It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Software is getting worse because of morons!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

I just came across an article which mentions that Firefox 23 has rem oved the option to disable JavaScript and it angered me enough to write this thread. Honestly who comes up with these ideas?

Firefox 23 removes the option to disable JavaScript from the Options pane — and if you had JavaScript turned off, it has been turned back on. This contentious change derives from the fact that disabling JavaScript breaks many websites — and some people might turn off JavaScript without actually knowing what it does, resulting in unpredictable and frustrating behavior that the user might blame on Firefox. JavaScript can still be disabled via about:config or with add-ons (such as NoScript).

So because so many morons shoot themselves in the foot by disabling JavaScript... they just figure "hey lets just remove it". So now to disable JavaScript you need to mess around with the about:config page, which is a hassle and probably more dangerous than just unticking a simple box to disable JavaScript.

Come on! Can't they just put a warning near the check box or make it harder to find the check box and disable JavaScript? And it's not even the point if there are add-ons which allow one to easily disable JavaScript because there are situations where one cannot install add-ons and some people prefer a vanilla installation of Firefox.

I know it seems like I'm getting much too worked up over this, but it just annoys me, especially being a web developer. I hate it when idiots cause my software to become less functional and harder to manipulate... but it happens all the god damn time. It's like each update actually downgrades my software. Windows 8 is like the prime example of software becoming completely useless due to an excessive catering to morons.

Everything needs to be laid out as big shiny buttons and huge text for these idiots to actually work it out... and in the process it becomes dumbed down the point of no longer being useful and the complex tasks actually become way harder than they should be because they are hidden away in some obscure corner of the system.

And what about the timing of this... TorFox recently also had JavaScript re-enabled by default. I mean why the hell would anyone want JavaScript to be enabled by default in TorFox for christ sakes? It's made for people who know what they are doing... people who like their privacy and chose TorFox because they though it was privacy orientated.

It seems highly suspicious to me that Firefox and another browser based on Firefox (an earlier version) would experience an unsolicited re-enabling of JavaScript at approximately the same time. If you've been following the recent news about the Freedom Hosting bust, you'll know that the NSA actually used JavaScript exploits to track TorFox users.

Many people believe that the NSA some how had a hand in getting JavaScript enabled by default in TorFox, which is obviously the case because the JavaScript exploits where discovered on Freedom Hosting websites right before the business was shut down by the feds. There's a conspiracy at foot here folks... I've always trusted Mozilla but now I can't.
edit on 23/8/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
This gets more suspicious with every article I read...

One of the small changes we didn't notice in our recent coverage of Firefox 23 recently was the fact that the option to disable JavaScript has been removed. It isn't mentioned in the list of changed features and Mozilla isn't making much of a fuss about it.

www.i-programmer.info...

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Thank god for linux. Hopefully this will mean more people will see the light of day and migrate to it. Maybe they should steer clear of GUI's to keep the tards at bay.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior
Thank god for linux. Hopefully this will mean more people will see the light of day and migrate to it. Maybe they should steer clear of GUI's to keep the tards at bay.

Personally I don't mind Windows 7, it's really the only decent Windows operating system imo. I use both but it depends on what I want to do. I tend to use W7 mainly because there's a lot of software I use which is hard to find for Linux systems.

And I also like GUI's, if I come across an app without a GUI I will attempt to create one because it's just so much easier to click a button than type the same command a million times. It's about efficiency and speed in my books, modularity and code-reuse.

That is the way of the lazy programmer... why do something the hard way when it can be done an easier way. The problem is when the GUI's become overly simplified and superficial, to the point where they can no longer be used by professionals who seek advanced options.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Morons indeed. For example comparing AOL which was an internet service to windows 8 which is an OS. Since most people have been told that Windows 8 is bad they just go along with it and since everyone has been told that apple is now the cool thing that is what people think is good. Was not sure about the point of that first photo as AOL is still in business and making lots of money every year.
Aside from the security issues with java there is not really a problem with having it enabled because I would have to say 99% of the people using Tor are just doing it just to do it and are not doing anything important enough to worry about getting tracked down. The best example i can give as far as idiots who think they need Tor is on Facebook, people just love to show off to their friends about their knowledge of big brother and all the privacy crap RIGHT afterwards they udate their status to show everyone where they are going,what they are doing and who they are doing it with.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

Morons indeed. For example comparing AOL which was an internet service to windows 8 which is an OS. Since most people have been told that Windows 8 is bad they just go along with it and since everyone has been told that apple is now the cool thing that is what people think is good. Was not sure about the point of that first photo as AOL is still in business and making lots of money every year.

The point of comparing the design of W8 to that earlier AOL design is to point out how similar they are... the big box layout and all the bright colors... it's like history repeating its self. And I have used every single Windows OS since Windows 98 and I can tell you that W8 sucks majorly just like Vista does.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   

lol yes, windows 8 which is more secure,faster and smaller than windows 7 sucks...
Lets be honest, you were told that it sucks so you repeat that saying and you are having trouble adopting a new GUI. Its cool, there is nothing wrong with that. My dad had a really hard time learning the new TV remote and was convinced it was crap.
You have been using windows since Win98? Is that supposed to mean something? I'm not even 30 yet and was on DOS and Win2.0 before Win95 even came out.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

lol yes, windows 8 which is more secure,faster and smaller than windows 7 sucks...

More secure you say? I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were you. And if it's smaller that just indicates to me that a lot has been taken out of it, Vista and 7 were not smaller than XP. But you are correct, my main problem is with the GUI, but it has nothing to do with the fact that I can't use it, it's that I refuse to use it because it's so poorly designed. I can handle the boxy layout on my xbox, but it's the last thing I want to see on my PC. And I know you can get software like Classic Shell to bring back the start button but that's not the point either, there should be an easy way to do that from within W8 without needing extra software.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

More secure you say? I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were you.

Yes, its more secure...

And if it's smaller that just indicates to me that a lot has been taken out of it, Vista and 7 were not smaller than XP.

You really don't know much about coding do you? Are you one of those people who build websites and call yourself a "developer"?

But you are correct, my main problem is with the GUI, but it has nothing to do with the fact that I can't use it, it's that I refuse to use it because it's so poorly designed.

And there you have it, you just can't adapt to something new. I do find it funny how so many people will say it was so simple and designed for children but at the same time will say they can't use it. And its true, that is why old people cling to their old stuff- because they can't pick up new things the way younger people can.

I can handle the boxy layout on my xbox, but it's the last thing I want to see on my PC. And I know you can get software like Classic Shell to bring back the start button but that's not the point either, there should be an easy way to do that from within W8 without needing extra software.

There is an easy way to do that within windows 8...Maybe computers are not really your thing. Have you tried apple? Slightly on the expensive side but it will also serve as a facebook machine and there are plenty of programs for you to web develop with. You really can't be claiming to be that experienced in windows and be having the issues you are having.

new topics

top topics

join