It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Mexico Supreme Court effectively ends religious liberty for individuals

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Taking an unpopular stand over an issue you disagree with the stander on = Bigoted!

THIS is logical and standard operating procedure for modern life now?

How is the popularity of some stand at all relevant? Homophobes have always been bigots.

Being against gay marriage does not make one homophobic.

I have nothing against homosexuals and have long been a proponent of civil unions for both homosexual and heterosexual couples, but I am against gay marriage for the very reasons that are brought up in this court decision, and what I believe it will eventually end in -- the destruction of the religious institution of marriage.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

You know what's going to be really funny? When people refuse to serve a Christian.

That's gonna be real fun to dig back up threads like these and throw it in their faces.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Refusing to photograph gay wedding is the very definition of a homophobe. If she would refuse to perform a religious activity then she'd have a case. Photography is not a religious practice.
edit on 22/8/2013 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Refusing to photograph gay wedding is the very definition of a homophobe.

As I've already said several times in this thread, her objection was with the ceremony, not with the people -- she was perfectly willing to photograph them, just not the ceremony, because supporting that was against her religious beliefs, which are supposed to be protected by the United States Constitution.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I'm all for gay marriage. But what I am against, is forcing people to do something that they don't want to do.

My rights end where theirs begin.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I'm all for gay marriage. But what I am against, is forcing people to do something that they don't want to do.

Woo hoo ! ! !

Hall pass for my drone and beer and pizza delivery service.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Woo hoo ! ! !

Hall pass for my drone and beer and pizza delivery service.

Just as long as I'm "free" to shewt it!

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Photography of anything is never a religious practice. Wheter it be any ceremony or any religious location. Also there is no such religion that "forbids the capture of images of gay weddings". Unless it's some new scientology thing.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Photography of anything is never a religious practice.

What does that have to do with anything?

War is not a religious practice, either, but Quakers and the Amish are given an exemption from serving in the United States military because of their religious belief in pacifism. See Quakers in the World - Conscientious Objection

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Say someone wanted to have a KKK rally.

And they hired a black photographer to document it. (wallet-sized, family photos)

And the black photographer didn't want to do it.
edit on 22-8-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

So what part of religious freedom are people missing ?

She doesn't believe in gay marriage right or wrong that is no one call to make, not governments, not her neighbors.

End of story.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by burdman30ott6

You know what's going to be really funny? When people refuse to serve a Christian.

That's gonna be real fun to dig back up threads like these and throw it in their faces.

Yeah, that'll be great considering that time's arrival will mean there's less than 7 years left on this Earth according to my Bible. For what it's worth, I already do get refused for services ocassionally... but tobacco use, a lack of fondness for wearing suits and a tie, and ocassionally trying to catch a meal after fishing all day having fish blood and egg cure all over myself aren't protected classes. Not that I begrudge those business owners the right to decide whether they want me in their establishment or not, mind you... plenty of other places to catch a meal or a drink.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

reply to post by evc1shop

But why would I want to impose my beliefs onto someone who thought differently?

Why would anyone?

Isn't the gay couple violating the photographers rights?

Well, and this is what is really boils down to: when you aren't wanted, go elsewhere. I don't disagree with that.

Of course, I likely wouldn't do business with that photographer in the future. But that would be my personal choice.

The thing is, if we are going to have such a thing as "protected classes", then this is what we get.

RE: hiring a muslim chef....the employee can choose to do what their job entails, or not. That is up to the employer. But the employer must provide services to everyone within the confines of the observed "protected classes". Thus, if the muslim chef doesn't want to prepare bacon, then that is an employee performance issue the restaurant has to work out. But if bacon is on the menu, then it must be served to everyone.

Otherwise, if you don't serve bacon, you don't serve bacon. That is the deal: if you serve it at all, it must be served to anyone.

As a businessman, I think people who make such stands are morons. Your business is not you. I personally detest celery, but it is served in my restaurant. My personal tastes, in a proper service environment, should have no bearing on my business (which is meant to serve people other than myself).

Refusing to service gay weddings is just an act of childish histrionics, imo. At least until someone can tell me how it really effects them in any way.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Freedom of religion isn't an excuse for discrimination. And yeah that is up to the government to decide and they've done so.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

you are acting like its ok to force someone to do something they don't want to.

Like if you are a camera man and happen to be a victim of a home invasion and are uncomfortable filming a scene for a movie that depicts such. By your logic it would be ok to fire said camera man because if he is going to work at all he should do everything his employer asks ....regardless of there being other willing camera men on staff to film the scene.

or if a black waiter is uncomfortable serving a known KKK member based on his views and is then sued by the clansman because he was denied the service of THAT particular waiter.

ect. You obviously have not thought this through. Its a programed knee jerk response to always side with anyone without considering all sides of an argument.

edit on 22-8-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Is there anyone you wouldn't serve, in your restaurant?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Refusing to service gay weddings is just an act of childish histrionics, imo. At least until someone can tell me how it really effects them in any way.

Then tell that to the current government/party in power telling me constantly they don't serve 'my kind'.

edit on 22-8-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tadaman

you are acting like its ok to force someone to do something they don't want to.

A person and a business are two different things. Businesses are allowed to operate, and can be shut down without a jury of 12 making the decision. People....takes a jury of 12 to unanimously terminate.

So, the point here is: it wasn't the lady being forced, it is her business. If she doesn't want to personally service this customer, then under the law she will need to have another employee do it. Otherwise, as the owner of the business, she is liable.

Obviously, if she had an LLC or something, the liability may vary....but you get the point.

link   

reply to post by neo96

Freedom of religion isn't an excuse for discrimination. And yeah that is up to the government to decide and they've done so.

Funny ?

Is that the same government who consistently discriminates against me ?

link   

Originally posted by neo96

Then tell that to the current government/partying in power telling me constantly they don't serve 'my kind'.

When you are ready, give me a time and a place. I'll tell them with you.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join