It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jury convicts Nidal Hasan on all charges in Fort Hood shooting

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Jury convicts Nidal Hasan on all charges in Fort Hood shooting

www.cnn.com

Fort Hood, Texas (CNN) -- [Breaking news alert, 1:37 p.m.]

A military jury has convicted Army Maj. Nidal Hasan of 13 counts of murder and 32 counts of attempted murder in a November 5, 2009, shooting rampage at Fort Hood, Texas, making it possible for the death penalty to be considered as a possible punishment.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 8/23/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Just being released now.

Been charged with all counts, found guilty on all counts.

I suppose this was a pretty cut an dry case.

military jury considering the fate of Maj. Nidal Hasan, the Army psychiatrist charged with massacring soldiers at Fort Hood, Texas, resumed deliberations Friday morning in the death penalty case.

Hasan is charged with 13 counts of murder and 32 counts of attempted murder in the November 5, 2009, shooting rampage at a deployment processing center where prosecutors say he targeted soldiers he was set to deploy with to Afghanistan.

~Thoughts?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8/23/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

No surprise really, he didn't put up a defense at all. He wanted to be found guilty. Now, just avoid the death penalty as that's exactly what he wants. Life sounds good, let him sit and rot.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I thought this case was pretty cut and dry as well. From what I have read, he was guilty without a doubt.

But I find it funny that we find him guilty of murdering people....and then will most likely kill him for it.

Hypocritical? Just as immoral?

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Here's the question. Is a person, like that, worth 80 to 120 thousand a year of tax payer money?

That's what it will cost, every year, to keep that man in jail, properly fed and provided all the wonderful benefits of the prison system, when you're in 'protective' custody, which he would no doubt be in.

IMO it's not worth it. There are some things, that deserve death. Mass murder is one of them.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

There are some things, that deserve death. Mass murder is one of them.

And status as a martyr in the same process? That is a fine line to be walking.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by hoagy1199

One man's criminal is always another man's martyr.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
This guy should have been delcared a terrorist from the onset, and his victims get all the rights they are due.

Pretty damn sad the current government threw those victims under the bus for political agendas.

Hasan deserves what is coming to him.

Take that $300 grand he got paid for waiting for trial, and distribute it to his victims, and their families.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I can understand where you're coming from. I do not think it is our place to take a life unless you have no other choice and it costs so much to keep people locked up because too many people are worried about the "rights" of prisoners.

Maybe if American prisons were complete hell-holes, it wouldn't cost so much and people may actually be deterred from doing things that would get them locked up.

In my opinion, the death penalty is hypocritical.

Sorry. Didn't mean to be off topic....this isn't about the death penalty.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Wasn't Hasan's 'right' to play judge,jury, and executitioner.

Was it?

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
I thought this case was pretty cut and dry as well. From what I have read, he was guilty without a doubt.

But I find it funny that we find him guilty of murdering people....and then will most likely kill him for it.

absolutely immoral. Just because the state sanctions a homocide does not make it just or appropriate.

Lots of "bad things" happen under the guise of being validated by official action.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I gave you a star Neo, because you are right. Hassan deserves what he gets.

I'm just asking...if we put him to death are we any "more moral"?

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I've seen this "breaking news"
a couple of times this morning.

There should be rules on calling news "breaking"

He called himself the shooter, said he himself was guilty, and was actively seeking his own death penalty.

I think he would have staged his own protest if he wasn't found guilty....

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Here's the question. Is a person, like that, worth 80 to 120 thousand a year of tax payer money?

Absolutely not. I believe they ought to put out a flyer to those victims who survived and those family who might be interested for service on the Firing Squad. Heck, make it one of the Ft. Hood ranges, just for that special touch of poetic justice. Let him die without hope and by the means he delivered that fate upon so many others.

If they can't find a volunteer? Call me.. I can make time in my schedule and the country isn't that big. I'll drive wherever they would see fit to end this terrorists life.

(I understand the ....irony, some seem to see here. I do, but I cannot agree. He looked people in the face while pumping bullets into them, point blank, as unarmed victims. I was JUST as vehement about the conviction of SSgt Bales for doing a similar atrocity in Afghanistan...so I'm 100% consistent, too.)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Nah don't worry about it

I get it, trust me I'm against the death penalty for most crimes, including just regular old murder.

There are a few though, like crimes against children or mass murder, than well, I'm OK with that.

There's no reason that we should bear the burden of keeping somebody alive and healthy, when they showed such blatant disregard for the life and safety of others.

In those certain circumstances.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I find and all expenses paid by the taxpayer for life in prison to be immoral while those victims, and their families will be forced to pay for it.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
reply to post by neo96

I gave you a star Neo, because you are right. Hassan deserves what he gets.

I'm just asking...if we put him to death are we any "more moral"?

Here is the difference between Hasan and the 'state'

Hansan was just a cold blooded killer.

The state uses the death penalty for the preservation of life so that people like that will never do anything like that again to others.

edit on 23-8-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

There are a few though, like crimes against children or mass murder, than well, I'm OK with that.

I can agree wit that. I'm a father, as I believe you are, and would not think twice to support the death penalty for someone that.....well, messed with kids.

But in other cases, I don't support it. I know my stance is hypocritical, but I admit it.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I do not trust the state to make such decisions. Hassan may be a cut and dry case, but there are many stories of people being put to death and we find out later that they may have been innocent.

Who's accountable for that? Should we really trust the state?

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Trust people to dish out their own justice ?

or

Trust the state to dish out justice ?

IF neither the people or the state has the 'right' to dish out justice then that leaves us at an impasse.

People will still murder,and do their other things we are famous for.

A society is only good as it' laws

A society is only good as those laws are enforced.

A society without either is no place any of us wants to live in, of course won't even have the choice as most of us will be dead, because the 'state can't be trusted'.

Now what ?
edit on 23-8-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join