvious. What will eventually happen is basically people will start throwing blaming fingers. That's all that will happen.

And we wonder why they are able to get away with it. How to slow the sheep in flock? Blame game played by the insane. Therefore do they point and mock! What remains but evil in the fast lane?

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

You said it Wrabbit, I know that is his nickname LOL. For a good reason too,
in any case I am sure he will sign it, this is all probably part of a larger conspiracy,
you know say....like the one in Congress right now.

Where to begin, its a convoltued mess for sure!
While there may be some immigrants that are bound for the proper
process of becoming a citizen, I would imagine that many of them
are holding off to see if they perhaps will be allowed easier passage
by way of new legislation on immigration reform.

To the ones who are bound for the proper process, Kudos to them and I
wish them the best. In the mean time, this bill is sheer madness I think.

I really dont even know how this is feasable, how in the world can they
think that this would allows justice to be carried out fairly?

I guess I find myself a bit shocked right now, feeling insulated from it,
but I know that is unrealistic. In todays increasing prision planet
it seems now more than ever we would need to have assurances in place
for a fair justice system.
ETA the shock is wearing off, I am getting

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I live in calif. and even as a left of center guy, I think that is totally wrong....geez....GET YOUR CITIZENSHIP FIRST, then you can serve on all the juries you want to. I swear, sometimes we shoot ourselves in the foot with this type of crap.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
So the political traitors in the nation now wants to hand out the same rights under the law to non citizens in the nation in order to keep eroding the difference between none citizens and citizens.

Marge, very good point! While jury duty is hardly a joy, nor usually do we find ourself
eager to lose wages and be tied up in court, it is a right as a citizen, and the rights
of those who need to stand trial to be afforded a jury of their peers.

This is a slow and steady erosion of our rights as citizens, granting them
to people who are not, and are merely here passing through. The potential
for this to create chaos, havok and worse is great. The implications are far
reaching....

I do like your summation at the end of your post. You said it well.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I wish California would secede from the US already. I would support them in such a venture.

This country is being usurped by treasonous bastards and foreign influences NOT located in central or south America but elsewhere. This is a staging ground for something else and the former colonies are being used against a former colony (US).

At least its getting easier to see who our enemies are........

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

And we wonder why they are able to get away with it. How to slow the sheep in flock? Blame game played by the insane. Therefore do they point and mock! What remains but evil in the fast lane?

I will tell you how they get away with it, it is a plan they have proceeding and it is working
well. We, as voters here in California have little say. We can vote on something, it becomes
law, then someone challenges it and it is taken all the way to the Supreme Court, where
the law the majority voted in is overturned.

This would be the same way. It does appear that we can count on our elected
leaders to dismantle the United States from within.

It would take pages of posts to detail the sheer chaos this will create, and
might I say that I do think this is the intended purpose, that and utimately
to put an end to The Constitution.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
******hear yea,, hear yea********

Trial by jury became an explicit right in one of the most influential clauses of Magna Carta, signed by King John. Article 39 of the Magna Carta read:
"WHEREAS by the great charter many times confirmed in parliament, it is enacted, That no freeman shall be taken or imprisoned, or disseised of his freehold or liberties, or free customs, or be outlawed or exiled or otherwise destroyed, and that the King will not pass upon him, or condemn him; but by lawful judgment of his peers, or by the law of the land…"

Abolition of the Star Chamber July 5, 1641:

An act for the regulating of the privy council, and for taking away the court commonly called the star-chamber.

"lawful judgment of his peers",,his fellow man.

Cause all men are created equal right,,
,,,opps not there yet ,, not till a place called ,,,AMERICA,,comes into existence.

so grow up???

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by tadaman

At least its getting easier to see who our enemies are........

True that.
I could go into details on Jerry Brown, but I will spare everyone.

Just a clue, he has been Governor TWICE. How is that for
a lifetime politician. LOL.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Well at least we still have Peremptory Challenge.
Call it elitieism if you must. Sigh......

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

The Constitution IS the people.

The Constitution means "Stand all together". Pieces of paper do not, neither do words, stand. But people stand.

The document's namesake is a description of what the people are saying and doing. The paper itself is nothing.

If the people do not carry within themselves, and with each other, those words expressed on that document, what is the use of it?

A piece of paper is nothing. A letter is nothing. What is the paper and the letter without the living souls to apply them?

They don't seek to shred a piece of paper. That is nothing. They seek to shred the people. But because the piece of paper represents the faith a few still have in the bond of citizenship in this country, they want to dismantle that piece of paper, obviously, to kill faith. But peoples' faith should not be in the piece of paper.

We stand only by our faith.

So they seek to destroy our faith.

Faith in what? That's not the question. It's a matter of where is your faith at?

