It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recent experience at Wal Mart reaffirms why I don't shop there.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Did you really just say that you got irritated with an elderly woman after 5 minutes? Wow....how patient of you. Especially since you can not even be bothered with actually having the same last name on all of your ID's. Nice.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Poor Sam Walton, I often imagine him spinning in his grave. He worked so hard to build an honest company that valued it's employees and the customers. He wanted to provide value for dollar. His offspring have completely screwed the pooch as you pointed out, mblah. It is all about the money for them and it shows in how they treat vendors, customers and employees.

I have also noted a reduction in choices. Instead of carrying two or more major brands and a generic, they only have one major and a generic, and now the generic is a brand i have not heard of.

I live like another poster in a small town and Walmart is pretty much it. We have one other grocer and the prices are higher, but I shop there anyway more often, because everytime I shop at Walmart I leave disgusted.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I used to date an accountant of a very well reputable Japanese corporation. Well when we went to Walmart together, it was expected every single time we went; that I would wait in the car. Due to the fact that my math savy partner would be standing in the customer service line demanding the money overcharged on our receipt. Im not talking like occasionally. im talking every single time!
I would pay the fee give the recipt to my partner and just say meet you outside before the errors were even calculated, because we both knew they were there. it was uslaully just a few dollars off full cart of groceries. But it was more about the principle of the matter to my Japanese partner.
edit on 24-8-2013 by Foxy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   

I think most of the problem is that the main company simply doesn't care, and they don't train their people to care. If someone has a good experience, it's because their local employees are of a better quality than in most of their stores!

When we lived in Florida, I had some ridiculous experiences with the Walmart closest to us. We lived in a fairly decent area, with nice homes, and so forth. Not "upscale", but above average. The Walmart that was close was horrible, though! Being a night person, I would frequently shop fairly late. Thus, a close, 24-hour store was convenient. Not this one, though! The guys doing the stocking would almost run you down with those pallet movers, and actually act as though you didn't have a right to be "in their way". I actually had to tell them I was NOT moving, because I was shopping on that aisle, and they could wait. I had moved three times already, in literally under a minute and a half. That was one issue.

Another was, the store was NEVER clean. Like, ever. Late at night, too, they had whole sections blocked off to "clean floors". Seems all of them do that. Strange, how the 24-hour grocery store here manages to buff their floors, which are always spotless, without closing off a third of the store!

The real kicker was the night I went to buy my husband a watch. His birthday was the next day, and we had to wait till payday to get the one I wanted. So, I go in at night, about 10:30 or so. I knew exactly what I wanted, and asked the store manager on duty if he could open the case, and walk the watch to the front so I could buy it. The guy flat out refused, claiming he "didn't have keys". I knew that wasn't true, because I had seen him open it before for an employee to replace a returned item one night. Furious, I headed to what was called the "ghetto-mart", another Walmart in a not-so-good area. There, I was greeted nicely, and had no problem at all getting the watch, having it brought to the front to ring up, and even got a nice smile and farewell from the manager that helped. The closer Walmart never saw me again.

Where we are now, I rarely go, unless it's some item that is FAR cheaper there, or that I can't wait for another place to be open for. I got tired of them deciding what brands and package sizes I was allowed to buy, dropping tons of things I had bought in the past, and the overall poor quality of virtually all their "fresh" foods. Even something like blank DVDs, I won't buy there, because they sell ONE brand only. One. The people at the Target couldn't believe it when I told them about that. In many cases, the Walmarts stock the cheapest quality items they can, and won't carry decent stuff.

Their stores certainly aren't what they used to be!

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SammyB0476

Did you really just say that you got irritated with an elderly woman after 5 minutes? Wow....how patient of you. Especially since you can not even be bothered with actually having the same last name on all of your ID's. Nice.

It's not the OP's fault she was old and incompetent is it? Anyone employed in the service sector has to at least be able to do their job. And people get married all the time; it's quite common for people to have differing names on ID. It's not like you can just call a couple of people and magically everyone has your new name.

Back to the OP..

I've worked with people like those before. Never willing to do anything, and never willing to back down if it may damage their ego a little bit. There's no professionalism anymore. I currently work part-time at cash till for a small supermarket round the corner. It's soul destroying. A little bit of me dies everyday I go in there, but I'd never let that affect the service I give.

I'm lucky though. I'm about to go in to 4th year of university and move on to better things; maybe it's even harder working in these positions full-time, knowing that you're gonna be stuck there for the rest of your working life.

