It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima operator pleads for international help as radiation crisis deepens

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by GaryN

If we follow that logic, then the explosion in a nuclear bomb (which uses the same fission process in a much higher state of criticality) would not occur because a nuclear bomb is not water-cooled and thus the neutrons emitted from natural decay are too fast.

It is true that vaporizing water will cool the core, just as it will cool anything. The most efficient industrial climate control systems use evaporational cooling. It is NOT TRUE that this will reduce the velocity of the emitted neutrons; the velocity is due to the change in mass between the original material and the fission products (E=mc²). It is also NOT TRUE that higher-velocity neutrons will not split other nuclei. It is NOT TRUE that a baseball thrown at a high rate of speed by a professional pitcher cannot damage what it hits because it is moving too fast, while one lobbed around by a five-year-old can do so.

The decay of U-235 (or any atom, really) is caused by it absorbing energy from the neutron that hits it. That energy is translated into kinetic energy in the particles and this kinetic energy causes them to break apart if the kinetic energy exceeds the bond strength between subatomic particles. Higher velocity equals more energy, which equals more of a chance to disrupt the forces binding the atom together... not less.

That site just goes to show anyone can put anything on the Internet.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

That site just goes to show anyone can put anything on the Internet.

I think I'll believe MIT before I believe the kind of stuff you do. Are you on enenews.com payroll too?

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by GaryN

Nope, no payroll.

Feel free to believe what you want. It won't have any effect on Fukushima, nuclear power, or physics in general.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Finally! TEPCO is asking for help. I know many are wondering, `Why did it take this long for TEPCO to ask for help.` Well, I live in Japan and have so for many years so I can offer a little insight into this. It is one part cultural and one part straight up slime ball greed.

Japan is a nation which is all about saving face. Fukushima is highly shameful for the Japanese people. Shame is a huge part of Japanese culture. Remember the Japanese people, a long time ago, totally cut themselves off from the rest of the world for about 1,000 years ago on purpose. While that was a very long time ago it still effects the culture even to this day. It is not easy for them to ask for outside help. To the outside world is seems like stubborn pride, and in some ways it is, it is more about shame and facing face. They don`t like to show the outside world things about their nation unless they got it under control. So, for them to come out like this and beg for help is a huge cultural event for them.

Now for the slime ball greed part of this. The Japanese nuclear industry really wants to keep nuclear power going inside of Japan. The current hard right-wing government of PM Abe open the door earlier this year for NPP operators to apply to restart permits after the government approved `new safety standards.` Several companies have applied including TEPCO. Also, PM Abe has been traveling around the world trying to sale nuclear technology to other nations. I know that is sick but that is exactly what they have been up to.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
How much radiation can the human body tolerate?
"Albert Stevens (1887–1966), also known as patient CAL-1, was the subject of a human radiation experiment, and survived the highest known accumulated radiation dose in any human.[1] On May 14, 1945, he was injected with 131 kBq (3.55 µCi) of plutonium without his knowledge or informed consent."
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Apparently the government is stepping in to help Tepco. They are going to try to build a coffer dam type wall around the site of the Fukushima plant to isolate groundwater from the site, if possible. They currently have a massive problem with groundwater seeping into the site and becoming contaminated and then seeping into the Pacific Ocean.

This report is worth watching.

edit on 1-9-2013 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I am surprised that Japan finally asks for help and no one answers. We should have been all over this. Every time I think about this I can't help but remember Red Rain and a documentary called Black Rain. I feel bad for Japan. Also I picked up a can of Tuna yesterday in the grocery store and noticed it was a product of Thailand. Is this normal?

I never looked before but I also haven't bought any since the incident because of the species traveling habits. Anyhow just throwing that out there. I am not a Tuna expert.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
both the Russians and the American have vast knowledge and experience in underground nukes

drill a shaft for a Nuke to be lowered underneath the Fukushima nuclear reactor ruins
set off the nuke and create a huge cavern and fuse all the fuel rods and run-away reactor cores into a mass of stuff that cannot leak radioactive water into the ocean

plain & simple....

now having the culprits repay the global population for the devestation they are causing is another issue

so...you have hundreds of nuclear fissionable rods, and the only way they can keep them from going critical is to keep them cooled by water. and you want them gathered together in one place and ignited by a nuclear blast?....how big of an explosion do you want?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join