It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama proposes bigger federal role in college funding

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Saying the rising costs of college are punishing students who’ve played by the rules, President Obama on Thursday said he’ll ask the federal government to take a broader role in lowering tuition costs by rating schools based on their educational value, and trying to tie future taxpayer aid to how well schools do.

Money,money,money the stuff that pipe dreams are made of.

“So some point, the government will run out of money, which means more and more costs are being loaded on to students and their families,” the president said.

Gee?

Ya Think Obama ?

How about stop blowing it then eh ?

Since the government takeover of student loans:

The Obama plan calls for the U.S. Department of Education to move from its current 20% share of the student-loan origination market to 80% on July 1, 2010, when private lenders will be barred from making government-guaranteed loans. The remaining 20% of the market that is now completely private will likely shrink further as lenders try to comply with regulations Congress created last year. Starting next summer, taxpayers will have to put up roughly $100 billion per year to lend to students.

The Quietest Trillion

It has ballooned up to $1 trillion dollars plus:

Federal student loan debt tops $1 trillion

Half of that trillion dollars has yet to be repaid:

Half of $1 trillion in federal student loan debt not repaid

And the last piece of this total insanity :

Government takeover of student loans EPIC FAIL.

Oh yeah Obama that's making 'Government smarter'

What a oxymoron or just a moron ?

Rinse and repeat the bubble 'success', as we have seen so often.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Sounds like a solid plan, dump more money into a failing system so you can pump out people with mainly useless degrees with no job markets..

Who stands to gain I wonder. Would throwing more money at the problem really provide quality education?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7
Sounds like a solid plan, dump more money into a failing system so you can pump out people with mainly useless degrees with no job markets..

Who stands to gain I wonder. Would throwing more money at the problem really provide quality education?

Agreed since that plan is Cloward, and Piven.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Typical Mob tactics. If you can't go after the target directly (Schools to order social change) then take over what they need to survive and then use IT to break an arm and knee cap as necessary to FORCE the change.

He's NOT a damn king! I'm really getting sick of this and the whole story on this suggests some real ugly criteria with bias possible all over the place. Actual INTEREST rates, as well as the amount a student would be able to get would become subject to the ratings system assigned to schools.

Oh,.. Good GOD... Like "No Child Left Behind" didn't show how BAD an idea any sort of "standard rank" in Education is. I really want to be in a University that is so financially tied to the impact of it's score that nothing else matters.

edit on 22-8-2013 by wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Raise the top tax rate and subsidize public colleges for 100% of their tuition. Private schools will still exist if you want to take out a loan.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
Raise the top tax rate and subsidize public colleges for 100% of their tuition. Private schools will still exist if you want to take out a loan.

How about NO. ?

Sorry people need to do what millions of American's use to do before.

Work their ways through college.

Millions of Americans have done this

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I say stop all federal loans, if you want a loan go to the bank. After a few years of declining income and attendance these overpriced colleges will lower their rates.

Just my humble opinion.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Beginning in 2015, Mr. Obama said he’ll have the Education Department release a scorecard of colleges that provide the best value. The formula would look at affordability, measured by tuition costs compared to how many students are taking loans or are on scholarship; productivity, measured by graduation rates and the earnings of graduates; and “access,” measured by the percentage of students who receive federal aid.

The White House said that by 2018, after the scorecard has been refined, federal funding would reward those schools who take low-income students and do well on the rest of the formula.

So THAT 'plan' sounds like He is suggesting to 'Federalize' colleges !!!

Thousands of colleges have millions of 'students'.

How can they possibly 'measure' the 'measurements' with 'measurements' ???

Oh wait.... that would be the 'commie' way I think.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
So, El Presidente Obama is pushing for even BIGGER government?! Please wait here while I go and put on my shocked face.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Nah, we'd be better off paying college students to go to college. Give them some incentive, fail too many semesters and you can't go back. Have fun with that HS diploma or pay for college yourself.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

Why would I want to pay kids to go to college who do more partying, and mating than they do studying ?

Government subsidized baccanalia ?

Nope.
edit on 22-8-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

How would that be any different than what happens right now?

There can be rules set in place but this is just my idea that will never come to fruition in this country because people like you are so opposed to any sort of compromise with me. So I'm just throwing the idea out there to let you know that I don't think our 'free market' capitalism is working out that well for us and if the president wants to change it, that's probably better than what we're doing right now.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Forget about the bogus "war on terror."

America needs to be fighting the real war, the "war on ignorance."

To win this war, the public system of education needs to be destroyed, then rethought and rebuilt.

edit on 22-8-2013 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

reply to post by neo96

Nah, we'd be better off paying college students to go to college. Give them some incentive, fail too many semesters and you can't go back. Have fun with that HS diploma or pay for college yourself.

The incentive of going to college is supposed to be advanced learning while preparing yourself for a fulfilling career in the field of study that you undertook while in college.

Not to mention, I think most people understand how ineffective simply giving things to people is, as it does not instill any level of respect for what's been given, rather, it only creates the desire to have more given instead of earned.
edit on 8/22/2013 by ProfessorChaos because: tired typo

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

More time they are actually WORKING to provide for themselves.

Less time they are screwing me to pay for them.

That is how it's different.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I think you should pay for your own mortgage,birth control pills, and College Loans.

It's not because I hate people.

It's because I'm an adult.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I'm here to tell you that I think differently than you. Not because I hate you but because I don't want you to be lost in the world thinking you're always right because everyone agrees with you.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

reply to post by neo96

I'm here to tell you that I think differently than you. Not because I hate you but because I don't want you to be lost in the world thinking you're always right because everyone agrees with you.

Thats what I been telling Obama for the last five years.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I don't think he can hear you from ATS.

Some of the NSA might...but I'm not too sure of that either.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

reply to post by neo96

I don't think he can hear you from ATS.

Some of the NSA might...but I'm not too sure of that either.

He wouldn't be listening to me If i was standing next to him screaming in his ear

top topics

<<   2 >>

join