It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Colossal waste of Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
The colossal waste of Time

I put it to you that everything we do may be in fact a colossal waste of time. What is the ultimate
outcome of the indivduals achievements, the societies achievements, and the humanities achievements is it not the constant of it all turns eventually into a junk pile of rubble and dust consumed in the harrows of the universal grinder, until which all them human filaments of memories and passions once having populated the landscapes of human folly are no more.

Are we building bridges that go really no where but only lead to the open mouth of a infinite grinder, which chomps heartily away on misadventures of the fools and brave at hearts who wander into the reality of the timeless zone.

What do you think?
edit on 22-8-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Achievements as far as the monitary goes is indeed a waste of time because in the end one can't take what they've earned with them...

The illusion of the need for material possessions leads the awakened soul to depression... And worse... Eventually said person comes to the conclusion that life has no meaning

We are taught from a young age to value the material world... When in fact we should be taught to place the material world second to spiritual things.

edit on 22-8-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
i came to that same conclusion years ago when everything i was doing at work would be ripped down and redone every 3 years just for the sake of change .

i thought what is the point so i decided to retire and enjoy my life
how many people actually do anything positive on a daily basis for mankind .

some people shuffle papers for the whole of their lifes does that do humanity any good

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Most everything we do is a waste of time. What isn't is relationship oriented -- love, caring, having fun with our family, friends...kindness to others...giving a helping hand...caring for the earth around us...

You could argue those things waste time too. But, at the end of our lives, those are the only things we really treasure.

My job, a total waste of time. Busy work. Doesn't even help the bottom line. Doesn't much help the customers. Hardly helps the employees. But even if it did, it still would be a waste of time. Everything crumbles. I guess it just matters how I interact with everyone around me during the day at work -- with kindness, respect and understanding.

In the end, the stars go out and our little planet is empty. All the great civilizations will be gone. All the learnings, poetry, music, dance, art, genius--will be gone. The beautiful creatures and trees will be gone. And no one left to remember.

Okay, now I've thoroughly depressed myself

But - we only have the present moment. Here, Now. And that is everything.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Galadriel

But - we only have the present moment. Here, Now. And that is everything.

Ok I liked that.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Dear AthlonSavage,

I put it to you that everything we do may be in fact a colossal waste of time.
This should not be a surprise to you or anyone here. Science tells us frequently, and in clear terms, about the Heat Death. Everything in the Universe will be dead, just the barest fraction above absolute zero. And nothing will be alive or functioning anywhere.

That's why I believe, and really, that's why anyone can believe, that humans outlive the Universe, that humans are indeed immortal. Welcome to the land of the super-natural, the land of angels, demons, and God. Welcome, in short, to reality.

With respect,
Charles1952

P.s. No, I'm not making an argument, I'm stating a belief, one that's logically coherent and emotionally satisfactory, but a belief. - C -

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Dear Akragon,

Thank you, the Psalms are beautiful and wise. Not my favorite reading, but I go there when the Spirit calls.

For me, life is not a colossal waste of time. I need it all to train myself, to prepare. I will survive, you will survive, we all will survive. Nothing else will.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

How can we judge time wasted?

Life lives...

Let the universe take care of itself.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
In the grand scheme of the universe, everything would be a waste time. It really comes down to the individual and what they want, or if they could be content with what they have done in their life.

The world never stops spinning or going around the sun, but tomorrow still never comes, does it.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

30 some years ago, a guy named Robert Ringer wrote a book called "Winning through Intimidation". Much like the book, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", the title is a poor representation of the contents.

Anyway, at one point in the book, Mr Ringer proposes the Ice Ball Theory which basically states, you shouldn't worry too much about anything, because eventually the Earth will be a big ball of ice no matter what we do.

I think there are some universal truths that become obvious to most of us individually, over time. It's difficult to convey what those are to other people, because until you have your own revelation, it's just so much blahdeblah.

Nature works in harmony and balance and human nature works the same way. It's when we fight it that trouble ensues both internally to our emotional state and externally to the world at large.

The more we can be cooperative, accepting, understanding and all that other new-agey crap, the happier we'll be and the better off we'll all be. Blahdeblah.

See I believe it, but I mock myself because I know how it sounds to hear someone else say it, or to read it when someone else writes it.

Whether you think life's a waste, or you don't... you're right. In that way, we very much create our own reality.

Blahdeblah.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
With what we know today everything we do effects our environment. The next issue is do such effects have any quality beyond what we are doing?

Of course there are some who claim that it makes no difference whatsoever and this is because as they state there is no reciprocation for as an example the Universe from such activity.

Materialist site the Universe was created randomly.Though there is not any real specific technology, that exist today, that can actually generate a purely random event.

Some also cite the matter of radioactive decay. But just because we currently have no way to accurately predict when a radioactive decay will occur does not make it random.

The same in retrospect is applicable to randomness with respect to quantum mechanics in general.

Any thoughts?

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I dont think there is such a thing as "a waste of time".

Everything we do is from the actions of another. When you eat, someone picked that food, when you throw out your trash, someone will come get it, if you drop a piece of bread, a bird picks it up to eat it.

We are all part of each other. If we all thought that we should do nothing, because in the end it doesnt matter, we would all just wither and die.

Example, you wrote this thread and gave me something to do.. see, time that I may have wasted I just shared with you

Peace, NRE.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Hi there.

The Daily grind.

I was taught in School to share my toys.
It seems that this teaching has now been forgotten. Maybe because I don't have any toys these days. (Apart from my car)

Elders said, work hard and succsess will come. I.E. The good life.

When we think about the good life, there is a lot of materialism in that. There's also the basic enjoying the sunrise and sun set.

There's countless things in life which can make us happy.

A factor in what determins this is social group(Peer-pressure) as well as upbringing. Your moral intention may be good, but in your greatness how many diffrent people will you affect? You may become the owner of a business and employ staff who will become relyant on the wages you pay. Or would you hold a bit back from your employees because if you give them a wage rise you'll have too wait another year to get that car.

Guess what I am saying is, each to their own and despite sounding cliche, life IS what you make it.

It may be two steps forward and three steps back, but that's life... none of us will get out alive anyway.

We are the cogs in the machine, all working, doing our part, earning a basic wage. Spending on bills, and scratching around till the next pay day. Then repeating this again and again. It does seem like a waste of time. But then again, you can go against the grain and change this.

And do something that you think is worth your time.

eee.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Precisely, in relation to Quantum Mechanics, Relativity, Chaos theory and even Classical Mechanics (Determinism), otherwise alternative considerations require way more evidence than exist today.

Materialism in all honesty really has no valid explanation in respect to consciousness for many reasons.

Any thoughts?

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I believe there are souls out there who have a different understanding of memory and are never worried about forgetting themselves, their knowledge including memory and techniques and surroundings they built for themselves so they won't fade away.

In a way they remember all of us so in that respect no one is forgotten but that which animates the memory of others is in an eternal sleep until one of them might choose to awaken said person for whatever reasons.

But for everyone else, yes people are wasting their time but it's not like there are many choices. Those few who try to evolve and develop themselves sometimes succeed or not, it takes a lot of determination and giving up on most of the things the majority of people do.

new topics

top topics

join