It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe's new refugees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

“You walk around in the centre of Buenos Aires and it’s like being in Spain. I strongly recommend it to anyone struggling there who sees no future prospects. Why not emigrate? You can still go back to where you came from at any time,” Blanco said.

But not all of Europe’s new economic refugees are heading to countries that are a simulacrum of home. While many Portuguese migrants, for example, naturally opt for Brazil because of its thriving oil-rich economy and common language, others are looking to make a home in more unexpected places, such as their nation’s former African colonies of Mozambique and Angola.

In Lisbon, long lines form outside these two countries' embassies - an unusual sight in the capital of a European state which only a few years ago was the target of economic migrants coming the other way. Those waiting for visas for Mozambique hope to find opportunities in a country whose economy has been boosted in recent years by the exploitation of coal and natural gas and which since the mid-1990s has been politically stable.

For the most part, they are well received. Last year, according to the Portuguese consulate in Maputo, there were 17,000 registered Portuguese nationals living in the southern provinces of Maputo, Gaza and Inhambane and the number is growing. However, the true figure is hard to determine because there are many Portuguese who arrive in Mozambique on a tourist visa and then find an illegal job in the shadow economy. Once their visas expire, they leave the country and then return again, as tourists. This has recently forced the Mozambican authorities to tighten border controls and expel dozens of Portuguese who have abused their permits.

www.aljazeera.com...
I have been following this trend for some time now about a yr or so ago there was a big news splash about Portuguese moving to Brazil and Angola as economic refugees plus the fact that Angola bailed out Portuguese banks and poured heavy money in Portuguese industries causing Portugal not to go the way of Greece,but can these African nations and Brazil afford to be generous given the plight of most of their ordinary citizen,seems to me they have a ways to go before they become that beacon of light on that shining hill yet their elites are buying up prime real-estate in Portugal like crazy.

Need to keep up with these trends globalism into the unknown.
edit on 23-8-2013 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Would be great if this worked with Britain's former colonies.. Australia here I come!!

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
Would be great if this worked with Britain's former colonies.. Australia here I come!!

Oh Australia have mad money spoke to a couple that just returned from there,plenty of jobs with great salaries.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Spider879

The times, they are a changin'! It's interesting to see more wealth being generated in Africa, but it's a terrible shame that so much of it is being rinsed by Corporations and that the trickle down to the general populace is overall pretty meagre, despite the growth of a western style middle class there.

edit on 23-8-2013 by skalla because: get thee behind me, oh mis-placed apostrophe!

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
With half of Europe moving into Britain I'm tempted once I'm a bit older and have the means I'm tempted to bugger off to Canada or Australia

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by skalla
reply to post by Spider879

The times, they are a changin'! It's interesting to see more wealth being generated in Africa, but it's a terrible shame that so much of it is being rinsed by Corporations and that the trickle down to the general populace is overall pretty meagre, despite the growth of a western style middle class there.

edit on 23-8-2013 by skalla because: get thee behind me, oh mis-placed apostrophe!

Rule by corporations my friend..If you are into intelligent science fiction pls check out Continuum

new topics

top topics

join