Terrifying

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

One time they were a decent store. Before everyone started doing it, I think Walmart was the first to get nearly everything from China. But I avoid going to Walmart. Kmart or Target for me.

edit on 24-8-2013 by 1loserel2 because: typo

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
They are forgetting the basics of retail cash handling and customer service.

1. Always place the money handed to your on the lip of the register before counting out the change. If you do it wrong, you will see. If they complain, you can show them since you have not put what they handed you in the drawer yet.

2. State aloud what they are handing you...that is (the amount of sale) out of (the amount of money given). If credit card, state it "on your Visa" and check for a signature.

3. Never argue with a customer, you will always lose, even if you win.

4. Be polite, calm and call for a manager if necessary. If you think you may need a manager's help, you do.

5. Apologize, it costs nothing. "I'm sorry for the confusion. We will get it resolved." You have admitted nothing other than the person is confused, you acknowledge their situation and assure them it will all get figured out.

6. Resolve the damned thing as quickly as possible.

I am amazed at the lack of simple basic customer service knowledge in these stories. People that cannot do the above should not be working in retail or anywhere else with customers.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
OP, I can feel your pain. Most of the time I find the employees to be courteous enough. However, I generally don't ask them anything that will tax the relatively limited intellect I have typically seen them display.

On one occasion I was double charged for an item and immediately brought it to the attention of the cashier. She was apologetic, but she couldn't help me because the transaction had already completed. So, I had to go to customer service to get the small amount refunded to my credit card. The sales-child that helped me was rude and clearly not happy with her job. I remember praying that my daughter, the same age as the young lady behind the counter, was not that rude to the customers in the store in which she worked. My daughter is affected with "chronic bad mood disorder."

On another occasion, I had purchased a relatively cheap car radio and I had to return it because it was defective. When I went to the automotive section of the store to find a better quality unit, the salesman in that department asked if I needed some help. I told him what I was looking for and he went to a rather obscure shelf located next to the tires and showed me a nice quality unit that came with speakers that cost the same as the lower quality unit that I had returned. I would not have found this great deal without his help. My heartfelt thanks and broad smile was greeted with a similar broad smile and I got the distinct impression that this gentleman felt a great deal of satisfaction with helping me to find what I was looking for.

Now, I have found one technique to be quite satisfying when dealing with rude sales-humans without getting angry. I call it the Gowron maneuver: A bug-eyed, growling, teeth-clinched, hissing "thank you" delivered with a psychotic stare reminiscent of Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal Lecter. Of course, in order to appear genuine, you have to visualize disemboweling them with a Klingon Bat'leth and eating their liver raw. And it helps if you are slightly psychotic to start with. Most of the time I can detect a subsequent distinct uneasiness in their demeanor.

Of course I would never disembowel them and eat their liver raw... I don't like raw liver...

Dex

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
The only time I've ever had bad service at a wal-mart was in the tire/lube center which I no longer use. Sorry for the bad luck.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Yeah, it is so bad that we only go there when it is the only place that will carry an item in our small town. Other than that, we avoid it like the plague.

It is as if having an ornery disposition is a prerequisite for employment. Even when I tell the cashier, 'Hello. How are you today?' they will usually ignore me. Or when we're done checking out I'll say something like, 'Thanks I appreciate it,' only to maybe get a 'Yeah,' in reply. The customer horror stories are a mile long so I won't even bother typing. lol

Oh I know! Here they don't even look at you and if you talk to them it's like you are interrupting them. I try and start small talk and be nice but they make it almost impossible!

I remember one time I was fixing the stockings. They were all over the floor and messed up. It was like someone took all of them off the shelf and put them on the floor to get the ones they wanted. Well it is habit for me to straighten while I shop. It's either my OCD or years of working in retail lol Well the lady in the dept came over and started YELLING at me for making a mess. I told her I was straightening it and putting the items back. She got pissy and said I made a mess and I immediately took everything and tossed it back on the floor and said "have fun." I went to the manager and he said they have had problems with her!! I was like then why is she still here?! I was trying to be nice and help her. It is just how I am when it comes to messy retail areas lol My friends tease me how I straighten racks while I shop. It's a habit!