Do you desire love and freedom for all? Then stop allowing injustice directly around you. Stop writing and/or pushing for new laws (A law is a boundary; you cannot set people free with a law, but you only create a new boundary. Now only by removing laws can you destroy borders, which have become so intertwined and close that they choke the people. But then once you destroy laws, then you can bring back a law to prevent all those other laws. One border to allow grazing on much land, as opposed a million borders to allow no grazing on land crapped upon).

People keep wanting to fix problems with laws. People want to complain and blame.

People say, "you must vote!" But you're just voting in the current system. How lame.

Change who you are as a human being. Start acting like a human being. Start having mind, heart, and soul. Care about everybody. Lay no pointless boundaries. Only set boundaries that defend freedom, and remove all boundaries that take away freedom.

The people once lived in a Castle called the United States of America. And the people dug and built a proper mote, that anyone that should attempt to enter must enter in by the bridge, which is drawn by the gatekeepers, whose authority comes from the council. And there are archers to defend against those seeking to attack from afar. And soldiers to fight off external offenses and constables to maintain peace within the streets.

But the United States of America did a bad thing. It treated some people poorly, and like less than human. And therefore, those people sought revenge.

But they were patient, and they knew the castle was so strong that they would surely have to defeat the United States of America from the inside.

And they thought, "Troy was magnificent. But look how it was defeated. We will do the same."

The Trojan Horse.

And the council, because of their pomp and arrogance, told the gatekeepers to let any bearing gifts inside the gates.

And so the bridges were drawn, and condom after condom after condom after condom entered into what was the mouth of the Castle; and soon, it will become the anus. For all the waste that has been laid after the destruction of the Castle by the parasites that found their way in, for revenge, that waste will be thrown out the front gate, and will be thrown into the mote, and it will be filled. And the waters will be bitter, and the trash will pile up, and the streets will be in chaos, and the homes destroyed. And the women and the children...

And so it is today.

And this is because of the sins of the fathers. They became arrogant and allowed inside the gift bearers. And the gift bearers gained control. And now they let the plunderers in the gates to destroy. And we are become dung. And we will be thrown into the mote to drown.

Unless........

Somebody of worth steps up and starts screaming, "It's a trap! IT'S A TRAP!"

But how the condoms have been tossed all over our castle, and the seed has spread out all over the land and infected it.

The only way pirates have a say on a ship is if they rule that ship.

Therefore are the original sailors become prisoners.

And what will the governor say to the prisoner when the prisoner says, "According to our rules...!"

And the governor will say, "Wait, what? Your rules? Whose ship is this, fool?"

So therefore, there must be a prison break. Until the shackles have been destroyed, and the prisoners re-equipped, and there is a leader to guide them to victory, then how can the ship be restored?
edit on 8/23/2013 by TarzanBeta because: Pieces of paper do not...

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Thought provoking post....yes.

Every country has its failings, and I dont find the U.S. itself to be
The Great Satan. Much of what is done politically in the international
front is not the U.S. per say, it is the Fifth Column at work from inside.
Which is at work in all of the Super Power nations. ....

Who said "We are on the verge of a Global Transformation..."
Jerry Brown is a little cog in a very big wheel.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Well actually only Earl, and Barons,, could sit in judgement of Earls and Baron's,, lol, meh were u goona find 12 Baron's today? lol

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Thought provoking....yes.

Every country has its failings, and I dont find the U.S. itself to be
The Great Satan. Much of what is done politically in the international
front is not the U.S. per say, it is the Fifth Column at work from inside.
Which is at work in all of the Super Power nations. ....

In case you didn't know...

The USA today is not the same corporation as the USA yesterday. Our USA is in shackles. If people think they are serving the same master, they are wrong.

It's not a fifth column, it is the whole column. It is just the ignorance of the people that sign up to serve are those prisoners that said, "I don't know why for I got these shackles, but I know that they come off if I work for you, so that's cool!"

It's not thought-provoking, it's the blooming truth.

The current powers are nothing like the former. How can you even think of them as the same?

It's not mutiny if the people against which you fight were never your leaders!

Think reasonably. If it is your government, then how come your vote means nothing?

Because it's not your government, that's why.
edit on 8/23/2013 by TarzanBeta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

I can no find any other word for the bastards doing this but traitors.
edit on 23-8-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

Abso-f***ing-lutely.

It's to the point now that Linda Ronstadt's lover boy pushes me to work harder
everyday to get out of this 'progressive' state.

Keep in mind the limousine [SNIP] who write these laws don't live in the same neighborhoods
with these people, they're hiding in their cushy, gated, planned communities.
Ugghhh.
edit on 23-8-2013 by Yngvarr because: (no reason given)
edit on 8/23/2013 by AshleyD because: Mod edit: Removed Political Name Calling

The End of Political Baiting and Sniping on ATS (was ALL MEMBERS READ)
edit on 8/23/2013 by AshleyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Think globally? Global citizens? It has to start somewhere and the soil in California is fertile.

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join