It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TEPCO Asks For International Help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Japan’s nuclear regulator has concluded that the Fukushima nuclear plant’s operator was inadequate in its inspection of radioactive water tanks after news of yet another leak. TEPCO earlier admitted it will now require international help.

Looks as if Japan's version of the NRC has concluded their inspections and have deemed that this problem requires an international solution. About time considering that this is a global problem. I'm just glad to see them getting down from their high horse and admit they need help.

TEPCO has also now admitted it will be seeking international expertise to help out with the leaks. "Many other countries outside of Japan have experienced decommissioning reactors, so we hope we can consult them more and utilize their experience,” TEPCO’s vice-president, Zengo Aizawa, said at a news conference on Wednesday night. "In that sense we need support - not only from the Japanese government, but from the international community - to do this job."

I wonder if they are referring to the Russians, as they are the only other nation that i know of that has had a meltdown. They are also the only other nation to have to clean up a nuclear disaster.

"Fundamentally, for a facility holding that kind of radioactive water, they did not take action that foresaw the risks of possible leaks," Fuketa said at a press briefing in Hirono. "On top of that – and this is an impression I had before my visit – I can't help but say that the inspections were careless."

The contractors hired by TEPCO have failed to properly document the inspections causing them to use resources unwisely, and causing a focus on other aspects of the disaster while not covering all their bases.

I'm just glad they are finally asking for help, something that should have been done two years ago.

If this has been covered already please let me know. I searched but didn't find it yet.
RT
edit on 8/23/2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Too little too late. The damage has been done and is continuing. At least they are admitting it now but I can only imagine that once international teams are deployed there they will quickly realize just what an impact this will have globally.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta

I'm just glad they are finally asking for help,

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I don't think we should be building so many of those plants if we haven't figured a way to get rid of all the problems associated with possible accidents. I also can't understand why we don't take care of the nuclear waste instead of putting it into concentrated storage areas. It seems like all we are doing is pushing the problems onto future generations. That problem has been escalating for a couple hundred years or more now.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Its all about the profit margins, and they are huge if Nuclear is done right.

I agree wholly on the subject. Its too dangerous to have this many Nuclear disasters in the making laying all around the globe. So many of them are in seismically active regions. They should have sealed reactor systems and put these things in the desert out of the way of most habitable areas.
edit on 8/23/2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Just 2 years too late, but nice gesture....

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I've questioned why the world didn't address this from the start.

A bit late for help. A way to deflect some of the future problems away if others end up involved. Mankind, in general, is no longer about doing what is right, it is about doing what looks good or creates wealth.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Hey, what's with all the cynical attitudes? I am glad to hear that they're admitting there's a problem. That means they can work towards a solution.

It's a much better future now than when they were band-aiding the problem and ignoring it. Frankly, this is good news to me.

It's never too late.

edit on 23-8-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Its because of the two and a half years of deception.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

When something like this happens, all the countries should just go and help without expecting to get reimbursed. What happened to good Samaritan actions. This disaster could happen to anyone, it should not be a money maker to help fix this kind of stuff. The risky places these plants were put into was a mistake, they should look at this practice worldwide. Instead of pointing a finger, the powers of the world should have come together and dealt with this emergency, for free, and looked at possible problems within their infrastructure at the same time. The world did not learn much from the Russian accident I guess, saying that this cannot happen to us...What a pile of crap, overconfidence built on self deception.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
You know what they say rickymouse? Tell a lie enough and you will begin to believe your own BS.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta

TEPCO has also now admitted it will be seeking international expertise to help out with the leaks. "Many other countries outside of Japan have experienced decommissioning reactors, so we hope we can consult them more and utilize their experience,” TEPCO’s vice-president, Zengo Aizawa, said at a news conference on Wednesday night. "In that sense we need support - not only from the Japanese government, but from the international community - to do this job."

I wonder if they are referring to the Russians, as they are the only other nation that i know of that has had a meltdown. They are also the only other nation to have to clean up a nuclear disaster.

you forgot the US.
the country that had the first well known "meltdown". remember "three mile island" in 1979? or has that "little incident" already been forgotten by history? then there is ALSO: Idaho Falls in 1955, The SL-1 reactor, located at Idaho Falls in 1961(wow that is TWO problems in Idaho Falls
), The Enrico Fermi experimental breeder near Detroit, Michigan in 1966,

www.pbs.org...

--1955 November -- An experimental breeder reactor about 50 miles west of Idaho Falls, Idaho, partially melts down during a test. The cause of the partial meltdown was attributed to operator error.
--1961 The SL-1 reactor, located at Idaho Falls, goes out of control causing a rupture of the building. The damaged core was reported to have emitted radiation at a rate of more than 500 rems per hour.
--1966 - The Enrico Fermi experimental breeder near Detroit, Michigan is the site of what is considered an "uncomfortably close call," as its core partially melts. Although a runaway reaction was prevented, the reactor was permanently disabled.
--1979 - Equipment failures and human error contribute to an accident at the Three Mile Island nuclear reactor at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. A series of events led to the worst nuclear accident in U.S. history.

even Great Britain has had problems with reactors. so they also may have some expertise that could be used.

1957--The Windscale plutonium production reactor catches fire spreading approximately 20,000 curies of radioactive iodine across Great Britain and northern Europe.

i wonder how many other accidents around the world have been covered up and are unknown to us?

I'm just glad they are finally asking for help, something that should have been done two years ago.

funny thing is i seem to recall TEPCO REFUSING outside HELP after the accident.
one almost suspects that they may not wanted outside help as then they could not keep it quiet about just HOW BAD things were. as well as the "possible" "secretexperimental site" that was talked about early on in the disaster.

all in all this way this disaster has been dealt with has seemed to be more about containing facts and downplaying the seriousness of it, than actually dealing with it, fixing it and cleaning it up.

i guess things must be really bad now that they are "asking" for help. i just wonder how MUCH WORSE it is then we are being told?

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by generik

Good post. I did not know about two of those incidents. Thankfully they are tiny by comparison.

I really have concerns with the material contaminating the aquifer and the water that passes through it.

Most of that area of japan is made up of layers of gravel and sand and other stuff. Everything that goes down through the soil and makes it into the layers that water flows easily, It could spread the radiation into the fresh water supply.

top topics

join