It's like alien pod people- they're so miserable to the point it actually makes me feel sorry for them. In stark contrast to our local grocery store. Another alien pod people feel but the exact opposite- everyone is SO FREAKING NICE and helpful. I've never seen anything like it. It's like smiles are plastered on their faces, some wear dress shirts and ties, a carryout at every lane, all lanes open, the store is so clean, local fresh produce, etc. I love HEB.

Yea our local store, Publix, is awesome! The people are soooo friendly and nice. I love going in there. Heck the one I shopped at while pregnant was amazing. I had to use a motorized cart lol I felt silly but they were always so helpful. When I had my son I brought him in so they could see him since they helped me for the last 5mths get my groceries.

Walmart just has a dirty, oppressive, soul-sucking feel to it. On one hand it is teeth-grinding frustrating dealing with their 'I don't give a hoot' employees and on the other I just feel bad for anyone who is so damn depressed and grouchy all the time!

It seems they are miserable there for sure. I mean it's not hard to work in retail really, you just have to be a people person and if you aren't retail isn't for you no matter what store it is.

My first job was working for my dad at his restaurant and I had to deal with some TOTAL ARSEHOLES as customers. It really can chip away at your psyche after a while. So I do have some sympathy. But as a customer, it is frustrating.

Oh I know how bad some people can be to sales associates but it's part of the job. You have to learn to not take it personal. I've worked in customer service in one form or another for years. I think the worst was when I worked retention for a cable company. Those people always yelled and cursed at you. I was the dept they sent people to who wanted to cancel service and my job was basically to kiss their behind to get them to stay AFTER they yelled at me. lol

A couple yrs ago I worked for Zales customer service and i had one guy bring me to tears, first time ever! I honestly felt for the guy and why he was upset. I was more upset that I couldn't help him so I let it get to me. I got really frustrated with that job because they cared more about sales than customer service and I LOVE customer service and when I can't do my job right it gets frustrating because I felt like i wasn't doing my job for the customer.

IMO customer service is a dying form and is nothing like it use to be 10yrs ago.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Yea what upset me most was when I called from the car while feeding my son and he refused to look my order up with the number! I mean was it that hard?! NO! Names get misspelled often esp my maiden name and my married name can as well since it's a common name but it has an extra letter in it that most don't think of.

I asked him nicely many times and he just kept cutting me off and being short and saying he already did this when in actuality he didn't do anything the old lady did. All he did was come and be very rude to me for no reason. He shouldn't be a manager at all! When I was a manager I did everything i could to please the customer ESP if my associate messed up!

That is a great idea with the serial numbers. I tend to use my debit card mostly and if I have cash I pay attention but now I will definitely do what you suggested!

Sadly it is a common way for people to steal money without blatantly stealing it. It confuses the associate and when there is a line or it's busy they usually give the person their money and then later on when counting their register they realize they had been had! I've seen it happen many times in retail.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
The place is dirty and the people who work there seem to be idiots.
People complain that Wal Mart employees don't earn a living wage.

A lot of those people should be glad they even have a job, considering their ability levels.
(not all of them ... but a bunch of them!)
We go sometimes because there are certain products that they have that other places don't.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Once the woman found your item I would have asked to see the manager. When the manager showed up, I'd say, "This woman deserves a raise. In fact, she deserves your job, because she just had no problem whatsoever achieving what you're either too lazy or too stupid to."

edit on 8/25/2013 by AntiNWO because: editing is fun

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I will spare you all the details of some of my similar walmart experiences.I just wanted to star and flag you.

Did you know that lower level Walmart employees... ahmm I mean; Associates are not allowed to know the first or last name of their department managers? They only know the name of the main store manager because it is printed at the top of every receipt.
I recently needed to know the name of a manager and asked some friends of mine who are Walmart Associates what his name was. They had worked with this man for 2 years and none of them knew his first or last name, they only knew him by 2 initials. ie: TK
Come to find, this was true for all the department managers, all were know as BJ or JD etc... When I asked a check out girl (whom I did NOT know personally) she told me All the department managers are only known by 2 initials and none of us here know their real names.
Why ? thats very Weird.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
E-mail the people at Consumerist.com - they love to post stories about terrible customer service.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

$35 bucks and I got to pick the sizes so I saved about $60 bucks

Not to nitpick, but saying "$35 bucks" is like saying "35 dollars bucks", because the dollar sign ALREADY signifies that you are talking about "bucks" indeed. So why put it there, if you are going to use the slang-word "bucks"? Or, why say "bucks", if you are already planning to use the dollar sign? Using BOTH of them looks really ridiculous, because it is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join